Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing seven figures in my account is so surreal that I've taken screenshots of it as it first breached the million dollar mark and at various points along the climb toward what I hope and believe will soon be "multi" status. It's all on paper, so I really don't feel any different.
They say the first million is the hardest:cool:

fat cat.gif

Yet, still the conversation remains centered in automotive. The implications of battery day are far greater. The aggregate total of electric vehicles, autonomous driving, and solar power wed to energy storage, will magnify disruption across the automotive, utility, and energy sectors.

Ark investing, employs analysts steeped in their individual disciplines. If I were young, I would specialize in how the entire Tesla product line dovetails together. Tesla’s impact will be exponentially greater than the sum total of its individual parts.

And if you are young, this is indeed, advice.
Amen.

I think cybertruck represents this in a microcosm. If capable of true FSD, and of providing grid services, it's both a transportation and energy product rolled into one. Don't want your personal vehicle to earn you money by giving rides? Just keep it plugged in when you're not driving and it will buy, store, and sell electricity. Just want it to maximize revenue? Have it give rides when the prices are high enough, and plug in to provide grid services when they're not.

It also struck me this morning how each Tesla product make other energy transition products (probably provided by Tesla) more valuable. Buy a Model 3, and the value proposition of a solar roof + powerwall seems to improve and vice versa. Not to mention a rumored future HVAC product.

Boggles the mind.

Looking at today's volume I think THEY are looking for anything between 1300 and 1400 for a Friday close. Those are the PUTs and CALLs they have been targeting with these ups and downs today. I am betting on it not going below 1300 but I am not going to touch the high bets.

As the week progress THEY will tighten that up if we don't go parabolic again. Good day to consolidate. The shorts manage to do the cartoon A$$ in the water bowl last night and this morning to cool things off. That doesn't stop the hurt from the burn tho. We are at 14 million shares traded and it's just now lunch. Someone is dumping shares IMO. I imagine naked shares from MMs. Those have to get covered at some point. Right now they are probably calling around trying to get a huge negative headline but no one has anything.
tvolme.png

From Adam Jonas, "what we believe to be inevitable competition in EVs and AVs from a host of well capitalized tech firms (AMZN, AAPL, GOOGL, etc.) are just not seen by the market as a big enough part of the narrative for the remainder of 2020". I guess legacy auto maker didn't work well for his competition narrative. Now he brings in the tech firms. Zoox? Apple car? Waymo?

Tesla taking control of their own battery destiny is huge!

This Roadrunner project down the road from the factory in Fremont

Hard to deduce how many batteries will be coming out of this facility based on 38 trucks a day, but 470 employees would indicate a lot of batteries!

Manufacturing involving the final process step in battery cell manufacturing.

470 employees with facility operating 24/7.

38 trucks a day delivering materials and shipping finished batteries.

Tesla reveals more on status of Roadrunner secret project for battery production - Electrek

Initial Study to Addendum and Mitigated Negative Declaration | Dangerous Goods | Nature

Last edited:
They say the first million is the hardest and that much is true! They also say "patience is a virtue" and I can think of no other arena that is more true than in investing.

Congratulations on the milestone and don't be disheartened if you dip below and above a few times before leaving it in the dust!
First million was def the hardest. Stock portfolio went from 0 to 1 mil after 3 years. Then Tesla happened and went from 1 mil to 2 mil in 5 months. Wife was like when did we have 2 mil? We celebrated 1 mil just this Jan.

They say the first million is the hardest and that much is true! They also say "patience is a virtue" and I can think of no other arena that is more true than in investing.

Congratulations on the milestone and don't be disheartened if you dip below and above a few times before leaving it in the dust!

I feel like the reason "the first million is the hardest" is simply because you spend your early investing career looking for the once in a lifetime big thing that will generate the wealth that sets you up for life. Plenty of these opportunities have come and gone and you only need to catch one at the right time but that's not easy.

For those of us here, against all odds it was TSLA. I was born too late to catch AAPL and MSFT, started my investing career too late to catch AMZN, got in on NVDA too early in my working life to put enough money into that to catch it in a way that set me up for life. It was TSLA where I finally had the money, the experience, and the timing to finally break through. Most people go their whole lives never having that fortunate confluence of events.

Yeah, the first million is the hardest. But that's not what is interesting. What's interesting is why.

(re victory laps: I started a mortgage 3 years ago for my first home: I could close it today. It boggles the mind).

Same... could easily pay off the home, boggling! But when should I do it is my question?

