Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d love to see Elon hire Jim Keller as a shared resource for Neuralink, Tesla, SpaceX AMD any thing Elon might have up his sleeve.

We watched Jim's interview with Lex Fridman back from 2/5/20 (someone here had recommended watching it back then). At the end he talks about Elon, and the last question that Lex poses to him is about happiness. Have to wonder if that got Jim thinking more about his life and the challenges he still wanted to be a part of and that reflection had him announcing leaving Intel four months later. His reason for leaving was for personal reasons which I guess could mean anything.

Here's the link to that interview. If you just want to jump to the Elon portions, Click on Youtube then click Show More under Lex's description of Jim's work and there's a clickable Outline that will jump to that portion of the video (or see below and click the link). It covers about the last half hour of the interview.

1:04:33 - Elon Musk and Tesla Autopilot 1:20:51 - Lessons from working with Elon Musk 1:28:33 - Existential threats from AI 1:32:38 - Happiness and the meaning of life

Haha see @Paul_SF was thinking about this the same time as I was.

Last edited:
so he admits he was wrong and then doubles down on his original point of view.

wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

do these clowns even realize how shallow, stupid, and transparent their agenda is? or are they so saturated from stewing in their own bullshit they actually believe it?

no accountability or original thought in little boy charlie. dad, uncle jim, and fellow crony sonnenfeld must be proud
Got to be brutal though, if he were to think about it.

He’s been covering this for how long? Maybe he even reads or gets echoes from this thread. We are crowing and guffawing about gains, while he’s basically saying he has to continue to shovel the same excrement for someone else for his nickel.

Imagine if he thought about what he could have done differently or could do going forward.

"Character is destiny." - Heraclitus ~500 B.C.

so he admits he was wrong and then doubles down on his original point of view.

wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

do these clowns even realize how shallow, stupid, and transparent their agenda is? or are they so saturated from stewing in their own bullshit they actually believe it?

no accountability or original thought in little boy charlie. dad, uncle jim, and fellow crony sonnenfeld must be proud
Got to be brutal though, if he were to think about it.

He’s been covering this for how long? Maybe he even reads or gets echoes from this thread. We are crowing and guffawing about gains, while he’s basically saying he has to continue to shovel the same excrement for someone else for his nickel.

Imagine if he thought about what he could have done differently or could do going forward.

"Character is destiny." - Heraclitus ~500 B.C.

CNBC - year ago with TSLA at $228:

So what's with Zach saying they should achieve "industry-leading" double-digit margin and Elon saying they're targeting maximal sales growth while preserving a 1% margin? Is there really that much of a gap between Elon's personal opinion and the company's position?

That was the one odd thing that really stood out to me on the call.

Elon seemed to stumble over that, if you have ever talked to him in person you can tell he was almost going in a up and down loop. Makes one wonder who was being honest. Not the normal Elon jitter. Not going to read into it too much as he tends to do engineer type stumbling at times but he needs to stop that kind of poor communication. That type of jitter tends to trickle down, up and sideways and it's not helpful.

Elon has stated before about the fact that there is a version of FSD very much farther along than the production version we use or the beta versions that we see pop up from time to time......but it was nice to hear him repeat, with probably more clarity that ever before, that he actively uses a much more advanced version of FSD and that's the reason he's so confident in FSD being feature complete this year(though my expectation is early to mid 2021).

It's crazy to hear people or even some tesla investors talk about their frustrations with FSD progress by continually using the production version of FSD that's out there today as an indicator of progress. FSD continues to be something that could one day hit feature completely out of nowhere and release to the public and cause a near instantaneous 50-100% gain in the stock.........yes....even at at $2,000 share price.

really felt like because Tesla is now s&p500 eligible that Tesla could breathe a sigh of relief, and Elon could speak much more freely than in the past.

I look at regulatory credits as being part of the rules, and a company would be stupid not to take advantage of those rules. To me, complaining about it is like complaining that Team A beat Team B in basketball because they made more free throws so that somehow cheapens the win.
Yes, but I’d go further than that. Some rules are anachronistic loopholes. Not the credits. They are a sign of the times; a harbinger of the future.

If anything, the rules that all automakers must play by will likely get stacked even more in Tesla’s favor in the coming years, because every country wants to wean itself off petrol as quickly as possible.

The one thing that makes me the most bullish about TSLA is that the company is skating precisely to where the puck is going.

I believe Zach made the comment that 40% of the AR was related to regulatory credits during the conference call. I think he was trying to dispel some of the questions and myths around the high AR.

Zach is an amazing CFO. I think that a large part of TSLA's current stock price can be attributed to Tesla's new IR stance and the fancy new earnings reports.

TSLA has gone from $200 to $1,600 since:
  • Tesla started to disclose less public information
  • Under promise and over delivering became the norm
  • The earnings letter revamp in Q3'19
  • Zach has started to provide better information around naysayer talking points like the AR.
Of course Tesla has also delivered strong results over the same time period, but I think the effect of the way in which these results have been communicated to investors should not be underestimated.

Last edited: