Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What method are you all using to get notified as soon as the earnings report is out?
Take a 5 minute breather after closing bell, pull up a TSLA after hours live ticker and when you see it spike heavily red or green you’ll know the outcome. Then come here, pull up the Tesla earnings page and prepare to cry tears of joy or sadness.

(tomorrow will be strange as guidance will likely weigh heavily on market moves. It’s not a certainty that Tesla reaffirms guidance or has a set date for reopening Fremont)

What method are you all using to get notified as soon as the earnings report is out?

I'm going to browse TMC until someone posts that it was released. :eek: Then, I'll go over to ir.tesla.com, not understand the results and look for any plain language on the release, then come back here for the smarter people to have posted that it's good/bad news.

Last edited:
So, current share stats for TSLA and TM:

TSLA
Market Cap: $141.8B
# shares outstanding: 184.4M

TM:
Market Cap: $176.5B

TSLA meets TM's current market cap at $176.5B / 184.4M or

$957.16 / share

I know that Lodger will help me out if my calculation is wrong. :)

Forget beating Toyota in market cap, what I like to know when TSLA will reach the $650B benchmark for Elon's 2018 compensation plan to be maxed out ("the 12 trenches"). He will get enough options for an additional 12% ownership of the company.

Question is: when will this be reached and what # of shares will be outstanding at that time. If shares outstanding doesn't increase, we will be at:

$3,524.95 / share

My hope/wish is for this to happen within 5 years.

I guess they won't be building the future anymore. Nor will they paint it black

Ford painted their future black when they bought that ad instead of making better products.
"Even in 2008, when Tesla was almost dying, I could not bring myself to advertise. I’d rather put the money into making the car better." —@elonmusk

Viv on Twitter

There's another possibility, however remote. Big Pharma and their captive media and government agencies could lose their power to suppress the following facts:

1) Common viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, are no match for a healthy immune system.

2) Unhealthy immune systems can be rescued in emergencies by megadoses of vitamin C and D, which stop the "cytokine storm" that destroys lung tissue in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. New drugs and vaccines to fight COVID-19 are unnecessary.
Orthomolecular News

3) Unhealthy immune systems can be healed in non-emergencies by losing excess weight (obesity is a major risk for severe COVID-19) and by getting off the drugs commonly prescribed for diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. These drugs increase ACE2 receptors in the lungs that provide entry for coronavirus, and are generally unnecessary because all common degenerative diseases can be prevented or cured by healthy diet and lifestyle.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid19-obesity-risk-factor
ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers may increase the risk of severe COVID-19, paper suggests
NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research

4) Animal agriculture, currently dominated by factory farms that require huge amounts of drugs, is the major source of pandemic viruses and drug-resistant bacteria, and a larger contributor to climate change than all of transportation. This double threat can be eliminated by transitioning to healthy whole-food plant-based diets.
Pandemics: History & Prevention | NutritionFacts.org
Livestock's Long Shadow - Wikipedia

5) In short, the science exists today to allow societies to reopen and live without fear of pandemics, without waiting for new drugs or vaccines. We just need to implement the science.

Will this hopeful news get out and stop the downward spiral of human health and the planet? It seems unlikely, given the immense power of certain industries (pharmaceutical, animal agriculture, processed food) and the reluctance of mainstream medicine to change.

On the other hand, the tobacco industry finally lost its great power over media, government, and the medical profession.
https://www.history.com/news/cigarette-ads-doctors-smoking-endorsement
And the oil industry finally lost its power to suppress climate science.
How the oil industry has spent billions to control the climate change conversation
And of course we know the powerful auto industry can be disrupted.

You can help disrupt the other industries that are killing people and the planet, by educating yourself and sharing the good news with the few people who will listen. Fundamental change often requires a 2-by-4 to the head, and coronavirus has delivered that. The Shanghai government now recommends Vitamin C for COVID-19, and clinical trials are currently underway in China to verify previous successful trials for other viruses. Maybe China will become a leader in both BEVs and non-drug medicine. That news might be hard to suppress.
Shanghai Government Officially Recommends Vitamin C for COVID-19
Vitamin C Evidence for Treating Complications of COVID-19 and other Viral Infections

That's the silver lining I hope for, so all the tragic deaths and suffering from coronavirus will not have been in vain.

A remarkably informative and on-topic post, yet a full 19 "Disagrees" (so far)?

TSLA would be a 4-figure stock but for CV-19, and this salient post sums up quite clearly why it's not . . . and a voice of sanity is voted down.

We may be in worse shape than I thought if the early adopters that own and invest in TSLA, and read this thread with frequency, are stuck in OLD-THINK, unable to see the clear facts before them. (And that have been known for decades for those that were paying attention.)

Perhaps this thread needs Bill Maher to explain the facts in a more humorous manner so we can finally get to 4-figures?

Hopefully not too close to home, but very much on-topic not just for TSLA but for life itself:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Winston Churchill

Here's the unique tip that will help both the TSLA investor, and those concerned about being healthy while leaving a usable planet for others: Don't be like "most men."

Last edited:
Wow, Elon should really STFU:
Elon Musk on Twitter
This can do nothing but cause grief. Along with (Elon Musk on Twitter).

For those of you who don't do Twitter, that's "FREE AMERICA NOW" (yes, all caps) and "Bravo Texas!" in reply to a tweet stating that Texas is opening various businesses on Friday. Has he learned nothing?

Lets not turn this into another Coronavirus thread, but I will say that Overlord Musk is entitled to his own opinion. He has a vastly different experience than any of us here on this thread. Further, he has GF Shanghai, so has direct experience in how to run a company in a Coronavirus situation.

Elon Musk on Twitter

For those of you who don't do Twitter, that's "FREE AMERICA NOW" (yes, all caps) and "Bravo Texas!" in reply to a tweet stating that Texas is opening various businesses on Friday. Has he learned nothing?
So long it's not "funding secured", he's entitled to have his opinion although I would rather Tesla negotiate with the county to run the factory at reduced capacity.

Elon Musk on Twitter

You don't get to 33 million twitter followers without being edgy.

A remarkably informative and on-topic post, yet a full 19 "Disagrees" (so far)?

TSLA would be a 4-figure stock but for CV-19, and this salient post sums up quite clearly why it's not . . . and a voice of sanity is voted down.

We may be in worse shape than I thought if the early adopters that own and invest in TSLA, and read this thread with frequency, are stuck in OLD-THINK, unable to see the clear facts before them. (And that have been known for decades for those that were paying attention.)

Perhaps this thread needs Bill Maher to explain the facts in a more humorous manner so we can finally get to 4-figures?

Hopefully not too close to home, but very much on-topic not just for TSLA but for life itself:

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Winston Churchill

Here's the unique tip that will help both the TSLA investor, and those concerned about being healthy while leaving a usable planet for others: Don't be like "most men."
The vitamin cr*p from “Orthomolecular News” did it for me. Stopped reading after that.

I think Amazon will back or buy Rivian, simply because they would be reluctant to purchase vehicles from Telsa.

Other EV competitors will emerge, we are likely to see more consolidation...

I don't think Tesla has any current intention to abuse a monopoly or market lead, either in EVs or RoboTaxis.
But at some stage I think governments will act to ensure their country has a viable car industry, China and Germany will have at least one domestic car maker in addition to Tesla. Japan and/or Korea will have a car maker..

If Tesla decides to abuse a monopoly position that would just make governments more likely to act, and create opportunities for the competition...

We may see a final carve up like this:-
  • China 30%
  • Tesla 25%
  • Germany 20%
  • Japan 10%
  • Korea 10%
  • Other 5% (Amazon Rivian?)
Tesla is at 25% of the current car market or around 20 Million cars per year, until RoboTaxis and improved longevity start to shrink the market.

My argument is I can't see a compelling reason why Tesla will not get to that 25%

Concur, but also question what appears to be history/rivalry between Jeff B and Elon M.

Anyone have an idea as to why there's always (apparently) been friction there? There could have been symbiosis (Blue Origin and SpaceX for one huge missed opportunity), but instead Jeff appears to harbor ill will toward Elon.

(And think of what an AMZN boost would have provided to TSLA years ago!)

Reactions: MC3OZ
The vitamin cr*p from “Orthomolecular News” did it for me. Stopped reading after that.

Sadly, history repeats.
...British navel surgeon James Lind figured out that citrus fruit could treat scurvy. Scurvy is caused by a deficiency of Vitamin C... Lind published his big book on scurvy in 1753, but the hidebound British Admiralty would have nothing to do with the results until 1795; the merchant navy held out until 1867. Even later, polar expeditions didn’t take the citrus-juice-proof to heart, with the result that many explorers met an unnecessary death on the ice.
A medical trial is one thing. Getting it publicized is another. And changing people’s minds as a result is yet one more thing, perhaps the hardest of all.

Ignoring the Cure for Scurvy | JSTOR Daily

Elon Musk on Twitter

Nah you gotta start fighting the govt. If the county officials think they can just keep extending and extending without facing any resistance, they will take it through June.