Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know it's a troll when they claim they couldn't be a troll because they have been camping under the bridge since before you got there!

Do you ever not lie about what folks you disagree with actually said? Just curious.

What I actually said in response to your suggestion I'm only here to spread FUD (which I haven't done even once, so another lie from you) was to point out I've been here longer and made far more posts than even you have.

Thus you could easily go look at those posts to see your claims about why I'm here and what I post are factually wrong.

But facts don't seem to interest you nearly as much as attacking anyone who presents any facts painting any aspect of the company as anything less than perfect.

Which again- unrealistic imaginings about a company is a poor way to make investment decisions, but you do you.

I'm obviously quite PRO tesla (apart from owning one and having quite a bit invested in em)- but having fact/realistic based ideas about what things they might accomplish when in the future helps inform that.

If you ACTUALLY believed Elon that they'd have robotaxis approved by end of 2020 as he claimed last year you might well have made somewhat different choices (especially as regards option plays) than if you realized he consistently throws out dates he has no idea if he can (and likely can not) meet on the FSD front.

So knowing the difference might well be helpful to some folks. Though not you apparently.

Interesting and insightful but unfortunately completely one-sided :(. I am quite in the middle between the two poles she describes.
That's bc there is so much in common betwwen the 2 groups. I think you were represented. I read it twice, kinda scary and definitely, maybe need to disguise my Model 3 as a Nissan 240sx in some crowds.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
When you say he violated a "promise" you are calling him a lair. Or do we get into a dictionary battle on this next, and waste everyone's time.

Not only did I not do that- I specifically cited a quote from Elon himself explaining why his breaking promises on this stuff does not mean he's a liar.

So again some people appear to have made up stuff I not only didn't say- but said the opposite of- so as to have some fake things to be mad about.

I agree there's trolls here, but I ain't one of em :)

i think you're the one unclear on the definition :)

At the most I TOTALLY RIDE ELONS JOCK reading of his actual words he at least promised in the 2nd definition under verb.

In any reasonable reading the "I am confident we will have..." line fits the other 2 definitions too.

I love Elon too man- but he has zero idea how long FSD will actually take.

He's literally said if it's something he hasn't done before you can't trust his word on how long things will take (Green cited this in his remarks).

Stop defending bullshit dates.

(and he should stop giving em- it's just fuel for the anti-tesla folks fires)

This is what he said in 2019-his exact words in quotes.

“I feel very confident predicting autonomous robotaxis for Tesla next year,” Musk said on stage at the Tesla Autonomy Investor Day in Palo Alto, California. They won’t be “in all jurisdictions, because we won’t have regulatory approval everywhere, but I am confident we will have at least regulatory approval somewhere, literally next year,” he said.

prom·ise
/ˈpräməs/

noun
  1. a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that a particular thing will happen.
    "what happened to all those firm promises of support?"
verb
  1. 1.
    assure someone that one will definitely do, give, or arrange something; undertake or declare that something will happen.
    "he promised to forward my mail"
  2. 2.
    give good grounds for expecting (a particular occurrence or situation).

The entire FSD forum on TMC is just filled with this sort of garbage. Whining and complaining about what Elon "promised". Over and over and over again. Oh and Waymo has won because there's a driverless car in suburban Phoenix.

No technical expertise being input, just garbage.

That's the forum. Now I see they are leaking in over here. Just throw it all out.

I'm not at all surprised they missed the date (or will anyway, technically 2020 isn't over but it's pretty clear they're missing the date). He's been missing dates on FSD since 2016.

That was kinda the point of why you should take any promises from him on that topic with a continent of salt...and not necessarily price into your stock considerations any dates he gives on the topic.

The issue was someone claiming he never even made the promise in the first place and suggesting I was lying about it or not understanding what the word promise meant.

I am pricing into my stock considerations Elon's FSD predictions. I bought shares yesterday instead of waiting.

Futurist Ray Kurzweil observed that humans tend to think of change as linear, not exponential. His favorite example is the legend of The Inventor of Chess and the Emperor of China. Another example is your post.

