Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT about OT stuff

Perhaps the mods need to create a new subforum for all the OT stuff. Then if someone wants an OT diversion (of what someone else finds interesting and felt an overwhelming compulsion to share) they can go there to the OT forum and if they want to follow investor related discussions they could stay here.

I made a suggestion which was dismissed by the mods, that off topic discussion could simply be highlighted a different colour, making it easy to skim past. So for example this line could be blue as off-topic (the text colour should be blue not the content!)...

while investment info would still be black.

I think that mod has moved on, so what are your all thoughts about this simple solution? (not perfect, as hard to highlight text on phones sometimes)

Here is how I see this week for all long and strong TSLA share holders.

money.gif

Here are the shorties.

free.gif

This is unfortunate because the name is Model 3, or just 3 for short. It is not, and has never been, 'M3'.

BMW has held the trademark for 'M3' since 1986.

This confusion about 'M3' is temporary, time will resolve this problem soon enough.
The world will quickly forget about the bankrupt car company formerly known as BMW and their names and fame will fade away, kids will laugh at the few old clunkers still on the road with the M3 badge and think the old folks driving them were trying to imitate the iconic Tesla.

I'm no accountant, but I'm assuming that revenue that was deferred could be recognized at any time. If they wanted to, could they recognize all $140M in Q2? I'm confused as to what enables recognition and what requires deferral.

The accounting for EV credits are not well spelled out in the 10K/10Q filings. But this is how I suspect they are accounted for.

There are 2 pieces to EV Credits: (1) Earn Them....(2) Sell Them.
When Tesla earns EV Credits, there is no revenue yet so no impact to income. Only when the credits are sold and transferred to the buyer are credits recognized as revenue.

The likely entries are:

When EV Credits are Earned
Debit: Other Asset $140m (Balance Sheet Account)
Credit: Deferred Revenue $140m (Balance Sheet Account)

When EV Credits are Sold

Debit: Cash $140m (Balance Sheet Account)
Credit: Other Assets $140m (Balance Sheet Account)

Debit: Deferred Revenue $140m (Balance Sheet Account)
Credit: Revenue $140m (Income Statement Account)

Tesla has $140m of Deferred Revenue on the books at the end of Q1 2020. If they can find a buyer in Q2, that would bring the $140m to Revenue/Income in Q2.

Note: The accounting for the FCA/Tesla EU Emmisions revenue I suspect is different. There are no credits being sold. Tesla is being paid for joining the pool. So the accounting is unknown to me. I am accounting for the FCA-Tesla Pooling by applying a value to every car Tesla registers in the EU as each car registered reduced FCA's penalty at year-end.

Last edited:
I am accounting for the FCA-Tesla Pooling by applying a value to every car Tesla registers in the EU as each car registered reduced FCA's penalty at year-end.
I suspect the calculation depends upon the number of EVs that FCA was able to ship in Q2 due to the existance of "Super Credits" (double-counting some first portion of EVs made by a manufacturer). @Prunesquallor did extensive research and may be able to point at his previous comments to help refresh our memories.

Other issues with the nature of this 'pool' contract are:
  • whether it's depends solely on the number of vehicles Tesla delivers up to the agreed upon limit
  • if it also allows FCA to decrease its payments if they themselves sell fewer petrol powered units total (as we'd expect during this Covid outbreak).
Cheers!

OT about OT stuff

Perhaps the mods need to create a new subforum for all the OT stuff. Then if someone wants an OT diversion (of what someone else finds interesting and felt an overwhelming compulsion to share) they can go there to the OT forum and if they want to follow investor related discussions they could stay here.
I trust that this must be a joke, given the existence of Off Topic. Or did you mean a new subforum for stuff that is Off Topic for investor discussions but not off topic for off topic discussions. Or something.

OT about OT stuff

This topic is called "Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable".

This is *the* offtopic thread for all somehow investment related roundtable discussions. If you want to discuss a specific topic feel to create a new thread.

This is at least my perception. You disagree? Then let's change the title of this thread...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
... it also allows FCA to decrease its payments if they themselves sell fewer petrol powered units total (as we'd expect during this Covid outbreak).
Cheers!

With a marked decrease in their sales of combustion units, I'd not anticipate payments to be hugely significant. Just my opinion.

Would love to!

Keep in mind everyone that I'm still living in Kuala Lumpur, but I hope to be making Singapore my permanent home very soon. Perhaps as soon as in a few months if I get accepted into INSEAD. I will hear the final result of my application by this Friday. Fingers crossed.
KL does have one of the best Lahor-style restaurants around. FWIW, I spent about six months in KL. My closest friend is from Lahore originally but has lived in KL for years. He chose this place:
Best North Indian Punjabi Food In Kuala Lumpur, Cyberjaya
I'm not certain how the preparations might differ if not ordered in Urdu. Anyway, in Singapore I'd really tend to go for Chili Crab and Long Beach Dempsey is my favorite location. Long Beach is the only choice because it allegedly invented the dish.

Having regularly been in both KL and Singapore since the 1960's I admit to strong personal preferences in both, often dealing with food. Of course Singapore is not really a good place for cars, although some of the best hotels, like the ST Regis actually have free parking. I tend to stay there fo that alone. Now if Teslas were welcomed I might move there permanently.