Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a little "not advice". I have a modest sum in an Edward Jones IRA from a previous employer that has been languishing for a while. I'm considering setting up and rolling it into an ETrade retirement account (already have a brokerage account there) so I can (presumably) direct it to TSLA, or maybe split between TSLA and ARKK depending on how conservative I'm feeling. Looking back, it seems like a no-brainer I should have done a long time ago, right?

Also, a huge thank you to all of you knowledgeable and generous folks who have shared your wisdom and kept me accumulating and HODLing the last couple years.

Non-qualified, IRA rollover, and two Roth IRA accounts all in TSLA. When I look at the combined holdings summary it seems like compounding on steroids. I was in the same boat as you until I decided to fully commit to my belief in Tesla and its future. After years of non-performing, analyst-suggested portfolio (such as Tupperware and Xerox), I decided to educate myself and stop listening to the “experts.” My investing approach is radical in comparison, and not diversified (from an equities perspective), but I have spent the last 6 years immersing myself in all things Tesla and I believe in the roadmap to the future - may sound strange, but to me it’s the least risky thing I could do with my equities investments and achieve meaningful returns. It helps that I don’t rely on my equities investments for living expenses - each person is different and has their own situation and goals to consider, but this works for me.

How would you fill that up in 1-2 days? What infrastructure are you suggesting everyone should have at home?

At 10A/230V it takes 30 hours plus to charge a Model s 100... I know what’s cheaper, and that’s not upgrading each home...

230v outlets should be rated for at least 30A with a 40A breaker (old dryer connections). Newer ones with a NEMA 14-50 outlet should have a 50A breaker and be able to charge at 40A. Full charge time should not be more than 8-10 hours max.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
It is on due bill, but otherwise the car seems perfect, except of course for the slight condensation in the right rear tail light which at this point I believe is simply a Tesla trademark.

Indeed, I had this a lot on my P85, but absent on my XP100DL, so I complained to the Service Centre who replaced them (goodwill, of course) with genuine Tesla parts.

How many of the advanced technology in the Model Y, like the octovalve, will be used in the Model 3? I expect all of it, but I never heard information regarding this subject. This way, I think the range of the Model 3 can be increased even further.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm happy to be contributing from now on.
Certainly all of it. For Fremont and Giga Shanghai, the only question is when.

Since you live in Europe, seems like they could implement Model Y upgrades from the start whenever Giga Berlin starts Model 3 production down the line.

I did the same 4 years ago, rolled over 401K from previous employer ($190K reached over 12 years with 5% contribution plus some employer matches). I put it all in TSLA in a traditional IRA on E*Trade. The account low was last year in May at $22K, I thought I had squandered it all. Today it is at all time high:
$1,900,000
I bet you're on an all time high as well!

Misery loves company. I’ve been watching the stock price in terror for the last few months. I’m going through a divorce and have to split all of the increases with my wife. It’s really ruined the whole owning of the stock for me. It’s not so much the thought of having to share it as it is I’ll be left holding the bag if the TSLA bubble bursts after the settlement.

Sorry about the divorce! How does that work with stocks? By your comment I infer that you "buy the other one out" based upon the value on a specific day?

Elon keeps a "little black book", well, not really a black book, just a database of questionable shareholder/owners. Any shareholder listed here will not be eligible.

How to get in Elon's little black book:

1) low conviction shareholders
2) anyone who sold as soon as we hit $900
3) suggesting a demand problem
4) complaining of panel gap variances of less than 2.1 mm
5) FUSC owners whose favorite pastime is hanging out at their local Supercharger(s)
6) "hearting" a Mark Spiegel Tweet
7) using an acronym you invented

/s
8. anyone who works for the SEC
9. anyone who's first name starts with Trevor and ends with Milton

No wonder you sleep in till 10am every day!
Indeed! You realize I am on Pacific Daylight time and also retired, so I can wait until half of the show has been recorded until I start to watch right? Sometimes on this thread just catching up takes 4 hours...

Indeed! You realize I am on Pacific Daylight time and also retired, so I can wait until half of the show has been recorded until I start to watch right? Sometimes on this thread just catching up takes 4 hours...
I am on pacific daylight time as well...i wake up at 5:00am every morning to start my peloton ride, catch up on TMC and then wait for the show to start :). Speaking of which, isnt it almost bedtime for you already in 4 hours? :p:p:p:p

Sorry about the divorce! How does that work with stocks? By your comment I infer that you "buy the other one out" based upon the value on a specific day?
Depending on which state he/she lives in....but in CA, it's 1/2 your sh**!! Sometimes, the other party is eligible even if you aren't married but have been living together for a certain period of time.

That's why i always say 'Its cheaper to keep her"....unless of course it's some crazy reason.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
I have enough in a 401k that I can use to offset the imbalance of assets. My TSLA is 90% of my Roth that I can hopefully keep whole. This is really going to alter my diversification in a bad way. Although after being back on here for the last few days, if TSLA was 90% of all of my assets you guys would say I was over diversified. Hopefully you’re right.

I have enough in a 401k that I can use to offset the imbalance of assets. My TSLA is 90% of my Roth that I can hopefully keep whole. This is really going to alter my diversification in a bad way. Although after being back on here for the last few days, if TSLA was 90% of all of my assets you guys would say I was over diversified. Hopefully you’re right.
Actually, we would say you are 'under diversified' because you're not at 100%. :cool:

I'll refer you to my initial statement:

"This type of thing (effect of SP addition) is notoriously difficult for anyone to predict, and especially this far in advance since the macro climate at the time of addition will have quite an impact."

Fair point. I too have wondered about what the impact of macro forces will have on the SP with rising case numbers - and how the macro market perceives that.

Although we have the March drop to look to, a lot has happened since then.

I’m Long and have been buying along the way since the March ( last purchases in the 1360/ 1370 range). secretly wishing for drops so I can buy more!