Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at all this artificial capping going on....man let my people...er Sp go!

This is what We want!

arnold.gif

It’s extremely common to be taxed on “deemed” transactions in Canada and Europe. In other words, to owe tax when you don’t even have the capital to pay for that tax.

One very common example is when someone tries to break residency in their home country. You get taxed on the fair market value of nearly everything you own on date of termination of residency, because of a deemed disposition, whether the asset is liquid or not. Several founders have been devastated by that when leaving Canada to say go to Silicon Valley. They are on the hook for tax on their private company, illiquid shareholdings and there are not any real relief provisions absent you giving up the shares of your business before you leave.

As for this idea to use common sense, as a tax professional, common sense is that unless there are SPECIFIC provisions that say so, EVERY transaction is a taxable event. Stock dividends (whether as part of a split or not) are an acquisition of a new asset, and on paper, represent a conferral of a benefit to a shareholder. That would generally be a taxable event.

Fortunately, Canada has specific interpretations that seem to give us some relief in a split scenario. Absent that, we would have been deemed to acquire 4 new shares at their fair market value (not at 0.01, but at closing prices on 28/5), and we would not be deemed to dispose of our 1 share to offset the inclusion.

I can’t say that all our European friends will be in the same boat. So, I would suggest avoiding the generalities. Tax isn’t common sense. Tax codes in Europe were written centuries before those in the US (and are not modernized). US is actually one of the “younger” tax codes, and is one that is structured extremely differently than most other countries.
While I marked that post as helpful, even more helpful would have been to see it before going to bed, or before posting the one you replied to. That would have saved so many innocent electrons. :p

For those of us who are obsessed with the number of zeros, I just added one. For fairness I must thank Kamala Harris. In her honor my spouse and I are making Masala Dosa, which we learned to do in Chennai, the original city of her mother IIRC. For the market reactions of the last few weeks I am rather nonplussed. This all seems irrational unless everyone is betting on a change towards dispassionate and prudent financial management, political relationships and the advent of some of those Covid-19 vaccines.

For all we discuss the strong outlook for TSLA all this must be related to rising expectations for several simultaneous virtuous developments.
Is there any other reasonable justification?