Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're both right. Ford and GM made lots of noise about going electric, but don't plan to do it anytime soon.

Detroit's near future based on SUVs, not EVs, production plans show

They created a facade to try to entice the Blackrocks, but don't dare stop their dividends to invest the needed billions in conversion to electric. They must know they can't compete with Tesla, so they aren't really trying (as Porsche just declared) and must be hoping they're too big to fail. Because of Corona, we may find out soon if they're right.

Edit: The Porsche declaration is described here:
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
So not only is EV competition not coming from US, Germany, Italy...those rabbits are running the the wrong direction. At this pace they will not ever catch the sloth, only get further and further behind. Elon Musk on Twitter

Yes, mine disappeared with everyone else’s and should in fact been gone several months earlier. Then I saw the tweet, checked my APP, and just like that they were back with the May 31st expiry.

It is very generous of Elon/Tesla and I feel the same way about people who whine and complain (about anything).
WIll you have superchargers on your island?

• Funny
Reactions: Unpilot
Except the article doesn't say what you are claiming. And there is no evidence that headway in reducing pollution levels would result in lower demand for EV's by "greens". It seems you just made that up.

And if cleaner air results in fewer deaths, which in turn means more overpopulation and more pollution, I guess it's helpless. Pollution is actually reducing pollution by killing more of us as we pollute more which, in turn, means less pollution! It seems we are in perfect balance! We should all just throw our hands up in the air in resignation because there is no point in cleaning up the air. :rolleyes:

This kind of lame thinking deserves to die a quick death!
I agree with your sentiment. As many have noted, one of the beneficial results of this pandemic is the reduction of air pollution. In fact, as anecdotal evidence, one sports talk show host noted the benefit and how humans can negatively or positively affect the world and nature and mentioned that he wanted to buy an EV after seeing the effect. Will he, who knows? But I think this could spur Tesla sales as people realize our collective impact on society and that we can influence it with our behavior and choices for the better.

@FrankSG, Kudos for you for recognizing the best fruit in the orchard without ever having tasted the fruit.

Well, the first shares I ever bought were purely because of Elon. I don't think I knew super much about Tesla, but I knew about Elon, and what made me want to invest was chapter 8 of his biography by Ashlee Vance. If Elon could continue to perform in 2008 while his life was falling apart, he was being publicly ridiculed from all sides, AND he went through a divorce... he can do freaking anything.

After that I started learning about Tesla in the form of Electrek, Elon's Twitter, earnings calls, and the WaitButWhy series on Tesla & Elon. It became obvious to me pretty quickly that Tesla would transform the industry. Over time I've gotten even more optimistic as the risk has diminished, I've come to understand the company in more detail, and I've learned from my own financial models the insane potential of autonomy.

So not only is EV competition not coming from US, Germany, Italy...those rabbits are running the the wrong direction. At this pace they will not ever catch the sloth, only get further and further behind. Elon Musk on Twitter

You do wonder how the cultural bent influences this.

I don't think it is unrelated that the US has a big motor/petrol culture; Italy has Ferrari/Maserati/Lambo/et al and Germany has always prided itself on its car industry and specifically its advanced ICE cars...……….

Maybe the manufacturers in countries with less cultural baggage will change the fastest?.

China is clearly unburdened by a past vehicle/racing culture (as maybe most of Asia) and parts of Europe are independent - look at the increase in EVs in Norway; Sweden; Netherlands etc.

This slow-to-respond manufacturer cultural inertia will not slow down the switch to EVs much but shift the power over to China; Tesla (yay!) and other start-up companies (and flexible manufacturers - I've been impressed by Hyundai/Kia)

I can imagine the reluctant German/US/European manufacturers crying into their spilt milk and broken cups in a few years. Would any government now bale out a manufacturer without clear transition timelines? If Elon is correct and most manufacturers barely make any money out of new cars (only back-up and spares), they could just stop making ICE cars (to their financial benefit). There are enough bloody ICE cars around now to last forever! Covid may have 'accidentally' kicked this change along...……….

Technically I'm staying in Kuala Lumpur at the moment, but Singapore is where I want to settle down and live for the rest of my life. I've spent 12 months in Singapore before, and I'm trying to move there ASAP. I think I should be able to in the next 1-2 years.

