Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think here is where I believe Tesla missed a trick by closing down the rail line/spur they had in Freemont factory. They could have loaded right into the train, unloaded/loaded right into RoRo in Boston and off to Europe. Would have cut down 10 days in shipping time and bet some costs too. Of course, fix the damn freight rail network in this country to make a cross country from SF to Boston/NY in less than 4 days.

Yes, the US rail system is similar to a bunch of squabbling 10 year old boys. Their quarrel with Tesla about the rail spur is systematic. The lack of a cohesive cross country system is just plain pathetic.

Decide a core amount, get there and relax. Everytime I sell shares, I wonder when to get back in. Then I miss the next bump.

I cannot agree strongly enough. I lost about $38k day trading TSLA on margin thinking I was clever. Luckily I've made it all back and then some simply by buying and holding. haven't touched my actual shares since pre-420 private tweet, and couldn't be happier. Buy and hold is the only sensible play.
It took me $38k to learn the wisdom in this tweet, and yet I provide it for free!

When I think about it, maybe less irony and more virtuous cycle - except it’s not so virtuous if you’re FCA.

01 Massive EU penalties on diesel and petrol cars

02 FCA has few if any EV offerings

03 Any EVs they DO develop will face competition from Tesla

04 Because too few FCA EVs sold, partner with Tesla to cut down on ruinous penalties

05 Tesla uses FCA payments to accelerate construction of Giga Berlin and cheaper, European-made EVs.

06 Because of 05, FCA faces greater competition from Tesla

07 GO TO 04
I've considered this quandary many times over the years, for most of the other carmakers too. The general problem is, when starting a race from the back, to catch whoever is in first place, you have to innovate past them. This is fine if the entity in 1st place is not innovating at all, just resting on their laurels. But if they're innovating, you have to innovate faster. This is difficult in a new field you've not gotten much expertise in, but it's do-able under the right circumstances. In this case though, the innovating entity in 1st place isn't any old innovating entity, it's TESLA who have shown an incredible rate of innovation for years, even when no-one else was racing against them. Now that it's a real race - increasing restrictions on sale of ICE vehicles all over the world - they find themselves having to innovate faster than an incredibly-quickly-innovating company. Tesla has hired all the best brains in the business. The new entrants into the race have to poach from Tesla, work with the leftovers, or hire the "new best brains" as they come out of university into the labor market - that is a slow process and not one you can rely on to win. It's as if no-one can beat Tesla, simply because Tesla entered the race first. As Elon has said, the pace of innovation is the moat. The other guys have to get across the moat - and the reason moats work is because no-one can get across them.
Eventually it will become plainly obvious that the other guys can't compete. I expect this will occur when Tesla's global market share is above 5%. At that point the financial writing will be on the wall for all manufacturers, and everyone will see that Tesla is a significant threat to all, and all they have to do to CRUSH is to expand production. Actually Tesla's ubiquity and lack of customisability might start to appear like a problem. (Only black or white seats? Five paint colors? Come on)
The last card that the other manufacturers can play is... politics. Legislation. Begging to governments for bail-outs. Even, restricting Tesla in some sort of way. The bottom line is that manufacturers like Ford aren't going to roll over and allow themselves to fold without trying their brand play against the U.S. Government. The USA is so filled with ego and self-gratification that they think some of their brands are eternal. Jobs must be saved - even if the managerial classes have been driving the companies off the cliff for the prior 10 years and no-one did anything to stop them. (CNBC never seem to introduce Bob Lutz by saying that he quit 6 months before GM went bankrupt) Ford seems too valuable that no-one will step up to buy the brand. Too many American vehicle buyers out there that just love the blue oval. They will cry out to the U.S. government to employ as many tricks as possible to keep them going. GM as well. FCA will go to wherever the money is, which when you choose between Italy and the USA... it's the USA.
Fighting against the import of foreign cars is a low-hanging fruit. This is why it has been so important for the Shanghai and Berlin factories to get built, because automakers in those territories can't complain - otherwise local workers would lose their jobs.
Sometimes I wonder if Tesla, with its 175B market cap, and Ford with its 24.75B market cap... well, if Ford was on the brink of bankruptcy and Tesla was even larger, Tesla could buy the assets and keep the brand alive. There would be an acknowledgement that an aggressive push into BEV replacements for all the Ford models would follow. All Ford vehicles would use Superchargers from then on. Probably a crazy idea. Dealerships, existing factories, unions, and so on. Seems to contradict Elon's way of working.
Ultimately it will be up to the U.S. Government to decide what to do with all the ailing vehicle companies that aren't switching to BEV fast enough. (Sorry, by the time I had typed all this in I realised it should not be in this thread :D )

Last edited:
Opinion Piece and Encouragement:

I did some multi year post trade analysis this weekend.

I have traded for many years, I think started looking into the markets in 2004 or earlier. I devoured many books and availed myself of any resource that had a shred of knowledge to it. I've traded options, futures, day traded, swing traded. I've played what was hot. Dogs of the dow, IBD growth, beaten down value, all of it was at my arsenal.

I owned Netlix as one of my first great trades. In fact, I think it was my first stock trade outside of an index fund. I bought around 30, sold around 36. I was a hero! I looked back over my kind of public blog this weekend and saw that I continued to trade in and out of NFLX, many times swayed by sentiment or price action. I looked back and saw that I owned some in November 2009, chart shows a price of $8.26, now $421 premarket. I think I had $30,000 worth of the stuff then, would now be worth >1.5M IN A ROTH IRA!!!

I owned Apple, one trade in particular was buying when it was $98, close to going above 100 for the first time. It went above 100 for a while, then things looked scary, I sold at $112, never seriously getting long or large in the stock again. More great gains left on the table.

I also owned Tesla for many years. I bought prior to all the big runs it made early on, I think somewhere around $45, sold around $165. I told myself they would need to bring the model 3 to market before more great moves, got back in much later and missed some of the move.

I am absolutely convinced that the best way to make (EARN) money in the market is to seek out great growth companies with exciting new products and services, ones that everyone will use. Great leadership. Life changing. Great business models. Buy and hold of these great growth companies and SITTING ON YOUR HANDS is the way to make life changing money. Don't trade in and out, don't fart around with options, don't get market jitters. Research enough to own your knowledge and assessment so that you can ignore the masses. There is no hand holding, group think will drown you.

Buy and hold great companies for life while living yours is the way to go. My life would be materially different if I had done this more. I think yours can be also.

Tesla deploys new Megapacks at 'WindCharger' project - Electrek

Simple machines — such as the lever, the wheel & axle, the block & tackle, and the screw — multiply mechanical advantage. In the same sense, energy storage multiplies the advantage of renewable energy — such as wind and solar — expanding their window of use and the types of loads that they can serve. This advantage can be used at the residential, commercial, industrial, and utility levels of generation and load management.

Most stock analysts have not grasped the breadth of this disruption, in my opinion. Tesla is not a car company, nor a tech company. Tesla is an “Energy Dominion” company.

JB Leonard

When I get old(er), imma start a t-shirt company with the slogan

"What would JB Leonard say?"

Intraday High @ 10:00 was $935.73 :D

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-06-15.10-00.png

Cheers to the Longs!

P.S. Looks like there is some support at -10% off the ATH Close last week:

$1025.05 *0.9 = $922.55​

Last edited:
Opinion Piece and Encouragement:

I did some multi year post trade analysis this weekend.

I have traded for many years, I think started looking into the markets in 2004 or earlier. I devoured many books and availed myself of any resource that had a shred of knowledge to it. I've traded options, futures, day traded, swing traded. I've played what was hot. Dogs of the dow, IBD growth, beaten down value, all of it was at my arsenal.

I owned Netlix as one of my first great trades. In fact, I think it was my first stock trade outside of an index fund. I bought around 30, sold around 36. I was a hero! I looked back over my kind of public blog this weekend and saw that I continued to trade in and out of NFLX, many times swayed by sentiment or price action. I looked back and saw that I owned some in November 2009, chart shows a price of $8.26, now $421 premarket. I think I had $30,000 worth of the stuff then, would now be worth >1.5M IN A ROTH IRA!!!

I owned Apple, one trade in particular was buying when it was $98, close to going above 100 for the first time. It went above 100 for a while, then things looked scary, I sold at $112, never seriously getting long or large in the stock again. More great gains left on the table.

I also owned Tesla for many years. I bought prior to all the big runs it made early on, I think somewhere around $45, sold around $165. I told myself they would need to bring the model 3 to market before more great moves, got back in much later and missed some of the move.

I am absolutely convinced that the best way to make (EARN) money in the market is to seek out great growth companies with exciting new products and services, ones that everyone will use. Great leadership. Life changing. Great business models. Buy and hold of these great growth companies and SITTING ON YOUR HANDS is the way to make life changing money. Don't trade in and out, don't fart around with options, don't get market jitters. Research enough to own your knowledge and assessment so that you can ignore the masses. There is no hand holding, group think will drown you.

Buy and hold great companies for life while living yours is the way to go. My life would be materially different if I had done this more. I think yours can be also.
Does "don't fart around with options" apply to LEAPs too?

Post 170653 is helpful.
Post 170654 is not, but I still love you.

Sometimes pointing out to a person that they really aren’t open to/interested in/looking to be reasonable gives them an opportunity to go back and reflect on their state of mind.

From where I’m sitting you seem determined to be angsty about something which you have no control over. You seem determined to over think it. Determined to focus on the problem rather than find a solution for yourself.

Here’s the truth of the whole ball of wax: Nobody knows what’s going to happen today, tomorrow, next week, a year from now etc...

Trying to dissect every little itty bitty piece and determine how you escape without a scratch will put you exactly where you are: terrifyingly seconding guessing and immobile. And probably going to do something that hurts you worse than if you’d just let it go in the first place.

It doesn’t seem to matter how many times we discuss buy, hold and forgetaboutit as the best strategy for most, people still seem to think they can do better and protect themselves against that which they have no control over.

No matter how many times unhealthy views and relationships with money are pointed out, people are still determined to worship it and put it on a pedestal it does not deserve.

It’s your fault I was unhelpful for the simple reason you told me what you didn’t want rather than telling me what you do want. That’s not semantics. That’s the difference between someone who thinks, ‘Crap, it’s raining. My new shoes are going to get wet and be ruined!’ *pout* versus ‘It’s raining today. I’ll wear my old shoes and take my new shoes with me in a bag so they don’t get ruined.’ *happy dance*

Nikola Plans to Enter the Market at an Uncompetitive Price Point, and more...

Nikola Plans to Enter the Market at an Uncompetitive Price Point
By Sam Korus

"ARK will be surprised if Nikola ever delivers a single fuel cell truck."
Didnt Nikola win a suit last year against Tesla for stealing the shape of their cab? Maybe that's why the $30M valuation - a dollar for every Tesla Semi sold perhaps?
Meanwhile, I wonder how Japan is doing with their little H experimental town?
Havent any of these folks stared at that Led Zepplin album cover? I know I got the msg and I was wasted.... BOOM goes the hydrogen!

What’s happening to Yahoo TSLA SP?
Robinhood says we are at 928, yahoo says 922...

Edit:
I got it, Yahoo now showing SP with about 3 min delay, is it alway like that?
You're right, it's consistently about 3 minutes behind, and this isn't normal. ETrade is up to the instant (which just went green at 10:05) but has to be manually refreshed.

edit: at 10:10 EDT Yahoo suddenly caught up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Didnt Nikola win a suit last year against Tesla for stealing the shape of their cab? Maybe that's why the $30M valuation - a dollar for every Tesla Semi sold perhaps?
Havent any of these folks stared at that Led Zepplin album cover? I know I got the msg and I was wasted.... BOOM goes the hydrogen!

No, they didn't win. It's still in progress. The most recent movement was that Tesla submitted a motion to dismiss, which was denied. Not necessarily a win for Nikola, but not an easy win for Tesla.

Rearview ..VW , Jaguar, Porsche taycan. Waymo etc etc.
Right now market has handed the Tesla Killer baton to NKLA. Will be over soon.
Folks say going Short messes up your brains, but I am thinking of doing just that (buying puts) :)

• Funny
Reactions: Khamul and SOULPEDL