Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a good slogan for the brand, but what we're looking for right now is a way to update the commonly used metaphor "firing on all cylinders".

Steam engines used coal fires, steam-driven pistons and cylinders ever since James Watt's patent in 1769. That's over 250 years ago now! Like the nautical terms that have crept into our language, I'm sure that usage is here to stay, but I think it's also the wrong metaphor for EVs, which have no steam, no pistons, no cylinders, and hopefully no fires (certainly no intentional ones!)

Is there some commonly-known invention from the past that we can pull forward to the present to power our new metaphor? It would be great if Nickela Tesla himself had an idea we could update or adapt for use in the modern era of EVs.

Cheers!

The nerd in me want the phrase to be:
"Pulling on All Poles"
An electric motor has multiple poles which are pulled by magnetic forces. Accurate phrase, but not familiar enough to catch on with the general public.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
its just staggering that this gets disagrees. I worry that people buy stock and sell stock without having any idea how stocks work, or even what they are, or even very very very basic economic theory.
I own a company outright (video games!). It pays me dividends, which I live off. I could choose not to pay the dividend this year, and reinvest all that money to grow the company, but why? why bother? whats the point?

The POINT is clearly to increase future profitability so that I can earn MORE dividends later. (even if thats 10,20,30 years from now).
If you *really* think that your stocks have the same (or even greater) worth if they NEVER pay dividedns, I'll give you $0.01 for the perpetual dividend rights to your stocks. PM me to set it up.

For everyone bragging about how amazons stock has gone up...yay great. Thats so they can dominate the market even more and thus pay whacking phat dividends later. You REALLY think that in 2060 amzn will not have returned a penny in dividends to its stockholders?

I’ve said it once, and will say it again. GLD. Or SLV. Or even investment grade art. All 0% yield, yet increasing in value.

The value of something is what you can sell it for, not what its yield is. The reason why an asset that never pays dividends has value is because the owner(s) *could* sell that asset. Actually selling it or dispersing the value is not necessary for its value to increase.

Yeah, nobody uses sailing analogies when referring to Tesla, yet the Governor of Texas used the phrase "hitting on all cylinders". He lacks an appropriate metaphor, imbued with the appropriate vision of the future of Tesla:

"No fire, No cylinders. Ludicrous Speed."

Cheers!
Ripping Torque. (Extracting moment from the magnetic field)

or Ripping Tau.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The value of something is what you can sell it for, not what its yield is.

We all know this. What we are arguing about is WHY tesla stock is worth anything. If people wont accept that the value of ANY stock is eventually determined by its future dividend returns, even if thats not going to start for a billion years, then they have no clue whatsoever what they are doing.

Tesla will end up paying dividends. It might even be after musk has died on mars, but it will happen.
Why cant people accept that this is fundamentally and clearly true, even if we do NOT want tesla to prioritize dividends yet. Even apple and microsoft pay dividends.

We all know this. What we are arguing about is WHY tesla stock is worth anything. If people wont accept that the value of ANY stock is eventually determined by its future dividend returns, even if thats not going to start for a billion years, then they have no clue whatsoever what they are doing.

Tesla will end up paying dividends. It might even be after musk has died on mars, but it will happen.
Why cant people accept that this is fundamentally and clearly true, even if we do NOT want tesla to prioritize dividends yet. Even apple and microsoft pay dividends.

Explain why GLD or SLV has value when they pay 0% dividends. Even after a billion years.

I once received a jury summons letter that asked me if I understood the English Language. I checked No.

Then they wanted an explanation.. So I wrote a paragraph about how convoluted and non-logical the English language was and how I doubted even those with PHDs in english really understood the language.

The next time I received a jury form the question had been changed to do I consider myself fluent in the english language.

If a wooden box is a box made out of wood and a wood box is a box to hold wood, what is a cardboard box? And shouldn't it be a cardboarden box?

Wood would, wouldn't wood?

Do the index funds have a way to accumulate shares before they "Have to?"

Whether or not an index tracker can buy shares in anticipation of inclusion is up to the individual fund, based on its own constitution. Here is an extract from the Charles Schwab S&P500 Index Fund prospectus:

"The fund may sell securities that are represented in the index in anticipation of their removal from the index, or buy securities that are not yet represented in the index in anticipation of their addition to the index."

because the goal of Tesla is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. Not to please investors, yet.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I’ve said it once, and will say it again. GLD. Or SLV. Or even investment grade art. All 0% yield, yet increasing in value.

The value of something is what you can sell it for, not what its yield is. The reason why an asset that never pays dividends has value is because the owner(s) *could* sell that asset. Actually selling it or dispersing the value is not necessary for its value to increase.
Anyone who has bought and sold unimproved real estate should understand that. Of course that involves negative carry value because of taxes and opportunity cost. Sure, many valid analogies. The only easy way to extract current yield from a non-dividend paying stock is to engage in securities lending. Hence, more active the volatility tends to be for non-dividend paying stocks.

As with every simplistic explanation, that is not always true.

TSLA is unusual in so many ways that it is easy to dismiss it as a ‘story’ stock, easy to suggest profits derive only from subsidies, and there is minimal intrinsic demand. Those three points are so obviously easy to make that many investors accept them as fact.

