Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said. These country health officials are not elected, they don't have as much pressure from the economic impacts. Besides, most bay area companies do fine with work at home.
There are actually 6 criteria for loosening the restrictions. The three directly related to Corvid-19 spread and hospital capacity are all checked, and the three not yet checked are all tied to bureaucratic operations (not enough testing, not enough staff for contact tracing, and not enough PPE).
Bay Area has 6 criteria for loosening coronavirus restrictions. Here’s where each county is now

Average public health officer salary around SF is $141K:
Public Health Medical Officer Salaries in San Francisco, CA | Paysa

So yeah, they are not hurry.

SF Bay area is still shut down because of a failure of the public health departments and the political leadership to fund them.

"Case counts and hospitalization reports, two key gauges of the status of the outbreak, have either stabilized or are starting to decline. That means counties are starting to slow or even stop the spread of the virus.

But testing in all six counties is far below the goals set for the region — in some places it needs to increase seven-fold to meet targets. Most of the counties do not yet have a strong enough contact tracing program to effectively prevent future outbreaks. And most, if not all, do not have a large enough stockpile of protective equipment to safeguard health care workers if the number of patients rises.

Without those key resources in place, the region can’t lift shelter-in-place orders, say public health and infectious disease experts."

"Public health officers said it’s possible they will loosen further restrictions before the end of the month. On Friday, Gov. Gavin Newsom said at a briefing that the state could be “many days, not weeks” from lifting some shelter-in-place directives.

But those decisions depend on state and regional metrics moving in the right directions, and much of that progress is in the hands of public health authorities — to increase testing capacity, for example, and to hire workers to do labor-intensive contact tracing."

Added: This really irks me. We are like 15 to 20 weeks into this situation. The government public health departments established metrics at least 6 weeks ago. And we need to be increasing public capabilities in some areas still by 7 times?

I would like Elon Musk to temporarily run these counties, he would get the resources allocated and replace the people who aren't getting their jobs done!

Bay Area has 6 criteria for loosening coronavirus restrictions. Here’s where each county is now

Last edited:
From Carsonight 4 hours ago

Carsonight on Twitter
9BDD609A-6C79-42BD-99B2-466BB0894109.png

I posted email from Tesla directly saying they were opening today. Not sure why there is debate.

I didn't put quotes because I may not have got it word for word, which can be important for sure! So if you caught that good on you.
That said, without vast antibody testing that was highly accurate where on earth does this 3% number come from? What if it's 30% that were exposed, how does that change the false positive? Is she suggesting all a-symptomatic positives are false positives? There's just too much speculation here for me.
It definitely feels like Elon's moving forward with production next week regardless of what county officials say. At this point after listening to county official's reasoning, I'm with Elon. Let your lawyers take up the issue.

My point was, if you're going to worry about how to pay for the healthcare, it's a lot easier to pay for it when everyone is not unemployed! Otherwise, the cost gets added onto everyone else bills and hospitals go bankrupt. It's the exact opposite of what you were saying - that the cost of the healthcare becomes a bigger problem if we open the economy back up.

Well duh!! Why didn't I think of that about being unemployed :eek:. Actually my statement was that in one way or another the cost of all the hospitalizations will fall on someone. Period. So many people here are reading into people's comments and going off on tangents that weren't even intended and the board fills up with the back and forth. This forum thread has a number of people blowing off steam or whatever but it doesn't make for a pleasant exchange or read.

To get off of cv19 and back to Tesla, China today loaned Tesal $565 million for the Shanghai factory.

Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory

How many bay area experienced phone customer relations and sales people have been furloughed? How many SF companies would have said hey give us a short term contract and the 20 hours of training and we will provide the contact tracing personnel?

leave it to the government and what you get instead is....

“Before this pandemic, we had about a dozen staff” doing contact tracing, said Dr. Chris Farnitano, the Contra Costa County health officer, during a town hall meeting Thursday. “Those are very, very small numbers. We’ve scaled that up to over 80 staff. But we need to scale up even more.”

45 minutes ago Elon liked a meme about Lord of the Rings. So take that as a positive indicator if you will: Login on Twitter
Andy Serkis, the actor who played Gollum in the LOTR and the Hobbit read the entire Hobbit from 2AM till about 1 pm Pacific time today. I loved it. Now I am wondering if Elon watched it as well. If so please discount any thing he says today do to sleep deprivation.

A number of people have referenced oil interests as a possible nefarious influencer on Alameda's refusal to let Tesla open in Fremont. I have to do some more research, but from my time in the Bay Area, I always associated Big Oil with the adjacent county, Contra Costa. The big refineries and tanker facilities are heavily concentrated in the city of Richmond. Perhaps others can diabetes me of this notion.