I've applied for an MBA program, as well as a Bachelor's degree program as a back-up (dropped out of uni the 1st time ~9 years ago). I should hear the outcome in 2-3 months. Finding a job in Singapore to get a work visa could be another way to move there, but work visas aren't that easy in Singapore, so I'm trying the business school/uni route first.

I indeed don't have a driver's license. I grew up in The Netherlands where bicycles are the main form of transport. I did take some driving lessons at some point, but my instructor was the biggest idiot I've met in all my years on this planet. He kept yelling at me and telling me how to live my life, which is something I absolutely can't stand. I didn't really need a license anyway, so I just quit.

Since then, I've lived in London, Tokyo, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur. The first three have amazing public transportation, and I love public transportation, so I've never needed a car. Kuala Lumpur's public transportation is rather bad, but taxis here are cheap, I live in the city center so I walk 99% of the time, and I'd rather buy more TSLA than a car anyway.

I have driven in Teslas a few times though. A month or so after I first invested in TSLA, I visited the Tesla Tokyo Aoyama store. I told them that I had no driver's license, but that I was a TSLA investor and a huge fan of Elon, and asked if I could get a test drive anyway. They made an appointment for me and said they would drive me around, but I ended up bringing a friend who drove. The friend said he would've bought a Model X on the spot if he hadn't just bought another SUV/CUV already :( I went a 2nd time with another friend, and also took my dad when I visited The Netherlands a few years ago. Every time I take a trip (most recently Taipei), I drool over and count all the Teslas I see :D And the first tourist attraction I go to in any new city is the local Tesla store :p

But yeah, at this point I don't expect I'll ever get a driver's license. I'm fine with public transportation and the occasional taxi, and soon self-driving will make a license even more useless to me.

And thanks for the kind comments about my blog posts and knowledge! <3

Just goes to show you don't have to be a heavy user to appreciate something.

Personally I have never been inside a Tesla. I haven't even had an extensive look at one from outside. There's enough Teslas here that I must have walked by parked ones many times but I never notice. I really don't have enough interest in cars as such that I notice what a parked one is at all. I don't care if I see a Porsche or a Subaru. It's like they don't really register. When I bike around a cars a car. Don't really notice them more than as some metal thing I should avoid getting hit by.

What I appreciate and see as the future is the technical and environmental improvements Tesla is doing to a sector that needed a shake-up.

I also have great hopes for Tesla Energy despite living in an apartment with no personal way to ever use solar or batteries. But it'll change the world.

That said I hope my stock will appreciate enough that in 10 years or whenever I retire I will have enough not just to live well on but also buy a Tesla and let FSD drive me around Europe while I sleep.

I agree with Elon Musk that overpopulation is not really an issue in the long term (assuming adoption of sustainable energy etc.). Birthrates are continuing to plummet around the world. If anything, governments may end up having to do more to encourage people to have children, as the Russian government is already doing. The solar system has ample resources to sustain a large human population for quite a while. It's also worth mentioning that those who advocate for "population control" generally value their own lives and would not desire to die prematurely.
It has nothing to do with killing anyone and everything to do with limiting future growth. Even "sustainable" technologies have impacts and limits, as does food production and waste disposal. Fewer people can live better with less impact on the planet. No species can survive unlimited growth.

Technically I'm staying in Kuala Lumpur at the moment, but Singapore is where I want to settle down and live for the rest of my life. I've spent 12 months in Singapore before, and I'm trying to move there ASAP. I think I should be able to in the next 1-2 years.

I've applied for an MBA program, as well as a Bachelor's degree program as a back-up (dropped out of uni the 1st time ~9 years ago). I should hear the outcome in 2-3 months. Finding a job in Singapore to get a work visa could be another way to move there, but work visas aren't that easy in Singapore, so I'm trying the business school/uni route first.

I indeed don't have a driver's license. I grew up in The Netherlands where bicycles are the main form of transport. I did take some driving lessons at some point, but my instructor was the biggest idiot I've met in all my years on this planet. He kept yelling at me and telling me how to live my life, which is something I absolutely can't stand. I didn't really need a license anyway, so I just quit.

