Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same rules as in Norway then. The weight of the Cybertruck will be from 2267 to 2950kg. At least with the last config, it will be a stretch if people want to use it for what people normally use trucks for.

Also, there might be some issues with how the front is designed:
Tesla Cybertruck Not Street-Legal In EU

Anyhow, Tesla has a history of getting around issues like these:)

But there is no doubt that many people have ordered several to have the chance to choose when they know more.

Do you expect many European Cybertruck owners to have the need for carrying more than 550 kg of weight? (Note: I’m not a truck owner)

so if you need hot oil to break a seige then a Tesla is the wrong car?
Seige engines are mobile; that's your Tesla. Perimeter defences are fixed in place; they are your targets.

e0452840cdbfdefb37bfc2ae27f05edfaa978e89f22669dfe8e14df75273442b_1.jpg

"God fights on the side with the best artillery." ▬ Napoleon Bonaparte

This is not a problem for the Cybertruck.

There are many examples of the same car being registered with different max load so that people who don't need it can manage below 3500 kg and people who have the truck license and need to carry more load can have a max weight of ie 4500 kg. On the very same truck. Often with no modifications at all. Others may need heavier duty shock absorbers.

Best not to speculate about the rest of Europe, if it could have such huge implications for European demand. For all we know Norway may have unique regulations. In the EU you can drive huge vans, monstrous US trucks and even medium cargo trucks (up to 3500 kg) with a regular drivers license. I can drive the truck in the picture below with a regular license, wouldn’t I be allowed to drive a Cybertruck then?

View attachment 572229

Same rules as in Norway then. The weight of the Cybertruck will be from 2267 to 2950kg. At least with the last config, it will be a stretch if people want to use it for what people normally use trucks for.

Also, there might be some issues with how the front is designed:
Tesla Cybertruck Not Street-Legal In EU

Anyhow, Tesla has a history of getting around issues like these:)

But there is no doubt that many people have ordered several to have the chance to choose when they know more.

Do you expect many European Cybertruck owners to have the need for carrying more than 550 kg of weight? (Note: I’m not a truck owner)

Robyn was definitely great for some time, she was popping up quite often in interviews and features, but as of late haven't hear a peep from her? Strange.

She did a lengthy webinar in Sydney a couple of weeks back that I posted a link to on here, so she hasn't been completely quiet. It also appears shes been back in Australia during the recent covid period and may not have been able (or wanted) to get back to the States recently. I'm also curious if shes an Australian or Clalifornian resident for tax purposes as there would be a difference with her recent share sale.

Listened to the Automotive News podcast part 2.

Surprised people here are not talking about the southern paint shop, or is it already intensively discussed but I missed?

He mentioned they are almost done with bringing it online, afterwards the northern paint shop would be dedicated to 3&Y, southern would be doing S&X.

I am under the impression paint shop was one of the big bottlenecks in Fremont, wondering what it means to throughput once that’s lifted.

Regarding CyberTruck:
Q: What type of customer research did you do in developing the CyberTruck?
A: Oh, Zero! Customer Research? Ha.Ha.Ha...Ha...

While news titles I saw were like “Elon admits no customer research done for CyberTruck, and will do a normal truck if it flops.
o_O:confused::mad:

Listened to the Automotive News podcast part 2.

Surprised people here are not talking about the southern paint shop, or is it already intensively discussed but I missed?

He mentioned they are almost done with bringing it online, afterwards the northern paint shop would be dedicated to 3&Y, southern would be doing S&X.

I am under the impression paint shop was one of the big bottlenecks in Fremont, wondering what it means to throughput once that’s lifted.

TBH although the investor in me is happy about a reduced bottleneck allowing for greater production, I'd also like to think this allows them to put more effort into QA on the paint side, and take more care. No complaints with my 2015 model S, but TBH I do read a lot of genuine comments from people who notice problems with the paint finish on their teslas. These are still premium cars, and they should have sorted this by now.
As Tesla expands, fewer of its customers are early adopter fanboys and more of them are mainstream motorists who wont be happy with substandard paint on a car. Tesla have let Qa and customer service be below-par for a while.

OT Cybertruck before market opens:

Tax Deductions for Vehicles Over 6,000lbs » Taxhub.

The Model X also qualified for this.

Outside of the $25,000 allowed for Section 179 depreciation of vehicles over 6,000 pounds, the IRS also permits something known as bonus depreciation. Unlike Section 179, it only applies to assets that were purchased new. Anything that you buy used or pre-owned will not be eligible. Also, unlike most deductions, this one does not carry a dollar-based limit. On the contrary, you are eligible for a tax benefit amounting to 50% of the purchase price. If you buy a $100,000 truck, that means that $50,000 can be immediately expensed under bonus depreciation in the first year, so long as it was solely used for business.

It would seem that if Tesla is willing to include potential savings in fuel and tax credits on their web site, it would follow that this too should be mentioned for the unknowing.

Outside of the $25,000 allowed for Section 179 depreciation of vehicles over 6,000 pounds, the IRS also permits something known as bonus depreciation. Unlike Section 179, it only applies to assets that were purchased new. Anything that you buy used or pre-owned will not be eligible. Also, unlike most deductions, this one does not carry a dollar-based limit. On the contrary, you are eligible for a tax benefit amounting to 50% of the purchase price. If you buy a $100,000 truck, that means that $50,000 can be immediately expensed under bonus depreciation in the first year, so long as it was solely used for business.

It would seem that if Tesla is willing to include potential savings in fuel and tax credits on their web site, it would follow that this too should be mentioned for the unknowing.

Even better, post 2017 in the US, you can get a 100% tax deduction the first year on an X with 100% business use. (Catch: need >50% business use first five years, and recapture on final disposition)
Model X IRS 100% Deduction “Hummer Loophole” - 2018 Edition

I have never wanted to censor a single person but I would dearly love if this board had the ability to allow group censoring. It would go something like this...
Along with the list of choices like giving a thumbs up to a post there should/could be a "Hammer" symbol. And each reader could hit the hammer if the post was OT.
After 10 hammers the content of the post is not shown to the reader. If a reader values what the member usually posts then they have the option to click within the post itself and expand it so they may read it. After 20 hammers it disappears completely.
haha you can't hammer this post...yet
Check out my post from a couple of years ago.. pretty much the exact same idea.
TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable
PLEASE NO MORE NIKOLA DISCUSSIONS HERE

Reactions: lafrisbee
OT flashbacks

Baud is bits (sort of), not bytes, need to multiply 12.8k by 8 which yeids ~100k baud.

Went through this type of senario in a previous life...

Indeed...

And while it's before market open... to expand on ths OT "sort of" that @mongo refers to , baud is actually the modulation (or symbol) rate. Early on, symbol rate = bit-rate, the the two came to be used interchangeably.

As manufactures employed more tricks to increase the bits that could be communicated per symbol, the bit-rate increased even though the baud rate didn't.

XMODEM!

A lot of sham businesses were set up when the H2 came out, to claim that tax benefit, but Tesla should not advertise based on that - the $7500 EV tax credit was available to anyone that had enough tax liability (and, for those who didn't have enough tax liability, they could at least claim part of it), the Section 179 tax benefit is only available for business use and requires business accounting to claim it.