Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy's fractured. I don't like how he seems anti-Tesla. The guy is just a broken person. He isn't even an ant in an ant farm. He sees the world as completely broken. I have a hard time with it as well. He rambles on about people on his street not having indoor plumbing like it is a world problem instead of a personal problem.
PS It is odd how I refer to feeling like I am in an ant farm while inside this forum and he is sitting in an apiary.

The hardest part about call options is knowing when to take profits, and windows to do so often are extremely fleeting since the swings are large. You could be up 50K and few minutes later only up 10K. That feels like a 40k loss so you hang on. And maybe lose the rest.

If you play them conservatively, selling with 20-50% gains, the money left on the table can be staggering.

I’m seeing my short-term dated options through Battery Day and trying to resist any temptations to swing them in the very short-term (the caveat to this was yesterday when I absolutely knew to buy more but was fully in and didn’t want to touch margin).

Like many, I’m hoping to convert fully to shares for two decades. The stress when options amount to more than a bit of play money is far too great.
This! I've done amazingly well overall, apparently on par with the many of you whom I consider experts and knowing elders despite having left on the table almost the full value of my brokerage account -not taking winnings- more than once.

You mention "short-term dated options"; I know what my conservative idea of "short-term dated" is; I talk to a few successful friends and know their conservative ideas... but gathering from this forum over time I get that many of your ideas of acceptably safe buffered expiration dated options (pardon my poor terminology) would leave me starting awake puking in my sleep many nights. And I don't even want to think about the margin use I hear about from some of you. Here's hoping for another -perhaps S&P- boost shortly so I can make up for a bit, perhaps trading some of my options up to later expiration dates, and maybe turning some of them into more long term HODLing shares.

The real downside nobody is talking about here is that this meme will be less impressive soon.
Still good though. Sorry I have nothing of value to add, kinda like a split but it's gonna go up anyways :) there should be a reversal right about now off the lower BB ( SP 1537 as of posting)
View attachment 575474
4b9arp.jpg

I just have a UK share account; I asked my broker what would happen. Answer: from 31st August the new (presumably about 20% of current) share price would be in effect. The new shares to be added to the portfolio are expected on or around 3rd September. Between 31st August and when the new shares are added the portfolio would look like it had declined by 80% in value, and if I wanted to sell shares I could only sell those existing 20% of the total that I had at that point until the other 80% new ones were added. Seemed clear.

Did he suggest there were any tax considerations at all?

28 pages since my last TMC visit. Did I miss anything? Debate over about stock split implications...Dividend vs split?

BTW: Congrats longs......I was busy all day moving CCs up and out and buying back sold 1375 puts...Thank you EM.

I wrote to Martin Viecha, Head of IR who confirmed quickly that the stock split as a dividend is his words "of course not" a taxable event and added the below link.

Stocks (Options, Splits, Traders) 7 | Internal Revenue Service

You can, of course, argue taxes in the US are different from Germany which is true but international agreements try to cover those kinds of situations usually. Luckily the majority of my stocks are in a depot in the US therefore I hope to be fine in any case.

Here is another media statement about the Tesla stock split dividend taxation in Germany that makes it clear that no taxes have to be paid but for liability reasons, some depots may keep the tax until a letter from BMF (finance ministry) has been received clearing the situation. That would be quite a big deal as they deduct the amount from your account until the letter is received which can be high volumes and would for most create interest costs..

They write its up to the depot if they keep it and once the letter is received pay it back or from start don't consider it as a taxable event and wait what the BMF said.

It's hard to imagine though that any depot does that since it's not disputed that without any gain you won't be taxed. It can't be ruled out to happen though.

Tesla-Aktie mit Split: Wer profitiert, was steuerlich wichtig ist - 12.08.20 - BÖRSE ONLINE

For all German Stockholders, we have conflicting information if the "stock split" is a true dividend and needs to be in Germany taxed or not.

I am in touch with Martin who works on it to get this confirmed after his initial reply that I posted above. From his point of view, it does not make sense which I agree to but German Tax authorities have done in the past quite often something that falls in that category. If confirmed that would be quite devastating for all Germans who own TSLA.

I keep you posted.