Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if we'll get a bump from the launch but if something were to go badly(praying it goes smoothly and according to plan), the stock would definitely be hit. We'd probably hear some sort of FUD about how SpaceX is now worth less and somehow Elon is in danger of being margin called lol. Yes I know the stock would have to drop to like $100......won't stop FUD'sters from bringing out that old horse from the stable.
My impression was that very positive or negative spacex events had a small temporary impact on the stock price. I imagine they also had impact on Tesla car sales. Positive spacex stories are free Tesla advertisements.

I don't know. Nowadays kids have seen all kinds of space movies, without or without aliens. I wonder if going back into space in reality still commands the same sort of inspiration.
There were lots of space movies and TV shows back in the 1950s (admittedly the graphics weren't that great). So, yes, it still commands the same sort of inspiration.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
. In 2024 SpaceX is returning America to the Moon. I would trade all that possess to be twelve years old.
I am glad you asked. No problem. Biological age is measured by the so called Horvath clock. see analysis of a paper show rats age being reduced by 54%. David Sinclair, PhD on Twitter is 54% not enogh? do not worry. It is high tech. It will get better very fast.

Just to illustrate a real-life example and not necessarily directed at you:

For those that may not know, in the US this would be a prime example of a wash sale, meaning that the loss taken on the options cannot be deducted from profits for the year until those additional TSLA shares purchased today (or within +/- 30 days) are sold.
It gets tricky because sometimes you may take a loss on options but inadvertently wash the sale to a really long-term holding (shares), meaning you basically never get to take the benefit on taxes. This is unfortunately true even if your loss is in a play (taxed) account and your shares are purchased in a (non-taxed) retirement account. Only way it doesn’t matter is if the loss occurs in a non-taxed account.

Indeed, this calls-for-shares trade was in my non-taxed retirement account. I also did a similar thing in my taxed account this morning, also without tax consequences. I exercised a bunch of Jun 19' 2020 300 calls. Left a little bit of time value on the table by exercising vs. selling the calls and buying the shares, but peanuts compared to the tax bill I would have gotten next year (I paid $56 avg for the calls).

Reactions: Eugene Ash and UCF3
I am glad you asked. No problem. Biological age is measured by the so called Horvath clock. see analysis of a paper show rats age being reduced by 54%. David Sinclair, PhD on Twitter is 54% not enogh? do not worry. It is high tech. It will get better very fast.

I’ve been following Aubrey De Grey for awhile now. He’s an interesting fellow.
E635821F-1EA3-4328-9DA4-E20C30C39C17.jpeg

After-action Report: Tue, May 26, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $822.28
Volume: 8,011,262 *
Traded: $6,587,535,140.15 ($6.59 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.56%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 42.7% (45th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 49.6% (50th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.19% of Short Volume (51st Percentile rank).

Comment: "Groundhog Season Opens early; lingers all Day"

*Note: a reporting anomoly occurred After-hrs @ 16:32 ; final Volume may differ by 95k shares

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-05-26.png

Last edited:
If there's no freedom of speech, then how do you know if a young girl can pretty much walk anywhere alone at any time?...

Color me sceptical...

50/100 on the Freedom House index does not sound particularly great. Seems like a truly super corrupt place.

Source: Singapore | Freedom House

Besides knowing the city, society, and what's safe and what isn't, there are various safety statistics, such as homicide rate. Singapore has the world's lowest homicide rate, excluding a handful of countries with tiny populations ranging from ~1k to ~100k, like Vatican City and Monaco. Japan is #2.

Although I haven't spent enough time in Singapore to know the full extent of it, I don't believe the freedom of speech issues in Singapore are that bad. It seems like the idea behind it is to prevent public unrest. Here's what Wikipedia says:

The government has restricted freedom of speech and freedom of the press and has limited other civil and political rights.[18] The right to freedom of speech and association guaranteed by Article 14(1) of the Constitution of Singapore is restricted by the subsequent subsection (2) of the same Article.

The only place in Singapore where outdoor public assemblies do not require police permits (for citizens) is at the Speakers' Corner which is loosely modelled on Hyde Park, London. However, foreigners still require a permit to speak at the park, and one must still register one's personal details with the National Parks Board online before speaking or protesting at the Speakers' corner, and there are also many surveillance cameras in the park, a situation that some Singaporeans and Singaporean MPs have commented on.[19][20]

Police permits are also not granted to events that are deemed to have a "significant risk of public disorder" and those that could "incite feelings of hostility between different racial and religious groups" in Singapore.[21]

According to Amnesty International, laws were tightened in 2010 to limit the freedom of expression and assembly, and to stifle critics and activists. Lawsuits were taken out by the authorities against dissidents. Government critics and human rights defenders nevertheless held public gatherings.[22]

Censorship of political and racially or religiously sensitive content is also extensive, and is imposed in the form of stringent media regulations and criminal laws,[23] and indirect approaches through OB markers on local journalists and withdrawal of public arts funding.[24] Press freedom has been curtailed over the years through various national security laws, such as the Internal Security Act, the Sedition Act and the Official Secrets Act.[25] Government pressure to conform has resulted in the practice of self-censorship by journalists.

It seems to me that, just like everything else the SG government does, the intentions are good in wanting to protect public peace. I think an argument can be made for banning racism, and limiting freedom of speech in cases where it is designed to cause public unrest. A lot of the COVID-19 misinformation, such as the 5G and Bill Gates conspiracy theories, are not good for society, and are now also being banned from social media.

However, it's an extremely dangerous thing. As long as the Singaporean government is doing such a great job, it's not that big of a deal that you can't criticize them, but if that ever changes, it obviously becomes very problematic very quick.

Overall, I'm against limiting (most) freedom of speech, because negative feedback is extremely valuable and should be welcomed, however, I can see how it can be a good thing in certain cases, such as racism and harmful conspiracy theories.

Singapore nor its government are perfect, but to my (limited) knowledge they're the best the world has to offer.

Another favorable review of the Y

2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range First Drive Review: Bring the Family - MotorTrend

"Another tech marvel is the huge two-piece aluminum casting that replaces and simplifies the rear of the chassis and spans the rear wheels. Its high-speed manufacturing producibility was enabled by SpaceX metallurgists. Several months ago, Musk described the Model Y as being 75 percent composed of Model 3 parts. Having seen these Model Y-exclusive parts in person, we think Musk might need to recalculate that figure."

I thought so after seeing the Y.

Only because you haven seen the latest Model 3 :)

• Funny
Reactions: Prunesquallor
OK, y’all. Let’s talk about how Tesla needs to advertise.

View attachment 545073
I think Daimler spends about $2000 on advertisements per car. For Tesla Elon tweets. Now in the good old days ICE tech was much cheaper than Tesla's BEV. Daimler had a bigger scale and manufacturing expertise. Now BEV cost is approaching IVE. Tesla's scale and manufacturing expertise is approaching parity to Daimler before it is getting better. So the $2k ad cost difference that used to ameliorate the cost disadvantage is turning slowly into extra profit.

I don't know if SpaceX helps TSLA but I know it helps sell Tesla vehicles because I'm one of them. Landing Falcons is what pushed me over the edge to order my S. I've lived on the SpaceCoast for 37 years and am awe struck when they land, nothing else like it. I've tried filming a landing on my Model S dashcam but haven't succeeded yet. I work at the Cape. ;)