Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
weekend OT

Omg, another Tesla killer is coming

Home

Oh dear ..

Hmmm, a 1000kg Bugatti-lookalike HFC car with 1000bhp 4WD, active aero body sections that double up as solar panels and supercapacitors that don’t overheat during sustained track work? .. Gullible investors step this way.

Hyperion might be the vapour-ware car division of NKLA.

More quantum-physics defying garbage claims can be seen here:-
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hyperion-xp-1-hydrogen-powered-supercar-revealed

Name ANY solar company that has a x7 increase in share price in 4 years.
Name ANY auto company that has a x7 increase in share price in 4 years.
Name ANY battery company that has a x7 increase in share price in 4 years.

It is not possible to have done better. Any suggestion or guess work as to the what ifs can not be proven in court. I would argue that without those Solar City engineers Tesla would have gone bankrupt. Conjecture works both ways. Then the worth is exactly what those Union plaintiffs wanted it to be. ZERO, and they would have won their real position.

In 5 years we will most likely be at a 10x return.

You asked, so.........SolarEdge (SEDG) increased from about $26 dollars in August 2016 to $219 in August 2020 (about 8.4x). I didn't buy until March 2019, but have made a nice gain of 413% (was actually at 420% for a while a couple of days ago!!).

To be clear, I think the lawsuit is total BS. I completely supported Tesla's acquisition of Solar City and I think it will reap huge rewards in the years to come. Development of the solar side of the business was definitely hindered for a couple of years or so when all resources were put into Model 3 during 'production hell'.......but I think we'll start to see much more growth in that side of the business soon.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, I'm just sticking to the facts. Tesla shareholders are suing because they thought the Solar City merger hurt Tesla and should have never happened, which even Elon admits that it did hurt Tesla:

View attachment 576479

I'm not saying that the suit has merit or should have been filed.
Musk Better Separate.png

I'm pretty sure the 'that' in line 10 is the model 3 ramp, which offset things at Tesla and Solar City by more than a year. He is saving the 3 launch was difficult, not the merger.

Had Tesla not purchased Solar City, assuming it stayed solvent, Solar City would have been free to execute during that year and a half time period. Instead, the focus was on the 3 launch/ramp.

SC did not cause the Model 3 problems, the Model 3 problem caused delays to everything in Tesla.

I think Elon is selling himself short with regard to hindsight. Purchasing Solar City and avoiding the Model 3 ramp issues would have been the best senario. (20/10 hindsight?)

Oh dear ..

Hmmm, a 1000kg Bugatti-lookalike HFC car with 1000bhp 4WD, active aero body sections that double up as solar panels and supercapacitors that don’t overheat during sustained track work? .. Gullible investors step this way.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hyperion-xp-1-hydrogen-powered-supercar-revealed

Predictably, the company is looking for someone to stump up the money to make this after they've spent the last 10 years burning through who knows how much VC cash.

"The company touts at least six rounds of venture capital investment, but won’t disclose how much money it has raised. Production on the XP-1 won’t start until 2022, at the earliest. In the meantime, Hyperion is looking for investors."

hyperion car: Hyperion says it’s developed a hydrogen-powered supercar, now it needs money - The Economic Times

You asked, so.........SolarEdge (SEDG) increased from about $26 dollars in August 2016 to $219 in August 2020 (about 8.4x). I didn't buy until March 2019, but have made a nice gain of 413% (was actually at 420% for a while a couple of days ago!!).

To be clear, I think the lawsuit is total BS. I completely supported Tesla's acquisition of Solar City and I think it will reap huge rewards in the years to come. Development of the solar side of the business was definitely hindered for a couple of years or so when all resources were put into Model 3 during 'production hell'.......but I think we'll start to see much more growth in that side of the business soon.

I voted against the Solar City acquisition and feel it was dilutive to Tesla's value as well as disruptive to Tesla's execution on its own business. The roof tiles Elon showed on the movie set were apparently fake and not operational. Tesla had to lay off a large number of Solar City workers, stopped a number of the businesses that generated cash flow, and it seemed as if they really did have to start over with the solar roof tile technology post-merger, which is part of the reason everything took so long.

Tesla should have let Solar City gone bankrupt and then buy up any worthwhile assets for pennies on the dollar, and hire the good people who become unemployed. Frankly,my view is that Tesla paid too much for the company.

Musk didn't want to let Solar City go bankrupt, as that would be a bad look for him personally. Maybe more critically, Space-X had bought hundreds of millions of Solar City bonds (Elon Musk's SpaceX will buy another $90 million in solar bonds from Solarcity (SCTY) - Electrek ), so if Solar City went under, Space-X might have ended up with worthless paper, which might have affected Space-X's ability to execute. Tesla closed the bonds early, including interest, but did so only after dong a capital raise itself (Tesla is discharging Solar Bonds early with interest, but converting Elon Musk's [updated] - Electrek ).

Those were tough times for Tesla, and for us as Tesla stockholders.

