Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
retail investors are less likely to price things like this in imo. certainly the big players will, but the only way retail investors sell is when they become aware of this connection, which could be tuesday, or it could be q2 earnings.
This is just one article from May 4: Hertz Reportedly Prepares To File For Bankruptcy; Stock Plunges

All I can say is any retail investor in GM that wasn't already aware of Hertz' impending bankruptcy and how it might affect GM stock is pretty ignorant. GM also dipped May 4 when it became obvious Hertz would file.

The proof will be in the pudding Tuesday morning but I don't expect much action on GM because of a previously well-known fact.

This is just one article from May 4: Hertz Reportedly Prepares To File For Bankruptcy; Stock Plunges

All I can say is any retail investor in GM that wasn't already aware of Hertz' impending bankruptcy and how it might affect GM stock is pretty ignorant. GM also dipped May 4 when it became obvious Hertz would file.

The proof will be in the pudding Tuesday morning but I don't expect much action on GM because of a previously well-known fact.

That sounds like a good logical argument but the after hours 32% drop in hertz itself seems to suggesting the 1st degree impact wasn't fully anticipated, if the 1st degree impact wasn't anticipated how could the second be fully anticipated

That sounds like a good logical argument but the after hours 32% drop in hertz itself seems to suggesting the 1st degree impact wasn't fully anticipated, if the 1st degree impact wasn't anticipated how could the second be fully anticipated
Yeah, that'll leave a mark. Closer to -50% factoring in the dead cat bounce. 38K employees just lost their pensions... :(

NYSE.HTZ.Bankrupcy.2020-05-22.png

If anything the overwhelmingly majority of communities have had 3 months to understand the implications of an underwhelmed health care system. It is just painful to see these analogies. There's a manic depressive group over in the corona thread. They are in the depressive state right now. Misery loves company.

Turns out TSLA investors aren't as brave or optimistic as you think. It is rather ironic.

A lot of self-selection going on in the choice of which thread to spend time on. Perhaps the worried mostly flock to the corona thread, and the optimists/deluded/uncertain are here because they can only take so much of the political suppression of medical best practices. I find myself slightly more optimistic recently (partly shutdown fatigue and partly data driven), but definitely in the camp of people who have long-term concerns and doubtful of a Y-shaped recovery.

M

My uninformed opinion - no one is going to submit to another shutdown, and no politician is going to further decimate the economy. This is in the medical community’s court now, vaccine or no vaccine. They will have had 6+ months to prepare.
+1

Dr. Fauci, who has been very conservative re: lockdowns had this to say to CNBC on Friday:

“We can’t stay locked down for such a considerable period of time that you might do irreparable damage and have unintended consequences, including consequences for health”

Austin has no earthquakes, nothing pre-existing underground except solid rock, and plenty of "gentrification" going on that would allow for subway stations to be constructed. Also has pre-existing traffic problems - there is not much in the way of East-to-West road travel. 11th biggest city in the USA and (I think) the largest American city that has no subway.

Austin has massive bedrock. It makes building above ground easy and below ground difficult. This is why there are so few buried power lines. I am not saying The Boring Company couldn't tunnel. It would just be more challenging and undoubtedly slower.

Austin has massive bedrock. It makes building above ground easy and below ground difficult. This is why there are so few buried power lines. I am not saying The Boring Company couldn't tunnel. It would just be more challenging and undoubtedly slower.
Tunneling in bedrock is preferable. The tunnel is self-supporting, less ground water issues, less need for lining with concrete, etc.

Jaguar seeks state loan as coronavirus pandemic takes toll

- Jaguar Land Rover is in talks with the British government about a request for temporary state funding of more than 1 billion pounds ($1.22 billion), Sky News reported on Saturday.

“The claim is inaccurate and speculative,” Jaguar Land Rover said in an emailed statement to Reuters.

Source: Jaguar seeks state loan as coronavirus pandemic takes toll: Sky News

Brazil is a completely bogus comparison, for many reasons.
Why? The USA and Brazil share many common characteristics, many of the bad:
The Presidents are nearly clones, admittedly the Brazil one has marginally better grammar, marginally, although the US one tends to avoid outright profanity.
Both countries have hospitals in poor areas that are grossly deficient plus ones in poor urban locations that are overwhelmed. Both have rich people very well served.
Both have carelessly distorted political statements masquerading as truth.
Both have high infestation rates, as far as we know, but testing and case epidemiology is pretty much ignored so we don't know.

As a citizen and legal resident of both I really cannot see much difference. My locale is well served and protected in both. manual laborers and poor people are treated abysmally in both. Residents of nursing homes, jails and hospital workers are seriously at risk in both.

What is the difference, apart for that eternal habit of USA exceptionalism. It just ain't so! Not while the electoral college, gerrymandering and voter suppression reign high in the US. At least in Brazil everyone is required to vote and voter suppression does not exist.

From a recent talk, Elon said the 3 line is more complex, but it works now so there is no motivation to change it.
My take is that Fremont will stay as is, but future plants/ body lines will be set up with Y style castings.
Do you have a link to the comments?
I remember he said the new paint shop in GF4 won’t be retrofitted to Fremont, but don’t remember he mentioned body shop.
But I kind of agree since they could build new Model Y line in under a year, and probably cheaper, it would make sense to just keep existing Model 3 capacity and shift more to performance model.

Do you have a link to the comments?
I remember he said the new paint shop in GF4 won’t be retrofitted to Fremont, but don’t remember he mentioned body shop.
But I kind of agree since they could build new Model Y line in under a year, and probably cheaper, it would make sense to just keep existing Model 3 capacity and shift more to performance model.
It was the recent Third Row podcast with Elon and Sandy.

The Redesign Of The Tesla Model Y Body Was Inspired By A Toy Car | CleanTechnica

Musk said that it was likely the tech would make its way into the Model 3 as well. “It’s probably something we would do, but maybe in like 2 years.” He commented that the design of the Model 3 body was a pain in the ass, but it worked. “We have to deal with the pain in the asses that don’t work. Those are the higher priorities,” he said.