Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday afternoon I received an interesting phone call from Fidelity (where I have an IRA account). I have had an IRA account with them for 12 years. Last year I moved all my investment into TSLA. Keep in mind I have never received a phone call from them in the past, never.

So the phone call goes like this:
Fidelity: We notice you have all of your investment in TSLA. Why?
Me: Because I have done my research and I in believe in this company.
Fidelity: Would you like to talk to one of our experts about diversifying?
Me: Nope. I am all set.
Fidelity: We strongly suggest you talk to our experts about diversifying?
Me: Look, this is my money and I can invests it any way I want to. If I need any help I will reach out to you. Thanks for the offer.
Fidelity: But sir, we understand that..............
Me: Good bye (I hang up)

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would they be so concerned about my investment strategy?

Your point would probably have been better made if you described how you don a banana hammock (bikini?) every morning, lube yourself up in oil, and swim in a pool filled with ten-dollar bills just to wake up refreshed as a result of your non-diversification in TSLA.

Yesterday afternoon I received an interesting phone call from Fidelity (where I have an IRA account). I have had an IRA account with them for 12 years. Last year I moved all my investment into TSLA. Keep in mind I have never received a phone call from them in the past, never.

Me: Look, this is my money and I can invests it any way I want to. If I need any help I will reach out to you. Thanks for the offer.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would they be so concerned about my investment strategy?
The perfect response would have been 'My ROI since moving my investment to TSLA is __%, if you have someone that has a higher ROI since i moved all my investment to TSLA, i would be more than happy to talk to that genius' Guaranteed you'll hear crickets :)

Me: Good bye (I hand up)

TD gave up on me ~2 yrs ago. They "Managed" some of my IRA money in a bond fund for a short period, while I managed my TSLA account. It was clear which side was winning so I just drained theirs into cash - all in 1 day. They let me keep the account open in case, but no phone calls since. Not even to see how I'm doing (so obvious). They must have us marked as a waste of time bc the advice probably flows in the opposite direction now.

I forgot to mention the ~700 shares I sold last year for dirt cheap before my latest rebalancing act. Ouch! Especially since my sister posted her retirement spot, 40 acres on a mountain surrounded by lakes and reserves in Canada. I would have around 500 shares if not for the pandemic... got nervous about a crash. Still am. But I try not to look at what I could have had - that's the glass half empty feeling I don't like.

Instead, I'm super grateful and helping others more now - delivering voting fliers, donating to KJZZ / NPR, Az Dem Candidates, Science/STEM... I highly recommend it for your own well being. Call it a 12th step if that's your thing. Lots of people need help now... you literally can't miss.
View attachment 567076

i bought at 305$ 2 years ago
It dropped to 180$
I sold at 650$ during pandemic crash
Bought back at 805$
Sold at 1150$

Having fun with buy n sell 400 shares

Been a profitable run
But could be better

Personal Capital app is the worst about this.

"Your largest individual stock holding is TSLA which is 10.2% of your portfolio."

I'm thinking, "CURSES! Why did I roll my previous 401k into my new employer's plan?"

The app tries to get me to speak to an advisor on a weekly basis. They've called me probably four times in the couple of months that I've been using the app.

TD has tried the same on me multiple times. Finally I told the guy as client I will call you, but don't call me ;)

Next time someone get a call, ask them if they have enough shares for S&P inclusion

"Your largest individual stock holding is TSLA which is 10.2% of your portfolio."

I'm thinking, "CURSES! Why did I roll my previous 401k into my new employer's plan?"

The app tries to get me to speak to an advisor on a weekly basis. They've called me probably four times in the couple of months that I've been using the app.

Personal Capital is the best of the “free” finance manager tools I’ve tried, but you probably pay for it a few times over in having to screen annoying sales calls and emails.

Yep, me feels this is a fake dip to again take money from weak longs and we'll see another strong push up shortly.

Disclaimer. I'm always wrong about short-term TSLA behavior (except for that one time the other day), so please don't value my opinion any more--or less for that matter--than Adam Jonas or that other moron with his target in the $200s. (No space in brain to remember his name, it's too full of cash).

Last edited:
Interesting (maybe) - while TSLA, QQQ's are down (slightly), NKLA is up 3% 7/21/2020 10:50 am - weird .. or what? Anyway, expecting another up wave after 1 pm if I were to bet on this

Attachments

• TSLA.200721.NKLA.jpg
    TSLA.200721.NKLA.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 51

I went ahead and let them make an appointment with me and talked with one of their advisors. They haven't bothered me since. Really, its a free service they run as a sales-lead generator, so i figured I'd let them justify their free service. Its a fair trade for 45 minutes of my time.

The same happens with people who sold too fast. Most of them won't tell us here. If not out of shame, then because they fear the HODL-police.

Forget selling them too fast, there was a time I sold a tenth of my holdings because hey the 1K gain in 4 days was still an amazing return on them.

Would have already been a Teslanaire if I hadn't kept chopping on my initial investment booking those marginal returns :rolleyes: Fortunately, learning from mistakes are the best teachings one can get.

upload_2020-7-21_9-48-57.png

Yep, me feels this is a fake dip to again take money from weak longs and we'll see another strong push up shortly.

Disclaimer. I'm always wrong about short-term TSLA behavior (except for that one time the other day), so please don't value my opinion any more--or less for that matter--than Adam Jonas or that other moron with his target in the $200s. (No space in brain to remember his name).

I’m always right

Every time I buy it drops
Every time I sell it goes up

Disclaimer. I'm always wrong about short-term TSLA behavior (except for that one time the other day), so please don't value my opinion any more--or less for that matter--than Adam Jonas or that other moron with his target in the $200s. (No space in brain to remember his name).
yesterday the the ramp started around noon EDT ... lets watch and see :rolleyes:

Yeah, Ben Graham thinks if it doesn't yield a constant dividend, like GE or GM, you shouldn't invest in it.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of Graham. His central wisdom is regarding the mispricing of securities, the concept of margin of safety, and investing versus speculating. In his day, corporate America held a lot of cash and he thought they weren't paying sufficient dividends. If a company didn't have a nice-sized regular dividend, it was a sign that there probably were other, better investment targets. Buffett, Graham's most famous disciple, invests in a different era and so he looks at different things than Graham to identify mispricing.

My Tesla investment thesis borrows a lot from Graham's wisdom, but I don't know for sure that I'm doing more than speculating (as Graham defines that term). I think that I am investing rather than speculating, but I am not certain. Most of the value in Tesla is in year 10+, and it seems questionable that anybody, even Musk, can really understand the business that far ahead.