Unions are a real disappointment in the 21st Century. Reactionary, Luddite and corrupt. AND opposed to a renewable future. Cannot find anything good to say about them in the end. They need to reinvent or go away.
Just like most corporations, unions are in it to enrich the executives at the expense of the members/employees. It's mostly a choice between supporting the Mafia or greedy CEOs (of course there are exceptions in both cases, but it's true for the majority). Government is supposed to step in and prevent abuses, but because the government has been purchased by the corporations there's virtually no regulation.

Last edited:
Oh dear ..

Hyperion XP-1 hydrogen-powered supercar revealed | Autocar

Man, I'm seriously considering starting an EV startup.. just need some even way more crazy ideas. How about a floating one? Solves parking space problems since you can just leave it to float?
Could travel across water too. Lets utilize earths very strong magnetic field.
Funding secured.

More reason to be happy with Tesla stock :)

Bill and Melinda Gates-backed coronavirus vaccine maker soars in Wall Street debut - CNN

"
The race for a successful coronavirus vaccine is heating up in labs around the world — and on Wall Street. Germany's CureVac, a biotech with the backing of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, more than tripled in its first day of trading Friday.

CureVac priced its initial public offering at $16 a share. The stock soared nearly 250%, to just below $56, by the end of the day."

"CureVac also has another big name in its roster of partners: the firm is working on technology with Elon Musk's electric car giant Tesla (TSLA). The company has had a development and intellectual property agreement with Tesla since November 2015, according to its regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Musk tweeted last month that Tesla's German Grohmann division is helping build molecule printers for CureVac — a "side project" that may work with other drug companies."

Regarding battery day: basically, Tesla will be able to make batteries that are cheaper, last longer, and are physically smaller for the same energy content compared to anything else on the market. The obvious application is of course cars, but there is a huge additional market for such batteries. Think for example laptops, mobile phones, smartwatches. Of these, it is in smartwatches that the battery size and capacity is by far the most important factor.

Which could explain the hints that Tesla is getting into the smartwatch business - its much better battery, coupled with its proven software skills and UI experience could mean that it could in fact threaten the apple smartwatch.

Tesla is not the kind of company that would sell JUST batteries - it wants the high margin profits of the final product :) Thus it would not want to sell batteries if it can build the final product itself. So a Tesla watch seems reasonable indeed. Tesla laptops or tablets or smartphones do not seem realistic at this point - too much additional work required (although a Tesla smartphone could one day be competitive with not too much extra effort - perhaps after the successful introduction of the Tesla watch).

Man, I'm seriously considering starting an EV startup.. just need some even way more crazy ideas. How about a floating one? Solves parking space problems since you can just leave it to float?
Could travel across water too. Lets utilize earths very strong magnetic field.
Funding secured.

Well, if you incorporate the following tech you should be able to offer time displacement too.

• Informative
Reactions: Khamul
I voted against the Solar City acquisition and feel it was dilutive to Tesla's value as well as disruptive to Tesla's execution on its own business. The roof tiles Elon showed on the movie set were apparently fake and not operational. Tesla had to lay off a large number of Solar City workers, stopped a number of the businesses that generated cash flow, and it seemed as if they really did have to start over with the solar roof tile technology post-merger, which is part of the reason everything took so long.

Tesla should have let Solar City gone bankrupt and then buy up any worthwhile assets for pennies on the dollar, and hire the good people who become unemployed. Frankly,my view is that Tesla paid too much for the company.

Musk didn't want to let Solar City go bankrupt, as that would be a bad look for him personally. Maybe more critically, Space-X had bought hundreds of millions of Solar City bonds (Elon Musk's SpaceX will buy another $90 million in solar bonds from Solarcity (SCTY) - Electrek ), so if Solar City went under, Space-X might have ended up with worthless paper, which might have affected Space-X's ability to execute. Tesla closed the bonds early, including interest, but did so only after dong a capital raise itself (Tesla is discharging Solar Bonds early with interest, but converting Elon Musk's [updated] - Electrek ).

Those were tough times for Tesla, and for us as Tesla stockholders.
On the bright side, it gave many of us time to buy more shares the last 3 years, well after the model 3 execute risk was over.

Those of you with high price GTC sell orders to stop the shares from being lent out:

1) What price did you choose? LIkes $5,000? More/less?
2) ETrade doesn't do forever GTC. 30 or 90 days are default, but I can set something a year or more out. Thoughts?
3) Is this really worth the bother?

TIA!

i honestly don’t think this works. although i think i remember curt renz saying it does at his broker.

it doesnt at IB where i have mine. but i also don’t have any margin shares and i’m no longer in the fully paid lending program either, so i’m guaranteed not to be loaning anything out. not like it would make much of a difference with my measly amount..it’s a lot for me, but nothing that’s going to put a dent into the street.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I assign this to a hyper bull case, not because I doubt Tesla’s capability of doing it, only because it seems to not align well with the current mission.

It might happen when Tesla expand their mission again though, let’s see.

Have you ever seen Elon weigh-in on the cloud computing market in any manner or is this pure speculation? o_O

Reactions: SpaceCash