I know little about neural nets, but I know that supercomputers work fast. Once the self-driving neural nets are set up and the driving data is loaded up, I suspect it will not take long for the nets to learn from the data. Maybe days? Maybe hours? Supercomputers don't learn at human speed.

So I disagree that "it's pretty clear" Tesla will miss Elon's latest deadline, since "technically" 2020 is quite far from over.

Another mistake of linear thinking is assuming that because Elon misjudged the FSD timeline in the past, he will continue to do so. Every day of his team's progress brings him more information on which to base his predictions. And unlike some people, Elon learns from his mistakes. Model S, X and 3 all appeared later than he predicted. Model Y was six months early.

Tesla (TSLA) will be larger than 95% of the S&P 500 if it qualifies for the index | Teslarati.com

Make that 97% (and climbing): TSLA would enter the S&P 500 ranked at about #17 at current Market Cap of 262.167B (just passed NVDA).

Cheers!

Are you counting GOOG and GOOGL as separate companies? They are separate tickers.

This is a list of S&P 500 stocks, updated daily. As of yesterday:

1 Microsoft Corporation MSFT 6.235476
down.gif
213.26 -1.06 (-0.49%)
2 Apple Inc. AAPL 5.985626
down.gif
381.88 -0.85 (-0.22%)
3 Amazon.com Inc. AMZN 5.120107
up.gif
3,184.76 2.13 (0.07%)
4 Facebook Inc. Class A FB 2.257404
down.gif
241.88 -2.62 (-1.07%)
5 Alphabet Inc. Class A GOOGL 1.74961
down.gif
1,517.74 -0.92 (-0.06%)
6 Alphabet Inc. Class C GOOG 1.69676
up.gif
1,514.71 3.72 (0.25%)
7 Johnson & Johnson JNJ 1.44144
up.gif
142.53 0.04 (0.03%)
8 Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class B BRK.B 1.334794
up.gif
180.65 1.85 (1.03%)
9 Visa Inc. Class A V 1.245137
down.gif
191.34 -0.87 (-0.45%)
10 Procter & Gamble Company PG 1.163907
up.gif
123.41 0.93 (0.76%)
11 JPMorgan Chase & Co. JPM 1.067939
up.gif
94.45 3.17 (3.47%)
12 UnitedHealth Group Incorporated UNH 1.060268
down.gif
290.34 -0.82 (-0.28%)
13 Home Depot Inc. HD 1.023994
up.gif
250.02 2.06 (0.83%)
14 Mastercard Incorporated Class A MA 0.998072
up.gif
294.94 0.35 (0.12%)
15 NVIDIA Corporation NVDA 0.992842
up.gif
421.45 1.09 (0.26%)
16 Intel Corporation

With the market the way it is these days, the list fluctuates quite a bit, even for companies this big. This is a list that's just a few days old, and so it doesn't capture NVDA's recent run to surpass INTC, for instance.

I am pricing into my stock considerations Elon's FSD predictions. I bought shares yesterday instead of waiting.

Futurist Ray Kurzweil observed that humans tend to think of change as linear, not exponential. His favorite example is the legend of The Inventor of Chess and the Emperor of China. Another example is your post.

I know little about neural nets, but I know that supercomputers work fast. Once the self-driving neural nets are set up and the driving data is loaded up, I suspect it will not take long for the nets to learn from the data. Maybe days? Maybe hours? Supercomputers don't learn at human speed.

So I disagree that "it's pretty clear" Tesla will miss Elon's latest deadline, since "technically" 2020 is quite far from over.

Another mistake of linear thinking is assuming that because Elon misjudged the FSD timeline in the past, he will continue to do so. Every day of his team's progress brings him more information on which to base his predictions. And unlike some people, Elon learns from his mistakes. Model S, X and 3 all appeared later than he predicted. Model Y was six months early.

Model 3 was on time. Deliveries began in July 2017 to employees and I took delivery in December 2017.

"Musk is "fairly confident" that deliveries will begin by the end of 2017"

This is the Tesla Model 3, coming in 2017 for $35,000.