Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worth remembering that a $12 'sell-off' is well less than 0.8% these days. It's noise on a volatile stock.

Yes, $12 is a relatively small change nowadays. But as I recall past FOMO ramps before earnings moved in pretty much one direction. This one feels more uncertain. (Not for me, for the casual investor).

I guess what I'm trying to say is Mr. Market seems to be less confident about these results...which could be a good thing if those results turn out well!

Yesterday or Monday, someone posted in one of the threads about an ETF or fund that tracked the S&P but leaving out the low performing stocks. I made a note to myself to come back and research it, but didn't take the note of what the ticker was. D'oh. Now I can't find the post. Help please?

Not sure that's automatically a great idea. TSLA was an underperforming stock relative to the S&P for 2017, 2018 and most of 2019.

Yesterday or Monday, someone posted in one of the threads about an ETF or fund that tracked the S&P but leaving out the low performing stocks. I made a note to myself to come back and research it, but didn't take the note of what the ticker was. D'oh. Now I can't find the post. Help please?
The ticker you are looking for is: MS.....:D:D:D:D

Yes, $12 is a relatively small change nowadays. But as I recall past FOMO ramps before earnings moved in pretty much one direction. This one feels more uncertain. (Not for me, for the casual investor).

I guess what I'm trying to say is Mr. Market seems to be less confident about these results...which could be a good thing if those results turn out well!

I find it not so mystifying given that the stock is up 500pts since P&D. Easy to spook yourself into thinking that the news will be sold hard unless it is really good.

A thought experiment ... if 'everybody' thinks Tesla is going to knock it out of the park, and has known it for awhile, then doesn't it make sense that 'everybody' has already positioned themselves for Tesla to knock it out of the park?

And therefore, where will the buyers come from, when everybody has already positioned themselves for the big move upwards when earnings are announced?

The market being a future looking entity and all.

The insane short interest (by dollar amount, not float) indicates that many people aren't expecting it, and are willing to bet tens of billions to support their viewpoint.

What is it that they don't understand about the fact that Tesla has been competing directly with ICE cars the entire time? Are they that stupid? Consumers buy cars to get to work, to shop and to recreate, not to consume gas or electricity, that is just a symptom of getting the job done.

They see EVs as a segment like SUVs, B, C etc. They don't understand that Model 3 is against BMW 3 & Merc C, Zoe is against Yaris or whatever.

This.

It follows directly from their first principle. EVs suck and nobody wants one. Tesla makes EVs. Therefore, Teslas suck and nobody wants them. Only a short hop from there to demand problems, fwaud, bankwuptcy, Tesla-killers, etc. etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggr
I was surprised to learn how auto dealerships paid their mechanics. Not base pay but per service rate. No car to work on, no pay. I haven't gone out to verify but it was from one person who worked as one at an MB dealership. Curious how Tesla operates.
That is how it has always been. I've never known a mechanic that was paid different.
Mechanics LOVE it!
They have a book that tells them how many hours a particular job takes. if the mechanic can do it quicker he still gets paid the book amount. If he is slow, he still gets the book amount.
Good mechanics can make some good book. And it makes it easy on the shop. There isn't any, "Get back to work" crap.
I worked as a parts delivery boy back in 1975 for a highly regarded shop. I was paid $5/hr (big money for the job). The good mechanics got $40/hr (the owner charged $60/hr. Often my job was to take a mechanic out on the Interstate with his tools to a broken down semi. The rate doubled from the time we left the shop. Only those calls were done at an hourly wage. Double for even me.

OT
I've only seen "point clouds" used when the data is from lidar. Since Tesla doesn't use lidar, does this imply that Tesla is reverse engineering a 3D point cloud from multiple camera images all the time? I don't understand why Tesla would want to create a point cloud at all - it's more important to have actual objects, which Tesla recognizes since it has camera images with color and such (which lidar doesn't have). It seems to me backwards to create a point cloud - the lidar-heavy approaches have separate efforts to turn their point clouds into objects, efforts that Tesla shouldn't need.

Can you explain?
Object recognition is one thing, but object position determination is also required. The camera data generated point cloud is used to create the 3-D scene. The NN generates a point cloud that is self referential and self consistent which makes it self validating.
Karpathy had this in a couple talks.

skip to 2:19:00