Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's shaping up to be good day here:D

About doing good with money.

There's a Swedish book about investing in cleantech which I usually come back to from time to time. It's called "Guld och gröna skogar" and in it there's a diagram that compares carbon footprint from different acts during ones working life. It assumes that you are a normal Swede with an average retirement plan and that the savings are invested in a low carbon global index fund instead of a normal global index fund. The diagram compares that simple act with eating more vegetarian, flying less, using public transport and reducing water consumption. This is the resulting reduction of your carbon footprint:
Screenshot_20200817-144748.png

Just switching index funds gives a 27x higher reduction compared to other acts. This is of course over simplified but it gives an indication of the amount of good money can make.

So if you really had an interest on this topic, I ran the numbers on how Elon came up with his 400 Wh/kg on the Electric Airplane thread, and if you are curious to see what kind of design compromises are required:
Electric planes

Look, I am Elon's #1 fan (on equal ranking with many others I suspect) and all I have been doing is clean sheet aircraft designs and out of the box thinking, which even got me fired from Textron at one point (pretty proud of that) because I was too disruptive.

Thank you for that reference. I will follow that thread.

I'm not challenging your bona fides, merely pointing out that you and Musk appear to disagree on this matter. This disagreement is of no consequence, because (a) Musk probably won't make such planes despite his obvious stated desire (planes are a crappy business); and (b) people disagree all the time without it ruffling any feathers.

Edit: To what do you attribute this difference of opinion?

Last edited: