Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you this dumb? The post alluded to a future valuation
Please don't be that guy
This was me in 2019. I was the biggest cheerleader for people to stop looking for rope when time was tough and buy in.

The post you quoted was about why people sold and you called them dumb. People sold because they were fed up with the stock performance over the past 5 years up to that date. You have a problem with that explaination?

Where's all the dry powder talk? This is when we buy. Who cares it's a falling knife. When I was down 32% @ 9.5 with AMD, people said it was going down to 2 dollars. Morgan Stanley said 6 dollars. Everyone said it's a *sugar* stock. My peers said I should just take my loses. I doubled down and doubled my position.

One bad quarter and everyone is extrapolating Tesla as a doomed company? You know just a year ago people were trying to figure out if Tesla is even capable of making cars for mass production. Elon yelling at investors, admitting not knowing what he is doing, working 120hrs/week and the company sounds like a cluster F.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I am aware - through this thread - of the existence of those millions of 'virtual' shares. But can those also be held by institutions, private investors and index funds? Do they enlarge the pool of shares for hodl'ers?
My understanding is that you don't hold virtual shares, it's somewhat akin to musical chairs. When the purchaser of a virtual share wants the actual share, the seller has to pony up with a share regardless of what it might cost.

My understanding is that you don't hold virtual shares, it's somewhat akin to musical chairs. When the purchaser of a virtual share wants the actual share, the seller has to pony up with a share regardless of what it might cost.

Or they can fail and just hand over the cash they are holding as collateral, but that is highly uncommon. (Which could be way less than the current stock price.)

adding some fuel to the UK "smoke" - redFay has an article about possible factory/facility in UK

consider the source
To be fair, Fred calls it a rumor and links to the source (Property Week). Here is his take:

Electrek’s Take
I am a tad skeptical of the report. We do know that Tesla has aggressive expansion plans, but a second factory in the region so quickly would be surprising.

However, Tesla has had success in the UK with Model 3. Maybe they are looking for a local factory to produce vehicles for the local market and other right-hand-drive markets.

I would also consider the possibility of the location simply being a research center, which Tesla has talked about before, and not a manufacturing facility.

Tesla might want to tap into local engineering talent without going into the complexities of manufacturing vehicles in England.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
Alternate explanation for Elon's trip to London:

"Tesla is hiring for a Program Manager in the insurance and underwriting field in the UK. The job location is in London and is a full-time position. That seems to indicate something that will make Tesla owners and future owners quite happy."​

Tesla Is Hiring For Insurance Program In The UK | CleanTechnica

Cheers!

Missed this yesterday, but a job posting for EU insurance based in Germany was also posted alongside that UK position: Program Manager, Insurance Product & Underwriting (Europe) | Tesla
Gotta like that!

"The Program Manager, Product & Underwriting (Europe), will work alongside our pricing, data science and engineering teams to rethink how a motor insurance product is best designed with the customer in mind first."​

This is a forward thinking, ever improving organization. I'd hate to be a competitior of their's, in any industry.

Wonder when Elon will start that candy company? The Bonbon Buffett? ;)

Cheers!

No. Not correct. Trademarks are like that. Even copyright is not. You can ignore infringement but then go after a different person infringing later. But you do lose the ability to go after a SPECIFIC entity after a few years of infringement.

Ah, you're right. Upon further diving into it, I read that you lose your trademark if you don't enforce it, not generic copy rights. I was confused because my original source had used "Intellectual property" and that covered both of those things.

Barron's - 10 minutes ago: Car Stocks Are Higher Because Sales Were Only Kind of Dreadful. Here’s How Far They Can Run.

Excerpts:

U.S. light-vehicle sales came in better than feared for May -- news that lifted car stocks on Wednesday and raised the prospect of more gains as investors focus on the rate of change...

...Traditional auto makers including Ford Motor (ticker: F) and General Motors (GM) were up almost 5% on Wednesday, on average...

...The sector remains down about 20% year to date, worse than the comparable drops of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 over the same span. The Russell 3000 Auto & Auto Parts Index is actually up 9% year to date, but that is because of Tesla (TSLA)...

Or they can fail and just hand over the cash they are holding as collateral, but that is highly uncommon. (Which could be way less than the current stock price.)
Not quite. The broker can't just decide to sell the share for the original holder and give him back the cash. This would be a taxable event for the owner. It's the broker who is on the hook to replace the actual share. As you say, though, it's quite rare, basically the short seller has to go broke for this to happen.

Reactions: saniflash
Damn you pulled a post from 2019 when the stock price was in the toilet with no signs of it being over 800 anytime soon. I didn't even make a projection and made a true statement about zero returns for those who held up to that time. Playing the hindsight game much?.

Had no signs of being over $800 anytime soon? Please, let's not rewrite history here.

You may not have been able to see what was happening but some of us loaded up on 2020 calls starting in June precisely because we DID see what was likely coming. I, and a number of other bulls here made a killing on $500's and $800's that appreciated 30X-100X and more. It was like taking candy from a kid. :p

Note: I am not a habitual options player, I only jump in when I see an obvious opportunity.

Last edited:
Had no signs of being over $800 anytime soon? Please, let's not rewrite history here.

You may not have been able to see what was happening but some of us loaded up on 2020 calls starting in June precisely because we DID see what was likely coming. I, and a number of other bulls here made a killing on $500's and $800's that appreciated 30X-100X and more. It was like taking candy from a kid. :p

Note: I am not a habitual options player, I only jump in when I see an obvious opportunity.
Wait so you are saying when I wrote that post a year ago, you were sure that Tsla would be 800 a year later when historically in the past years there were not only signs of cycling of sp, but Tesla just broke down 180 3 months prior? Did you mortgage out your house last year and bet everything because I want the crystal ball you had.

I remember even the bulls who were on the forum for years, and even our mods panic sold when Tesla tanked after reaching 900 just a few months ago. So let's not rewrite history as if people here were full of conviction.

People bought calls because the premiums were dirt cheap because Tesla was such a bear.

Last edited: