Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe late to the discussion about Elon's 'fascist' tweet, but I did a tiny bit of google search:

The Alameda County sheriff’s ties to the racist far right

Now add the fact that Chevron has a huge refinery in Alameda county and spends lots of money influencing local elections - there are other Oil refineries there too.
So, putting 1 & 1 together I can see that Elon is fighting a pretty tough battle to re-open Fremont against an Oil company influenced fascist sympathizing sheriff.

I get it. Sounds horrible. But there are multiple dozens of questions you could be asking about this instead of just reading an article that has determined the outcome for you. There are some really pragmatic questions about this specific topic. It is not as black and white as Trump EPA bad, Trump Policy promotes pollution, Bad Trump. Emotional topics like this typically blinds people from asking the other questions or seeing the gray. That is why fears works so well to move people the way they want. You are correct that this is not for this thread but my original post was and was just a response to what was already being discussed.

Btw, gotta love how you throw in your own political view point then tell me to go take it elsewhere because I'm off topic. Classic.

If you want to see a lot of people trip over their politics try discussing Texas's runaway success with renewable energy... largely attributable to their light regulatory environment and free market principals.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"Texas already ranks first in the US in wind power capacity. It is now on its way to having the second-most solar PV capacity in the country after California. But unlike California, with a goal of 100 per cent clean energy by 2045, the Lone Star state is adding sun power through the incentives of a competitive electricity market. Operated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot), more than half the proposed project capacity queueing for a grid connection in that market is industrial-scale solar, records show.

Moving renewable electricity from the vastness of the west to eastern cities such as Dallas and Houston was aided by special transmission lines the state authorised 15 years ago. Designed to handle wind power, they are now easing the flow of solar too. A light-touch regulatory approach, popular with oil and gas executives, has also attracted the solar industry. “It’s Texas: there’s very little in the way of planning laws or restrictions. It’s pretty streamlined from the point of view of permitting and getting connections. So you can develop an asset pretty quickly,” says Chris Archer, head of Americas at Macquarie’s Green Investment Group, a solar and wind developer with projects in Texas.

Green energy builders have encountered pushback in states where the urgency of climate change is widely embraced. New York governor Andrew Cuomo — now in the international spotlight as he addresses the country’s largest coronavirus outbreak — aims to get 70 per cent of the state’s electricity from renewables by 2030, but upstate towns have fought to keep solar panels out of farmland, while beachfront denizens of Long Island have opposed an offshore wind project. No such hurdles confronted Innergex Renewable Energy’s $400m, 250MW Phoebe project in Winkler county, Texas, says Michel Letellier, chief executive. The desert soil was easy to lease and to drive piles into. “Texas is a nice place for business,” Mr Letellier adds. “Maybe it’s because they carry guns — they are very polite.”

The grid operated by the non-profit body Ercot is largely disconnected from the interstate transmission networks to the east and west of Texas, exempting it from federal oversight. Its market rules are distinctive. Generators are only paid for the energy that they sell, not for having capacity at the ready. Wholesale prices that average about $40 per megawatt-hour are allowed to climb as high as $9,000 per MWh when demand surges on the hottest afternoons, a potential windfall for generators. Solar farms’ output crests when the sun is highest, enabling them to participate in these sales. “The Ercot power market is designed to be the ultimate competitive market,” Mr Archer says.

“[Texas] is a large, deregulated market. Users of electricity have a choice in who they buy electricity from and the type of energy that they buy,” Ms Palmer says. “I think that’s been another driver of the large uptake of renewables in the state.”

Maybe late to the discussion about Elon's 'fascist' tweet, but I did a tiny bit of google search:

Now add the fact that Chevron has a huge refinery in Alameda county and spends lots of money influencing local elections - there are other Oil refineries there too.
So, putting 1 & 1 together I can see that Elon is fighting a pretty tough battle to re-open Fremont against an Oil company influenced fascist sympathizing sheriff.

We can do better than conspiracy theories.

Well, according to the article, "the sheriff" follows Fox News. Maybe he saw that latest Tesla promo.

Would someone with a Twitter account suggest to Elon that he find an upstanding law enforcement officer to run against Gregory Ahern? And then fund the sugar out of his new candidate! Elon's a smart man so he probably would wait until this is shutdown is favorably resolved anyway, but it can't hurt to have that idea floating in the public space on Twitter. I'm pretty sure Ahern doesn't want to lose his position!

