Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was checking this out... Nice!
But...
What caught my attention (as I pretend ordered a Model Y for the 5th time) was the FSD missing verbiage from the past. Basically it claims everything my M3 does today. No reverse summons, no turns in city...
Here is the exact wording

Full Self-Driving Capability
Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.
Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: assisted stops at traffic controlled intersections.
Coming later this year:
Autosteer on city streets.

It does all of this today.

Meanwhile, I was on some curvy roads in Sedona, and it continues to have issues with these, even with all road makings present center and shoulder. This is indicating system limitations and I no longer have full confidence that it will do left truns at intersections wo some hardware changes. Not to say that cant happen, and Im not suggesting Lidar at all. Perhaps higher resolution side cameras, IDK.

Hence, there are now zero promises of tech coming soon other than auto steer on city streets... which it does already technically.
Anyone who knows me gets that I dont say this lightly.

Sorry for the off topics here, but is Tesla getting honest with FSD? Didnt they promise even more in the past?

It's not even a day later and I'm regretting that I lost faith in FSD. Take backs?

I think my curvey Sedona roads were taken too fast for it. The speed wasn't limited and very winding. I recall in the past how exit ramps were difficult at first and the biggest change they made IMO was speed control. So my conclusion is that traffic light turns are possible on this rig, but will likely be quite slow before it gets efficient as you'd expect.

And the FSD rewording (on their order website) to something that exists today - ya that's for Q2 revenue IMO, especially given the recent offers for free AP with FSD. I'm confident they're going to make sure it's a positive quarter, especially seeing ships!

It's not even a day later and I'm regretting that I lost faith in FSD. Take backs?

I think my curvey Sedona roads were taken too fast for it. The speed wasn't limited and very winding. I recall in the past how exit ramps were difficult at first and the biggest change they made IMO was speed control. So my conclusion is that traffic light turns are possible on this rig, but will likely be quite slow before it gets efficient as you'd expect.

And the FSD rewording (on their order website) to something that exists today - ya that's for Q2 revenue IMO, especially given the recent offers for free AP with FSD. I'm confident they're going to make sure it's a positive quarter, especially seeing ships!
I got a place across from Indian Gardens in Sedona and my AP1 P85D takes the curves until the new roundabout. Pretty good for older tech.

What it screams to me is "I'm so badass I don't need to pretend I'm anything but exactly what I am".

Reminds me of a shark on the prowl:
tesla-1-jpg.554207

What this truck screams to me is:

4543243b48966fe8cc87f5be22d5e8da.jpg

Hi, my name is ridiculous and I have a small penis but my truck more than makes up for it. If you look at my roofline and front grill you can see I have pretensions of heavy-duty long-haul trucking in my DNA. That's right bubba, you know I'm big and powerful and if you don't believe me I'll let you look at my fuel and maintenance bills. Both bigger than your bar tab. So chew on that!
OT but I do remember just a few years ago when Dodge trucks looked nice. With splitting RAM off of Dodge and the hideous grill with the word RAM on it, I am not sure how the owners can stand it. 3 areas of text visible on the side? Busy and cheap looking.

Reactions: StealthP3D
They lowered AP from $3k to $2k. FSD still requires AP. Hopefully they don’t back out of the buy one get one free deal. Hopefully in the middle of coding.

This should be a nice income boost.

....waiting on that AWD to P update tho. lol

View attachment 554635

$2000 just added to their bottom line from me! Happy Father’s Day indeed!!

OT but I do remember just a few years ago when Dodge trucks looked nice. With splitting RAM off of Dodge and the hideous grill with the word RAM on it, I am not sure how the owners can stand it. 3 areas of text visible on the side? Busy and cheap looking.

The funny thing is, that picture of the Dodge I posted was a 2020 model year but to my eye it already looks dawdy and dated.

Funny how the Cybertruck will do that to a brand new truck!

Okay. Thanks. I see where there are swirl marks in those pics, but still don’t see any dents.

I’d be surprised if the swirls are in the stainless. Would have to be something pretty abrasive. More likely someone attempted to wax it, and the swirl marks are in the wax.

The swirls are probably in the SS because that's how they wanted it to look. Any polishing compound would likely be hard/abrasive enough to leave swirls (or it wouldn't be capable of polishing it). The beauty of having such a material exposed is it can look however you want it to look depending upon how fine you go with the grit. Polish it to a mirror finish if you like but then it's going to highlight the slight waviness of the material. I'll probably experiment a bit but end up with a satin finish, kind of shiny but not mirror like.

The possibilities are endless. You could use a medium grit and a longboard worked in a linear fashion, using a different angle of stroke for the different panels to highlight the geometric shapes of each panel/crease.

Or you could give it a "shaggy" appearance like hair on an animal:
images

With a rough texture you could mask off portions and polish just those portions to a mirror finish to create a water scene, a racing stripe or a subtle company logo. The only limit is your imagination.

They haven’t lowered the FSD price for those who bought EAP :( Still $4000CAD for me. EAP was $6600, so that’s $10.6K. FSD on a new car is only $9200CAD. I’ll keep waiting....
Same here. We paid $7000 for EAP - very early model. Still shows $4000 for me. If it was lower, could convince hubby to go for it. Not worth it for now.

Awesome. That thing screams '**** you'. :)
Reminds me of a shark on the prowl

Shark is apt, since sharks have tough hides and many are now believed to be long-lived.
Many Sharks Live a Century—Longer Than Thought

The ferocious appearance of Cybertruck is why I plan to paint the front of mine with a friendly message (Hi there!) to avoid frightening grandmothers, dogs and small children who don't hear it coming. Don't want any heart attacks, doggie "accidents" or dropped ice cream cones on my conscience. Other possibilities for concerned owners are painted flowers, ponies, and Hello Kitty decals.

I do expect a healthy industry to spring up to decorate Cybertruck's steel canvas, although I fear the most popular designs will be shark grins, flames and human skulls, rather than the grandmother-sparing variety.

But what about Dodge Ram owners who feel out-dicked or take offense at the implied message noted by @ggies07? Keying my truck won't be very satisfying. Shooting it will only make it more badass. What's left for the red-blooded vandal? Graffiti? If someone paints f*ck tesla on my door panel, I will happily add to the sentiment with the word -haters. You can see I've given this some thought.

The swirls are probably in the SS because that's how they wanted it to look. Any polishing compound would likely be hard/abrasive enough to leave swirls (or it wouldn't be capable of polishing it).
Possible, but what I see are long swirls in an arc, as if done by hand, no doubt by someone who does not know how to properly wash a panel in order to minimize swirls. It clearly was not done with a polisher, unless it was someone who wanted to make the hood look like crap, IMHO.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
> Will include tour of cell production system

Elon also said it will be in Fremont. I didn't know they had any cell production in Fremont
They bought some cell rolling machine from China around the the same time of GF3 land purchase. I guess those ended up in Fremont instead of GF1.
Other parts of the line should have been home made with Maxwell tech.

Seems Tesla is indeed using Fremont as the lab to experiment new production methods and lines before rolling out to GFs.