Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note to self: never again sell covered TSLA calls for "quick buck". I got myself into a bit of pickle with this week meteoric rise. Completely self-inflicted, trying to do something I never done before... 7/10 $1200c.. Seemed safe last week... Not so much now. What's the chance they expire worthless or do i need to bite a bullet and buy-to-close them? I'm holding out hope but I don't know. Will wait to see what happens on Monday...

Note to self: never again sell covered TSLA calls for "quick buck". I got myself into a bit of pickle with this week meteoric rise. Completely self-inflicted, trying to do something I never done before... 7/10 $1200c.. Seemed safe last week... Not so much now. What's the chance they expire worthless or do i need to bite a bullet and buy-to-close them? I'm holding out hope but I don't know. Will wait to see what happens on Monday...

You could also rollover to a higher strike (e.g BTC 7/10@1200, STO 7/24@1500), instead of just closing out the position; however that does still keep you open to more pain if this squeeze continues

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sudre and Tim S
Tesmanian - yesterday: Tesla (TSLA) Stock Split Worth Discussing At Shareholders Meeting 2020, Says Elon Musk

For years here I had been saying that a stock split would be pointless in this era in which there is no extra cost for trading less than a round lot (100 shares). Now there is the matter of fractional share trading, which might add to that argument. However, I just now contacted TD Ameritrade and was told they do not accept orders to buy fractional shares. So perhaps a stock split should be considered to allow novice not-so-wealthy investors to start accumulating shares of TSLA.

I know of several people who "missed" buying into Tesla last year when it was in the low 200's. Even though I was constantly telling them, "Buy TSLA, it's such a great company!" they never did, and how they're all grumpy at missing it.

Of course, they may whine still and not buy it if the stock splits, they seem to be more complainers than doers. But maybe one would.

How can it be *not* reused to ensure it can never end up in the ocean again?

I bet Trevor Milton's engineering department can figure out a cheap way to hydrocrack those plastic pellets into hydrogen that can power their semi and pickup trucks! ;)

Oooops! I probably shouldn't be giving him any good PR material!

TSLA beating on macros at 4x again today. :D

Shortzes made an ultimately futile move for their -2% dip (which was terminated with extreme prejudice) @ $1,119.00 at 11:35 a.m.

View attachment 559093

Shortzes may try again during the 'lunch-time lull'. Their notional tgt for a walk-down would be about $1,113.06 or -2% of the intraday high.

Cheers!

... and shortzes do not disappoint. Walked SP to $1,109.72 by 13:13 p.m.

TSLA.chart.2020-07-01.13-13.png

By applying their 2% move tgt, 50 shares @ $1,131.91 becomes* 51 shares @ $1,109.72

Cheers!

*Not advice. For illustrative purposes only. Look both ways before crossing The Street.

I would give you advice on that but you didn't listen to my consistent advice on selling covered TSLA calls for a small cash gain (more risk than it's worth). So I'm not sure why you would listen to me now. :rolleyes:

You want a 600 for 1 split?

That would put the current share price at $1.82!
I don't really care what the split is. The point I was trying to make was that buying a fraction of something at least to me feels less satisfying than buying multiples of whole shares. Yes it makes no sense as the money is the same, but I'm guessing for teenagers getting 1 share of Tesla would be nice and then keep adding through the years to that 1 share.

I don't really care what the split is. The point I was trying to make was that buying a fraction of something at least to me feels less satisfying than buying multiples of whole shares. Yes it makes no sense as the money is the same, but I'm guessing for teenagers getting 1 share of Tesla would be nice and then keep adding through the years to that 1 share.

As a person who still works for a living on a moderate income, I agree; buying a full share is much better than a fractional share.

I don't care if it's literally the same thing functionally (which, some brokers don't deal in fractional, so it's debatable), it's a mental hurdle. It's why prices are $9.99 and not $10, it's why people round numbers up or down, and why we tend to say, "keep the change" or put our change into the tip jar. We don't like fractions of something, we'd rather take a whole.

I'd not ever buy a fractional share, but I absolutely would buy more shares if the stock split into a reasonable price point.

As a person who still works for a living on a moderate income, I agree; buying a full share is much better than a fractional share.

I don't care if it's literally the same thing functionally (which, some brokers don't deal in fractional, so it's debatable), it's a mental hurdle. It's why prices are $9.99 and not $10, it's why people round numbers up or down, and why we tend to say, "keep the change" or put our change into the tip jar. We don't like fractions of something, we'd rather take a whole.

I'd not ever buy a fractional share, but I absolutely would buy more shares if the stock split into a reasonable price point.

Fractional Shares are a new thing for the digital economy. I think the Sellers make more money selling them, and buyers lose the right to vote.(though .. not sure how many do actually vote)
Better to have Splits and Full Shares.

+ I have stayed away from GOOG, AMZN because of share price. So splits with bigger pool of participants would be better.

Brokers in Europe don't offer fractional shares. I know several investors with less capital to hand that would love to invest in $TSLA but are put off by the SP.

So yes, would be beneficial IMO.

Actually, what are the arguments against it? The Apple example was very positive for the stock.

I would give you advice on that but you didn't listen to my consistent advice on selling covered TSLA calls for a small cash gain (more risk than it's worth). So I'm not sure why you would listen to me now. :rolleyes:

Covered calls and puts are at least better than straight up selling naked calls and puts, better known as "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller". 99 times out of 100 it might be easy money, but the 1 time out of 100 the share price explodes upwards or downwards will instantly wipe you out.