I wonder when his term expires.

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Will be popular but first crash will make very negative headlines:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Pokemon Go whilst driving. You're going to have multiple kids in the back seat demanding their parents drive in different directions - left for Pikachu says the son, right for ice cream says the daughter...

He may be looking ahead to when self driving is in use. It can take years to develop games on new platforms.

If you want to see a lot of people trip over their politics try discussing Texas's runaway success with renewable energy... largely attributable to their light regulatory environment and free market principals.
Love it. How ironic that Texas will clearly be the first state to 100% solar/wind.

I see this happening and was thinking yesterday about this very topic, so here is my idea... roughly.

Lets say you have a favorite piece of road u love to drive hard. A first, u run thu it and record the video and position of you car.

Now you go home and that road is now a racing game and u can race yourself. The initial recorded version is agmented into the video as a ghost car that u try to beat. When u think ur better, take another recording in real life. Back in the garage, the pace of the video is set by your driving the sim.

Virtual racing, your track, agaist yourself or others, real time or async. All possible.

Go for it Tesla! Maybe I should respond to the tweet directly, but Id be suprised that someone at Tesla hasn't already thought of this.
It sounds all interesting and what not especially if you could upload yours to a database others could then download and try to beat. Best times stats, etc. but there’s always that pesky problem of racing around on back roads like a banshee is illegal as hell and ridiculously dangerous. Not a real good look.

An effective therapy has already appeared and could restore confidence quickly, but it is not one that the pharmaceutical industry wants promoted.

I wish everyone would take a few minutes to learn about it and spread the news, because media dependent on drug advertising will not do it, just as media dependent on car advertising will not be fair to Tesla.

Protected Group Immunity, Not a Vaccine, is the Way to Stop the COVID-19 Pandemic
by Richard Z. Cheng, MD, PhD

Dr. Cheng is Associate Director of three current clinical trials in China, according to this source.
His impressive curriculum vitae is here.
His article's many references are mostly peer-reviewed medical journals, as you can see for yourself.
Sweeden did this, although conditions in NY suggest a need for some throttling. And so true on the media comment. Meanwhile, Heard understanding can get derailed by this.

To be clear, these views are what only you can allow into your mind. They are rational if you have the facts and listen. It is one valid approach among many. I think it's the best one if we want humans to survive the n+1 virus before we are masters of our own individual DNA.

Someone on Reddit conducted a comment sentiment analysis for comments that contained "Elon Musk."

kenwlv2ndkw41.png

I can't actually figure out what happened May last year that would have decreased the sentiment of the average comment about Elon, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't look like his current comments are moving the public opinion needle too much.

EDIT: Maybe this memo in May 2019 explains the last decrease in sentiment? Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes So in terms of PR on Reddit his recent tweets are about as unpopular as the "we'll be out of cash in 10 months if we don't make hardcore changes" memo.

Last edited:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"Texas already ranks first in the US in wind power capacity. It is now on its way to having the second-most solar PV capacity in the country after California. But unlike California, with a goal of 100 per cent clean energy by 2045, the Lone Star state is adding sun power through the incentives of a competitive electricity market. Operated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot), more than half the proposed project capacity queueing for a grid connection in that market is industrial-scale solar, records show.

Moving renewable electricity from the vastness of the west to eastern cities such as Dallas and Houston was aided by special transmission lines the state authorised 15 years ago. Designed to handle wind power, they are now easing the flow of solar too. A light-touch regulatory approach, popular with oil and gas executives, has also attracted the solar industry. “It’s Texas: there’s very little in the way of planning laws or restrictions. It’s pretty streamlined from the point of view of permitting and getting connections. So you can develop an asset pretty quickly,” says Chris Archer, head of Americas at Macquarie’s Green Investment Group, a solar and wind developer with projects in Texas.

Green energy builders have encountered pushback in states where the urgency of climate change is widely embraced. New York governor Andrew Cuomo — now in the international spotlight as he addresses the country’s largest coronavirus outbreak — aims to get 70 per cent of the state’s electricity from renewables by 2030, but upstate towns have fought to keep solar panels out of farmland, while beachfront denizens of Long Island have opposed an offshore wind project. No such hurdles confronted Innergex Renewable Energy’s $400m, 250MW Phoebe project in Winkler county, Texas, says Michel Letellier, chief executive. The desert soil was easy to lease and to drive piles into. “Texas is a nice place for business,” Mr Letellier adds. “Maybe it’s because they carry guns — they are very polite.”

The grid operated by the non-profit body Ercot is largely disconnected from the interstate transmission networks to the east and west of Texas, exempting it from federal oversight. Its market rules are distinctive. Generators are only paid for the energy that they sell, not for having capacity at the ready. Wholesale prices that average about $40 per megawatt-hour are allowed to climb as high as $9,000 per MWh when demand surges on the hottest afternoons, a potential windfall for generators. Solar farms’ output crests when the sun is highest, enabling them to participate in these sales. “The Ercot power market is designed to be the ultimate competitive market,” Mr Archer says.

“[Texas] is a large, deregulated market. Users of electricity have a choice in who they buy electricity from and the type of energy that they buy,” Ms Palmer says. “I think that’s been another driver of the large uptake of renewables in the state.”

Here's a post I made a few months ago regarding solar, wind and the Texas grid.
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Nature, good competitive policy and the CREZ transmission buildout are finishing off coal power production in Texas. When we can get grid storage in the mix, NG is done.

And if you really want to trip over your politics, the deregulation policy that enabled all this was instigated by GW Bush and Rick Perry :eek::D

Does the sheriff set policy?

wish everyone would take a few minutes to learn about it and spread the news, because media dependent on drug advertising will not do it, just as media dependent on car advertising will not be fair to Tesla.

My dad always told me the day it started was when they bought Prevention Magazine. It change it's tune overnight.

This even harder for most - to consider that the media FUD on Tesla is similar to what the AMA (medical experts) want us to believe. Tough pill... but supported by Opiod crimes, sugar, lead pipes, and cigarrettes to name a few. Throw in Monsanto and it"s a house of cards with human health on a very fast decline with poisons everywhere.

Would love to see a clinical trial on vitamines vs covid. What's there to lose in this war? Yet it will never be allowed or tried. It is a monopoly just like oil and auto. And I'm not some parroting Elon follower, this is not new, just in our faces, can't ignore, been happening long before Elone was born.

Not sure what to believe. From Northern Europe, but profile says Oakland California (very specific and explicit). Been investing in TSLA 3-4 years, but account is created today. Why all the hiding?

View attachment 538307

I am not sure I get your post... I am following this forum since a long time, but never really subscribed... however I have always read it with interest... I am originally from Stavanger, Norway but have been living in the Bay Area for several years now... I was looking for some suggestion to my personal situation, and some feedback on what I should do next... if you care to explain, I am here to listen...

• Helpful
Reactions: hobbes
I was able to avoid liquidating in 2019 when the stock dropped below 250 by buying Puts every week to make my margin calls go away. My brokerage account has a "Margin Calculator" that lets you see what you need to buy to make the margin call go away. You might need to buy Puts with 500 SP, or maybe 300. Plug the numbers into the calculator (to see how many you need to buy and at what SP). In the end I spent a few thousand dollars buying Putts that I knew would expire worthless every week in order to hold onto my shares that are now worth much, much more. Good luck.

P.S. - I could not do the trades on-line because with the margin call, it said I didn't have the money to buy the Puts. However, by calling and talking to a broker each week, they would let me buy the Puts on margin because doing so would make the margin call go away immediately.

P.P.S - I was buying one week at a time because we were close to the bottom when the SP got around the 200 level. If I bought new Puts on the Friday (before the expiring ones expired), I would have been able to do them online because I would not have a new margin call yet, but it was cheaper to buy the new Puts each Monday. Because the SP could drop a lot over the next month, you will need to decide if it makes more sense to spend more to buy Puts that expire 1-3 months from now rather than one week from now. The problem is you will need to buy a lot of them (possibly enough to cover all your shares), and they will probably expire worthless in the end, so you have to figure out what money you are willing to throw away to keep your shares.

Thank you SO MUCH for the advice... this is truly the best I have received so far... this is what I was looking for. I will definitely buy puts so to hedge my long bet, and get the margin call way! Thanks again! Extremely helpful...

Reactions: BornToFly