Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="BlackS, post: 4908689, member: 72376"]View attachment 575457[/QUOTE]

If that PT had been $2100 he would have nailed it.

I did sell shares that I acquired since Friday. Too much margin for my comfort. It would have been more comfortable if I’d sold them at the end of the day. Something something something time the market. Can’t complain, I did squeeze out a little profit.

(Someone asked about everyone doing stuff besides shares. Not me. Can’t do option and Leaps are already beyond my comfort zone).

I should have.. but the burst to 79k lasted 10 minutes after which it was "only" 39k.. so.. greed.. :-/

The hardest part about call options is knowing when to take profits, and windows to do so often are extremely fleeting since the swings are large. You could be up 50K and few minutes later only up 10K. That feels like a 40k loss so you hang on. And maybe lose the rest.

If you play them conservatively, selling with 20-50% gains, the money left on the table can be staggering.

I’m seeing my short-term dated options through Battery Day and trying to resist any temptations to swing them in the very short-term (the caveat to this was yesterday when I absolutely knew to buy more but was fully in and didn’t want to touch margin).

Like many, I’m hoping to convert fully to shares for two decades. The stress when options amount to more than a bit of play money is far too great.

Greed seems to be the downfall of us humans. Hope those options go back to $79k and higher!

..they expired last week unfortunately
Rolled while they still had some value, to this friday and next. However, sold when those tripled today.m way to early. :p could have been back to $40k if I had held a few hours longer. Now I have $5k in cash.

Options are tricky.. either I hold way too long, or not long enough..

When was the last time we had a chart that looked like this? No downward pressure at all, just a steady rise.

I feel like you’d have the answer at your fingertips, which is why I ask rather than doing the work.
03-19-20 was the highest intraday gain (+26.1%) since Oct 23, 2019 (Q3 results). Today's just 16th place in rank order (and falling with the current short effort). It just feels good today because the absolute gains are staggering.

TSLA.chart.2020-03-19.png

July 13, 2020 was a good day too at +22.0% intraday, but you already know how shortzes peed in the pool that day. ;)

Today's been good, but the shortzes have already whacked $50 off the intraday gains and are likely to keep trying right into the Close. It's what they do.

Cheers!

re: SIPP and ISA - I'm just concerned over any US withholding tax. I've got the same type of accounts - feel free to private message me. I'll post anything I get.

I just have a UK share account; I asked my broker what would happen. Answer: from 31st August the new (presumably about 20% of current) share price would be in effect. The new shares to be added to the portfolio are expected on or around 3rd September. Between 31st August and when the new shares are added the portfolio would look like it had declined by 80% in value, and if I wanted to sell shares I could only sell those existing 20% of the total that I had at that point until the other 80% new ones were added. Seemed clear.

I just have a UK share account; I asked my broker what would happen. Answer: from 31st August the new (presumably about 20% of current) share price would be in effect. The new shares to be added to the portfolio are expected on or around 3rd September. Between 31st August and when the new shares are added the portfolio would look like it had declined by 80% in value, and if I wanted to sell shares I could only sell those existing 20% of the total that I had at that point until the other 80% new ones were added. Seemed clear.

Hargreaves Lansdown? I just received a message from them confirming this as well.

That's quite a delay - probably due to the stock being a NASDAQ stock held in a UK account.