Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good for you! I decided to sell so as to have some cash in the account as I was expecting a further C19 dip. Which never happened (and I still don't understand why...)

Same for me. I sold half of my position during the dip, expecting further downwards movement. So now I want to increase my exposure again, but I am torn between adding some Leaps now, or waiting a couple of months (maybe until october).

Reactions: ClimateOptimst
Held by one long, lending his share out to another person that sells it short to a second long, who in turn lends his share out to a second short that sells it to a third long (3 longs, 2 shorts).

Shares sold short like this show up in the short interest figures. So we know how many there are (at least, a couple of weeks after the fact).

The only mystery shares are those temporary shares (uncovered shorts).

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
N628TS. Flightaware says it won't tell you where it is because of EU privacy regulations.
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 11.05.06 AM.png

Was interesting to hear Trevors take on the Tesla lawsuit. He spouts off a lie, that he had to sue Tesla, to keep his patent in force. No, you don't need to defend a patent like that. The only right he loses by not suing Tesla, is the right to sue Tesla. (after 3 years or so of known infringement , statute of limitations laws come into effect for that particular entity) If Ford takes his patent he can still sue them.

That's incorrect, actually. If you allow one person to take your patent without compensation (such as a license agreement), you do lose the right to try and enforce it against someone else later.

Not validating this suit in any way--I personally think it'll fail--but having to sue to keep your patent is legit.

Last edited:
Not when a call 1880 for June 18, 2021 costs $5,000.

I'm afraid the good ole times - 2019 - when you could make a killing with cheap calls 500, 600, 700 and 800 will not come back any time soon.

Aren't options less expensive now given the lower IV? i'm not sure what the calculation would look like. However i would expect the premium for an option that is 12 months away, and a strike that is 50% OTM to be less expensive now then a similar option purchases 2 months ago. I guess you would also need to look at the premium as a % of the strike price as the stock goes up and as you maintain a similar OTM spread between share price and strike price.

Same for me. I sold half of my position during the dip, expecting further downwards movement. So now I want to increase my exposure again, but I am torn between adding some Leaps now, or waiting a couple of months (maybe until october).

Hate to tell you all 'told you so'

A ton of good reason why there was no further dip that I expressed early on in postings, tweets, articles and videos.

No offense but frankly it's been no miracle.

I wouldn't say that..many people held massive amount of money with Tesla the past 5 years and made almost no return. Bulls have very little evidence that they are brilliant investors for choosing Tesla right now. Maybe call him a moron when the SP doubled what it is today.
just look at these deplorables. YEEESH

Not when a call 1880 for June 18, 2021 costs $5,000.

I'm afraid the good ole times - 2019 - when you could make a killing with cheap calls 500, 600, 700 and 800 will not come back any time soon.

too bad I spent most of my time back in 2019 in the "Master Thread: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3" instead of in this thread :(... it cost me a lot of money

Hate to tell you all 'told you so'

A ton of good reason why there was no further dip that I expressed early on in postings, tweets, articles and videos.

No offense but frankly it's been no miracle.

For the moment you’ve been right. But if I see the economic drama unfolding (see e.g. the last graph in Het sputterende herstel van de economie: volg het in deze grafieken where e.g. 38% of the companies involved in person transport (taxi and bus companies) expect to go bankrupt in Belgium), it’s very difficult for me to rule out a long downward period. Tesla is a special case due to it’s growth trajectory, but it may still be affected by the negative effects of the 90% economy.

Jan'22 came out mid-September of 2019, so I assume Jan'23 will come out mid-September of this year.

Jun'22 should also capture all those events though.

Agree that the Jun'22s are quite highly priced atm.

Don't expect any strikes above $2k to just pop up out of nowhere though, I believe strikes only go up to about 2x the actual SP. So we should see these as soon as TSLA goes over $1,000. This also means that they will be quite expensive of course, because SP will be higher, unless it goes over $1,000 first, and then drops back down.

The reason I believe this by the way, is because when I bought my first Jun'22s, SP was right around $500, and the highest strike price available was $990 (so I bought those). Not until TSLA shot up over $500 were higher strikes released.

Also, when I bought my first Jan'22 $400s, $450 was the highest strike available and SP was in the low $200s. I wanted to buy some $600s as well at the time, but did not see these available until some time after Q3'19 ER, when the SP had shot up to $300.

there’s 3 cycles for the listing of equity leaps
sept
oct
nov

LEAPS® & Cycles

cboe or occ will announce which stocks will be in which cycle at some point, if they haven’t already. i didn’t find it yet during quick search

Everyone could own virtual shares and not know it. When you buy shares of TSLA, it shows in your account that you "own" those shares. It does not identify whether those shares were from a long-sale, or "shares" from a short-sale. When shorts sell these unborrowed shares, somebody (perhaps you) buys them. Even with legitimate short selling, there are millions more "shares in the system" than are outstanding. To reiterate, the DTCC has lost control of the ability to enumerate the number of shares of given a stock in the system.

it’s true that we don’t know the margin shares

but fully paid for shares are known, as it’s a regulatory requirement segregate those shares daily in the US

Reactions: Dig deeper
there’s 3 cycles for the listing of equity leaps
sept
oct
nov

LEAPS® & Cycles

cboe or occ will announce which stocks will be in which cycle at some point, if they haven’t already. i didn’t find it yet during quick search
Your link actually contains the answer to my question!

When are the exchanges going to list 2023 LEAPS®?

All of the 2023 LEAPS® will be introduced on Monday, September 14th, 2020.

That's incorrect, actually. If you allow one person to take your patent without compensation (such as a license agreement), you do lose the right to try and enforce it against someone else later.

Not validating this suit in any way--I personally think it'll fail--but having to sue to keep your patent is legit.
No. Not correct. Trademarks are like that. Even copyright is not. You can ignore infringement but then go after a different person infringing later. But you do lose the ability to go after a SPECIFIC entity after a few years of infringement.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Damn you pulled a post from 2019 when the stock price was in the toilet with no signs of it being over 800 anytime soon. I didn't even make a projection and made a true statement about zero returns for those who held up to that time. Playing the hindsight game much?.
Are you this dumb? The post alluded to a future valuation
Please don't be that guy

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer