Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After-action Report: Tue, Jun 30, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA exits 2020Q2 in style with a new ATH"

Traded: $17,481,983,613.87 ($17.48 B)
Volume: 16,541,223
VWAP: $1,056.87

Closing SP / VWAP: 102.19%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = 200.278B / 172.611B = 116.03%​

'Short' Report:

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 55.8% (52nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 54.1% (54th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.17% of Short Volume (51st Percentile rank)​

View attachment 558814

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!
Hmm. Looks like somewhat of a magnifier on the macros.

A colleague of mine just took delivery of a Y at the Montreal service center today.

He noted that the deliveries were literally non-stop, and estimates that up to 100 vehicles may have changed hands since yesterday.

AFAIK this was the first shipment of Ys to eager owners in Quebec, the EOQ timing was impeccable !
Magnifique!

Reactions: Artful Dodger
A colleague of mine just took delivery of a Y at the Montreal service center today.

He noted that the deliveries were literally non-stop, and estimates that up to 100 vehicles may have changed hands since yesterday.

AFAIK this was the first shipment of Ys to eager owners in Quebec, the EOQ timing was impeccable !

Très bien, merci les Canadiens!

Stock futures fall slightly after the market notches its best quarter in decades

The market just notched its best quarter in decades as it snapped back from the historic sell-off triggered by the coronavirus. The Dow gained 17.8% in the second quarter, posting its best quarter since 1987, while the S&P 500 finished the period with a near 20% gain, its best since 1998. The tech-heavy Nasdaq soared 30.6% for the quarter, the most since 1999

& TSLA to top it off ;)

Screenshot_20200630-185514.png

And we're damned pleased we did it to ourselves. :D

To elaborate: I'm one of those people who think most CEO's are wildly over-compensated, especially when compared to the workers. But not Elon Musk. He is probably the most visionary CEO in the world today. Steve Jobs was visionary but Elon Musk blows him away. Tesla workers would be unemployed by now if not for Elon Musk (or working in a different industry). Because I can't think of a single other leader that could have steered the ship called "Tesla" to profitability as Elon has done. It was like threading a needle - lot's of opportunities to mess it up and only a narrow path to build the business and make it all work. He had his hand in almost everything from product specs and design (and selecting the lead designer and lead engineers) to financing, publicity, manufacturing, legal, everything.

Basically, Elon Musk is one of the few CEO's who is actually worth his compensation. Because the business wouldn't even exist without him. How many other CEO's can make that claim? And Milton doesn't count for obvious reasons...;)

Yes, and relative to 2/20 compensation for hedge fund managers, paying Musk a relatively paltry 0/10 to 10x our money is a fantastic deal.

Troy’s deliveries estimate:
EbyVrWDWsAAmBNU

Weird that @Troy is projecting an inventory build up on top of the inventory that accumulated in Q1 as deliveries were not possible. I am more in Rob Maurer's camp, with deliveries outpacing production by ~5K

That production is pretty close to what I got when I looked at it yesterday, which with a reasonable inventory reduction could push deliveries to over 100k.

As mentioned, I'll present my data in a blog post some time later today.

And you my friend should strongly consider listening to Wiz Khalifa
Highly motivational for anybody aiming to improve their trading

Thanks. I'll stick with motivational role models like Elon.

Khalifa is open about his use of cannabis, and he has claimed in many interviews that he spends $10,000 a month on cannabis, and also smokes daily.[72] As of early 2014, Khalifa no longer pays for cannabis and is sponsored by The Cookie Company, a medical marijuana dispenser which sells his "Khalifa Kush" (KK) strain, which he partnered with RiverRock Cannabis to create.[73][74] Also, in 2016 Khalifa was featured in a cooking show with Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg where weed was the main ingredient.
Wiz Khalifa - Wikipedia
1591576928-Musk-smokes.jpg

Last edited:
That production is pretty close to what I got when I looked at it yesterday, which with a reasonable inventory reduction could push deliveries to over 100k.

As mentioned, I'll present my data in a blog post some time later today.
Hey Frank....i used to live in SG until 1986 at Siglap Hill, went to St. Stephens and then Raffles Insitution for 1 year till we emigrated here to the states. How are things going over there these days?

Reactions: FrankSG
Why can't these people realize that the Elon's pay deal is brilliant as it costs Tesla very little (in fact pays them money as he still has to buy shares, albeit at a lower amount than market) and it's the purchasers of his stock when he decides to sell it that will pay his "salary." Talk about pay for performance, it's absolutely brilliant! Tesla is only out the opportunity cost of not selling shares at market rate!

The dry version is that after tsla becomes apple of cars Tesla pays elon 10%.

But oh no, that's totally reasonable and not enraging anybody. Must destroy meritocracy.

The dry version is that after tsla becomes apple of cars Tesla pays elon 10%.

But oh no, that's totally reasonable and not enraging anybody. Must destroy meritocracy.
Where you getting that? All I see are stock options, which costs Tesla nothing but the difference between the price Elon pays for the stocks and the price they could have been sold for on the open market. Where's the 10%?

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Hey Frank....i used to live in SG until 1986 at Siglap Hill, went to St. Stephens and then Raffles Insitution for 1 year till we emigrated here to the states. How are things going over there these days?

I'm currently staying in Kuala Lumpur actually, but I lived in SG for a year before, not too far from Siglap Hill in Paya Lebar.

Singapore is where I want to settle down and live long term. I recently interviewed with INSEAD to get into their MBA program, and should hear the final outcome by the end of the month at the latest.

That INSEAD MBA would start in January 2021 in Singapore, and their campus is located in the one-north district.

I have limited knowledge about what SG was like in the 80's (although I'd love to go back in time and see it!), but I think it's great these days. Safe, beautiful, clean, modern, good economy and governance, friendly people & culture. Just simply an amazing place to live! And it has no capital gains tax, which is a very nice bonus that I reckon will come in handy in the future.

55b total vested when sp reaches 650b, it's the link in the article.
Read up on stock options. They're not paying him in cash. From Business Insider:
The compensation agreement between Musk and Tesla is structured around 12 "tranches" of stock options, each equivalent to roughly 1% of the total number of outstanding shares at the time of the agreement. Each tranche — basically, a financial treasure chest that will be unlocked should certain conditions be met — vests and becomes available to Musk once a certain number of operational milestones and stock market capitalization goals have been achieved.

In other words, the stock options aren't available to Elon before he vests. Tesla doesn't "pay" him anything except the opportunity to buy shares at the option prices.