Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s mine:

This reporter associated with CNBC has spent the weekend on twitter making patently false accusations against Elon Musk. Based on a single photo taken at an Oscar awards after party sponsored by Vanity Fair, which was solely in control of who attended it’s affair, she has asserted that he is in some way associated with Ghislane Maxwell and by implication, Jeffrey Epstein. Outright malice by this CNBC reporter is further demonstrated when the reporter states that his relationship and parenting of a child with 31 year old singer Grimes equates with pedophilia and that somehow the behavior of his estranged father somehow has bearing on his own behavior. The reporter then goes on to solicit further sources from the thread by offering anonymous contact points. The reporter has demonstrated clear malice in the statements by rumor, innuendo and false association. CNBC would be wise to disassociate itself from this sort of torrid and malicious behavior worthy only of the sleaziest tabloid libel and purveyors of this.

Fire Away!
(It’s STILL the batteries, Stupid!)
She worked at The Wall Street Journal and is friends with Charley Grant a writer for the journal he also writes hit pieces on Tesla, and btw his father is best friends with Chanos. Basically she's part Chanos's network of "bozos"*

* Jim Cramer reference

If TSLA is above $3000 by the shareholders meeting, I promise I will show up to the Fremont Factory wearing this in XL and absolutely nothing else.

tesla-shorts.png

Can someone tell me if I am losing my mind here?

I am considering taking out a personal loan with an APR of 3-5%, and rather than buying Tesla shares monthly (at this price around 1 per month) but instead a year worth in one go and simply pay off the loan instead of buying shares every month?

What's the collateral for the loan? Is it stock or something else? Will you get a margin call in cast TSLA goes down?

If you don't have a risk of getting margin called, and you have enough monthly incone to pay it off, I don't see much risk here.

Not advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Twooz
Waitaminute!
Maybe I’m wrong, but I tend to assume the majority of posters here are men. What are you guys going to do with all those short shorts you’re buying???

I mean, everyone has their own style, but I gotta tell you guys, I do NOT want to see any attachments with you modeling your XL S3XY short shorts. Some things cannot be unseen.

I'm waiting for the Tesla Long Johns:

tljs.png

Peter Mertens worked for Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, GM, and Jaguar Landrover. A true Veteran who knows and is connected with the whos who in the industry.

Why is that relevant for a Tesla investor? Because he talks a lot about Tesla, Battery Technology, Autonomous driving, and GF Berlin.

Alex, you mention the German auto industry was able to succeed and increase their margins, in part, by outsourcing heavily and this isn't the first time I've heard the idea that outsourcing can save money.

At first look, it would seem the company supplying the outsourced parts would have all the same expenses the auto company would have if the parts were made in-house (wages, benefits, land, building, taxes, utilities, raw materials, equipment, etc). But on top of those costs, the outsourced parts need to be transported to the auto plant and there is a certain duplication of CEO and upper management functions.

So my question is, by what mechanism does outsourcing save money?

• Funny
Reactions: Drax7
I just got an email from Tesla telling me thta the shortz shorts were avaialble...I immediately opened my account...and they did have shorts available..if my wife was a medium or large>
Forgive me. I have been blessed. Only XS fits her...especially something as S3XY as this.... so dang it...
They're will be XS sizes on eBay soon, just wait... but you may have to pay more...;-)

She worked at The Wall Street Journal and is friends with Charley Grant a writer for the journal he also writes hit pieces on Tesla, and btw his father is best friends with Chanos. Basically she's part Chanos's network of "bozos"*

* Jim Cramer reference
I will never ever trust Chanos...

* Jim Cramer reference
I guess it's amazing watching Thanos fighting solo after literally every other big name ally has already capitulated. I guess for him, his reputation is on the line here, either Tesla falls or no one will ever believe any of his future short theses ever again. He will never give up, never surrender, until the day he dies maybe.

I need more money though, so maybe that's a good thing. I wonder how much Thanos has transferred to TSLA investors already...

What's the collateral for the loan? Is it stock or something else? Will you get a margin call in cast TSLA goes down?

If you don't have a risk of getting margin called, and you have enough monthly incone to pay it off, I don't see much risk here.

Not advice.

Only other risk is that source of income falling away.

I don't know how much @Twooz 's yearly income is, but another thing that might accomplish what you want is this:

If the amount you're thinking of borrowing is 100 shares worth ($120k), and you already own 500 shares, you could sell 200 shares to buy 3 Jun'21 $400 call options, and use the $120k one year from now to exercise the 3 options. You'll pay a small premium on the call options (currently trading at $831), so ~$6k or 5% of the $120k, but this might also be worth considering.

Last edited:
Only other risk is that source of income falling away.

I don't know how much @Twooz 's yearly income is, but another thing that might accomplish what you want is this:

If the amount you're thinking of borrowing is 100 shares worth ($120k), and you already own 500 shares, you could sell 200 shares to buy 3 Jun'21 $400 call options, and use the $120k one year from now to exercise the 3 options. You'll pay a small premium on the call options (currently trading at $831), so ~$6k or 5% of the $120k, but this might also be worth considering.

Also consider taxes - if you get taxed for selling shares, this approach might not be so feasible.

Alex, you mention the German auto industry was able to succeed and increase their margins, in part, by outsourcing heavily and this isn't the first time I've heard the idea that outsourcing can save money.

At first look, it would seem the company supplying the outsourced parts would have all the same expenses the auto company would have if the parts were made in-house (wages, benefits, land, building, taxes, utilities, raw materials, equipment, etc). But on top of those costs, the outsourced parts need to be transported to the auto plant and there is a certain duplication of CEO and upper management functions.

So my question is, by what mechanism does outsourcing save money?
In the ICE world anything that doesn't differentiate the brand is bought from OEMs, which can offer economy of scale because they can make e.g. 10 million alternators instead of one million. It's been a vigorous, healthy supply chain (most of the time) for decades. Also means that ICEmakers know about engines and supply chain management and not very much else.

In the ICE world anything that doesn't differentiate the brand is bought from OEMs, which can offer economy of scale because they can make e.g. 10 million alternators instead of one million. It's been a vigorous, healthy supply chain (most of the time) for decades. Also means that ICEmakers know about engines and supply chain management and not very much else.

If it's just a volume game then Tesla can win the game by using their existing lead while continuing to grow volumes and remaining vertically integrated.

If it's just a volume game then Tesla can win the game by using their existing lead while continuing to grow volumes and remaining vertically integrated.
I've heard here over the years that the OEM expects the subcontractor to have yearly reduction in costs and lower prices for the subcontracted parts. It's the subcontractor that has to to the hard work in making production more and more efficient.