As many of us know the truth in TSLA is only obvious if one does a great deal of investigation. Hampering that is the quite unusual business model that makes otherwise competent auto industry analysts miss the essential points;
-direct sales,
-high vertical integration,
- selling ‘fuel’,
- Absence of mandatory periodic service,
- over-the-air updates,
- true continuous product improvement without model years,
-Tesla Energy.

when all those divergences from the norm also pay zero dividends why are we surprised at high volatility driven by short selling.

FWIW, S&P inclusion does not change these facts. After all securities lending is highly lucrative as are options. The industry thrives on volatility.

Those of us who are true longs (buying, holding, eschewing securities lending) must be willing to endure wild swings in price. The value remains solid and growing, in our opinions.

Why are we discussing Dividends? Is it because the SP did not go up as planned?

Once growth phase (many more years) is over, and there is excess $$ in hand, and most of the shares are owned by the Index Funds, Teslas mission will be realized and dividends will be fruitful.

Imagine having bought TSLA in 2013 at < 30$, TSLA growing to 3000$+ and then you are getting say 3$ per year, i.e 10% ROI on your initial investment. I look forward to this day. cheers!!

Last edited:
@FrankSG Thank you for your reply. I must have conveyed this earlier, hearty congratulations on your achievement, to-INSEAD-and-Singapore. Also, a fan of your blog.

The amount is significant.
I am wondering if there are possible hedges that can reduce the losses, covered calls (a big no no in TSLA community) against the shares I own don't make sense given the low premium now, maybe some other option strategy?

FWIW, here are the positions
View attachment 569113

Let it Roll, Baby Roll ... (i.e Roll positions to further out prices).

Cut losses and buy time. Live to Fight another day.
e.g. Jun 22 3500 were @ 330$+ ( I sold couple of these), now they are in $150-160$ range. This should be the same whether you choose LEAPS or strikes further out like Oct, Jan.

Those against CC's, likely also against short term lotto Calls.

Short term weeklies are for day trading/speculating. cheers!!

Last edited:

I don’t think anyone doesn’t think that eventually, TSLA will pay dividends.
The reason for the disagree’s (at least mine), is your insistence that a stock that doesn’t ever have a dividend is “worthless”.
15%-20% of the S&P500 don’t pay dividends.

Dividend investing is wonderful. I personally love it and use it extensively. I think it is the best way to go.
That doesn’t mean that a company that has no plans to pay dividends has zero value. It has the value the market assigns to it.
And if that value increases year over year, it is an appreciating value, wether it pays a dividend or not.

You are under-estimating the manufacturing revolution that’s a CyberTruck.

It is a perfect example for what Elon said, manufacturing improvements starts with car design.

CT factory would do laser cutting then bending and welding of steel sheet, with very little stamping, probably some casting, but no paint shop is needed.

I bet it would be much easier to design and build a new CT factory than duplicate a ModelY factory.
(Assuming the drivetrain is plaid and would be done this year at somewhere else)

No, I’m not. This is my area of knowledge and I’ve been researching a bit on how it could be done.

It is not easier or even necessarily faster to laser cut, bend bulletproof stainless steel from a huge, heavy sheet into a vehicle body and just weld other parts to it than to stamp body panels and assemble the old fashion way.

The laser cutting machineS and bending machinesS/brakes pressES will have to be specially designed/adapted, robotS programmed, new racking designed and developed, new end of arm tooling designed and developed and several other things.

Never mind that the stainless steel is not an ‘off the shelf’ metal produced in large quantities as required for volume vehicle production. This basically means you have to find someone to add to/start a new business to make massive quantities of a new material (or do it themselves - *insert maniacal laugh*).

Never mind that any welding creates burn marks, some of which are highly likely to show on the exterior (ie, door seams) so now instead of painting you have to have some kind of ‘cleaning’ process (sand blasting? polishing?) to be done unless you’re going to leave it (for the OCD among us to complain).

All processes for this vehicle have never been done before. That means trial and error, time and money inefficiencies, mega multiple iterations and so on.

A body panel takes seconds to produce from coil to final piece. I guarantee the main truck panel will take minutes to produce. And they still have to produce the doors, tailgate and other individual parts. Those parts can’t be stamped because the material they’re intending to use is too hard and will wear out/break dies sets. Laser cutting a blank takes A LOT longer than stamping a blank.

Where time can be saved is ‘I think’ on assembly - eventually. But there isn’t enough information available yet to determine that. I’ve got a lot of ‘inside the panels’ questions.

I’m confident in the end they’ll revolutionize the whole process but they are quite literally starting from ‘I have an idea’ and not from ‘Let’s make a few changes to make this process better’.

Mark my words, we’ll be hearing about how hard it was to make CYBRTRCK in a future earnings call.

I don’t think anyone doesn’t think that eventually, TSLA will pay dividends.
The reason for the disagree’s (at least mine), is your insistence that a stock that doesn’t ever have a dividend is “worthless”.
15%-20% of the S&P500 don’t pay dividends.

YET. you are forgetting the word YET.
And yes, there are definitely people on this forum who insist that tesla should never pay dividends and never will. its insane.

Reactions: replicant
Explain why GLD or SLV has value when they pay 0% dividends. Even after a billion years.

You do realize those are physical commodities that are used in electronics, jewellery, and other cases right? They have physical utility. My tesla stock isnt even printed on sheets of paper. its just a database entry.

If gold looked like dirt and had no physical uses at all, then yup, it would be worth sod all.