Frankly, I just see typical local incompetence and a stunningly misguided but predictable abuse by the parochial politicians of Alameda County who've had a taste from the well of power. It wouldn't be the first time. See the Oakland, er, Las Vegas Raiders. And, I believe Tesla is the largest private sector employer in the county. Giving Tesla the finger is unbelievably stupid.

My assumption is that she knows what the oil companies told her.

A number of people have referenced oil interests as a possible nefarious influencer on Alameda's refusal to let Tesla open in Fremont. I have to do some more research, but from my time in the Bay Area, I always associated Big Oil with the adjacent county, Contra Costa. The big refineries and tanker facilities are heavily concentrated in the city of Richmond. Perhaps others can diabetes me of this notion.

Frankly, I just see typical local incompetence and a stunningly misguided but predictable abuse by the parochial politicians of Alameda County who've had a taste from the well of power. It wouldn't be the first time. See the Oakland, er, Las Vegas Raiders. And, I believe Tesla is the largest private sector employer in the county. Giving Tesla the finger is unbelievably stupid.
Could be those mischievous shorts too...we know some of the lengths they go to create FUD on stock they are short. It’s expected that Tesla and other local businesses will push to get re-opened ASAP...but what is not obvious nor expected is some other businesses in this case may very well be lobbying behind the scenes or via their proxies with these Alameda local officials to be most conservative in state (e.g. agents of Hedge Fund managers short TSLA or Big Oil or other OEMs who are not part of Alameda County manufacturing in any way).

could also be a coincidence that Tesla just happens to operate in the CA county that is most conservative (defying CA Governor Newsom’s guidance even) in shutting businesses down longer and potentially indefinitely If shorts were to get their way.

I don’t see it as coincidence and think there is more than meets the eye going on here, I’m
Pretty good at smelling BS and something very suspicious to me here.

Last edited:
I got back into TSLA today. While I was out this week, I played three stocks to do well after their earnings reports. They were companies actually benefiting from the coranavirus lockdown. I got lucky with all of them, ATVI, BYND and PTON, then quickly cashed out. Today I also bought IIVI for its earnings report coming on Monday, and SFM which reported its earnings on Tuesday but is strong technically. :cool:

Everyone thinks Curt bailed on TSLA to move into a more conservative retirement approach, while in reality his is skeebop bipbapping trades around us like a true OG.

Do you predict that TSLA will get back down to $500 again in the next few months or is it going to keep going up like amazon?

There are no absolutes in investing. If the virus surges badly in summer and the macros tank, TSLA will suffer. I don't expect that situation to happen, however. I think a few states will move too quickly away from precautions and they'll have to backtrack, but most states will do just fine as the economy reopens.

TSLA has been just chomping at the bit to rise above 800 and the reopening of Fremont factory was the only missing ingredient. Even a planned reopening with question marks today allowed TSLA to top 820. Look at how many analysts are giving 900 and above price targets lately. Even if Q2 is weak for Tesla, sufficient demand return and the promise of a better Q3 will keep upward pressure on the stock.

Bottom line: It's not about Q2, it's about what lies beyond Q2.

This email quoted in the article above was new for me, gives a bit more color regarding communications between Alameda county and Tesla:
“Tesla has been informed that they do not meet those criteria and must not reopen,” a spokesperson for the county health department said in an email. “We welcome Tesla’s proactive work on a reopening plan so that once they fit the criteria to reopen, they can do so in a way that protects their employees and the community at large.”

This email quoted in the article above was new for me, gives a bit more color regarding communications between Alameda county and Tesla:

"“We welcome Tesla’s proactive work on a reopening plan ..."

So basically, Tesla provided every reasonable reason to re-open, and Alameda County, either through abuse of power or incompetence, decided to slam the door close.

The Bay Area is becoming quite a Xi't Show.

The counties have formed a conspiracy, and set almost impossible re-opening goals.
Possible upcoming actions:
1. Admit they are wrong and modify the opening criteria.
2. Extend the shutdown forever.
3. Legal warfare.
4. "disappear" Elon.

IMO for an important factory like Fremont the state governor should be making the decision and should be working proactively with county officials and Tesla to safely reopen the factory.

I'm fine with country officials making decisions on local small businesses and public spaces, seems to me the state governor passed the buck knowing the likely outcome... So why hasn't there been a high level meeting with all relevant parties thrashing out a decision...

I still think they will open soon and local county officials will not be too keen to go to Fremont and arrest Elon.
Elon will be happy to be arrested, in no other country in the world would that happen.
Most places would have thrashed out a sensible and reasonable compromise weeks ago.