Since then, I've lived in London, Tokyo, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur. The first three have amazing public transportation, and I love public transportation, so I've never needed a car. Kuala Lumpur's public transportation is rather bad, but taxis here are cheap, I live in the city center so I walk 99% of the time, and I'd rather buy more TSLA than a car anyway.

I have driven in Teslas a few times though. A month or so after I first invested in TSLA, I visited the Tesla Tokyo Aoyama store. I told them that I had no driver's license, but that I was a TSLA investor and a huge fan of Elon, and asked if I could get a test drive anyway. They made an appointment for me and said they would drive me around, but I ended up bringing a friend who drove. The friend said he would've bought a Model X on the spot if he hadn't just bought another SUV/CUV already :( I went a 2nd time with another friend, and also took my dad when I visited The Netherlands a few years ago. Every time I take a trip (most recently Taipei), I drool over and count all the Teslas I see :D And the first tourist attraction I go to in any new city is the local Tesla store :p

But yeah, at this point I don't expect I'll ever get a driver's license. I'm fine with public transportation and the occasional taxi, and soon self-driving will make a license even more useless to me.

And thanks for the kind comments about my blog posts and knowledge! <3
This explains part of what makes your posts so outstanding: you have made the entire world your home. You are not just thinking outside the box, you are living outside the box.

And while you have missed something joyful not driving a car for pleasure (and particularly a Tesla!), I concur with your conclusion that Elon and team will soon make drivers licenses unnecessary.

You have the kind of vision that would make an MBA degree very valuable. Good luck with that, and beyond.

The issue is that management is mostly compensated for meeting short term goals (earnings).
And if the company goes broke, they get their golden parachutes, so they really don't care whether the company survives or not--as long as they get theirs. Only the founder (and perhaps a very few executives--because there are always exceptions) cares because it's his or her baby.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with killing anyone and everything to do with limiting future growth. Even "sustainable" technologies have impacts and limits, as does food production and waste disposal. Fewer people can live better with less impact on the planet. No species can survive unlimited growth.

If we can master deep space travel and self-reliant colonies on other worlds it removes 99.999999% of the impediments to unlimited growth. While the growth potential technically still wouldn't be unlimited, it would be very close to it, at least compared to the growth potential without the ability to travel to other planetary systems.

In the interim, I agree, we should limit our birthrate to give us a higher chance of surviving as a species and eventually achieving interstellar travel. "Go forth and multiply" would be a good philosophy before there were enough humans to impact climate here on earth or after we have interstellar travel, but at this point in time it is a ridiculous concept in the extreme.

If we can master deep space travel and self-reliant colonies on other worlds it removes 99.999999% of the impediments to unlimited growth. While the growth potential technically still wouldn't be unlimited, it would be very close to it, at least compared to the growth potential without the ability to travel to other planetary systems.

In the interim, I agree, we should limit our birthrate to give us a higher chance of surviving as a species and eventually achieving interstellar travel. "Go forth and multiply" would be a good philosophy before there were enough humans to impact climate here on earth or after we have interstellar travel, but at this point in time it is a ridiculous concept in the extreme.
Go forth and multiply is basically shortened for "we need more cannon fodder".

It was in reaction to the comment about air pollution not killing as many people, and that potentially being a bad thing, that I made the comment about population control advocates valuing their own lives.

Today, much of the developed world has birthrates below the replacement rate. Just as rapid population growth can be very problematic, there are significant social costs associated with long term population declines. I won't go into that here. What I will say is that Tesla's mission is essential given our planet's current human population numbers.

Amazing, after Chanos mocked Elon on Twitter today, I mocked his short position, and now TSLAQ is putting me on their "list". I feel so proud!

Chamath already murdered and buried Chanos. Now you’re just referring to his pathetic husk. Chamath investment record makes Chanos look like an Imbicile.

Dead.

Chanos is a lawyer who haggles patients in the E.R. to represent them. He’s a husk. He’s a joke.

He isn’t worth even 1 second of your time, let him rest in pepperonis

Last edited:
I’m ready for Monday.

LETS GO.

I’m 100% on all fronts.

Attachments

• FAB05C0E-F04B-4E40-A34F-A9847B6B6BCD.jpeg
    FAB05C0E-F04B-4E40-A34F-A9847B6B6BCD.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 80