In our case, that would require an IRA withdrawal that's taxable as normal income (I'm almost 60 so no penalty) while my wife still makes a 6 figure salary. So just Income Taxes get out of hand pretty quickly to potentially wipe out any savings from mortgage interest (not much left anyway, year ~10 of 15, fixed).

So I'm thinking we continue paying low interest loans on our Home, Model 3, Solar, 2 PWs, another Tesla soon, and more Solar, until she retires. Then start the payoff strategy over time. Risk is that after Nov elections, do we become the new targets for taxation making my strategy foolish for not just biting the bullet and paying it all off now, taxes included? Then there's inflation making it a possible borrowers market soon.

Anyone have something that takes and models the parameters I mentioned here? Gut feels are also welcome! Oh, and the cash is not for investing, that's separate now so assume no loss there other than lost opportunity in buying power after a possible Depression event. (Oh, here it comes, "You're over analyzing it...")

I guess she doesn't think my TD account is real yet, so she's putting together a 5 yr exit plan. What's the point I ask?

I feel like the reason "the first million is the hardest" is simply because you spend your early investing career looking for the once in a lifetime big thing that will generate the wealth that sets you up for life. Plenty of these opportunities have come and gone and you only need to catch one at the right time but that's not easy.

For those of us here, against all odds it was TSLA. I was born too late to catch AAPL and MSFT, started my investing career too late to catch AMZN, got in on NVDA too early in my working life to put enough money into that to catch it in a way that set me up for life. It was TSLA where I finally had the money, the experience, and the timing to finally break through. Most people go their whole lives never having that fortunate confluence of events.

Yeah, the first million is the hardest. But that's not what is interesting. What's interesting is why.

It's just math. Stock going up 50% that year because you are such a good picker only gained you probably 20k because you only invested 40k. But gaining 50% on a million is 500k. That's how it explodes and continue to do so.

Back in the days, a good market day would have yielded me a cool 1k. Today a bad market day yields me 10k..lol.

It's just math. Stock going up 50% that year because you are such a good picker only gained you probably 20k because you only invested 40k. But gaining 50% on a million is 500k. That's how it explodes and continue to do so.

Back in the days, a good market day would have yielded me a cool 1k. Today a bad market day yields me 10k..lol.

You just explained why the rich tend to get richer in case you didn't realize it. But yeah, what you said makes sense. It explains why wealth tends to concentrate when capitalism is left to it's own devices. It also explains why people play with options. The only way to turn this brutal math in your favor is to leverage up, and in recent years many people have discovered derivatives and also Robinhood arrived and heralded a new era of investing for everyone. And that in turn explains the meteoric rise of r/wallstreetbets.

I really need to figure out how to buy into IPO's so I can be ready when Robinhood goes public. They have quietly revolutionized stock trading and most people don't know it.

Reactions: replicant

There is another anecdotal life lesson that some silicon Valley VC have taught me for people that want to know what's coming.
When your net worth reaches 10 mil, you are going to suffer some catastrophic loss that brings it back down to 1 million. But if you perservere, you'll gain it back eventually. Or if you are aware and made preparations to exit at 10 mil, you should be able to mitigate it.
There's also a few other funny saying he learned in SV. Things like, everybody has 10 mil in SV or the money is not yours until it is in your bank account.

First million was def the hardest. Stock portfolio went from 0 to 1 mil after 3 years. Then Tesla happened and went from 1 mil to 2 mil in 5 months. Wife was like when did we have 2 mil? We celebrated 1 mil just this Jan.

That's bananas.

If TSLA is potentially a 10x from here (based on Cathie Wood's research) one would need a $100k investment to ultimately reach $1M. And that timeline is probably more like 10 years from now.

I regret not putting more into TSLA when I started following in the mid to high 100s.

So I'm not sure I understand the impetus for people taking profits right now. I mean, for some who are now gloriously wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, I get it...but aren't there some guaranteed positive catalysts coming up in the next few months that make it worth staying in? I guess I see way more upside in the next few months than any risk of downside.

The joy in making lots of money comes from what you can do with it, not just staring at an awesome number on a spreadsheet. The best things I could have done to make the number on my spreadsheet more impressive would have been to never sell a share, not bought a Model S, not bought a Roadster, not bought a Model X, not bought a Model 3, not reserved a Cybertruck and not reserved a Founder's 2020 (ish) Roadster. But my kids are doing very well, both with me still living and will do well when I'm gone, so I think it's fair to enjoy some of the gains instead of growing their inheritance even more.

Btw, did you know they make solar powered yachts? www.silent-yachts.com ;)

You should say what i say when my wife asks about gains..."Those are all on paper...tomorrow we could be down 1 million" :)

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and dm28997

A bad market day yields you $10k?? I need your investment strategy!