Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please get clarification? I just talked a friend into ordering a white M3P with the rebate. If it gets denied, he's going to be quite unhappy with me.

He is ok. It does not include destination and delivery.

https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

* The MSRP cap of $55,000 refers to the final MSRP of the vehicle, which is set by the manufacturer, and
is intended to encompass the value of the vehicle itself, in full. The manufacturer’s MSRP typically
includes the costs associated with the trim level of the vehicle with all color options, wheel upgrades,
drive train or battery upgrades, and other packages, such as entertainment system upgrades. Costs not
generally included in the MSRP are: destination or delivery charges, sales and use taxes, additional
maintenance or repair packages purchased from the dealership or showroom, documentation fees,
registration fees, or add-ons which relate to the maintenance or operation of the vehicle, such as electric
vehicle charging packages, floor mats, first aid kits, cargo nets, etc. The Board reserves the right to seek
all available legal remedies if manufacturers adopt separate MSRPs for New Jersey that differ from the
MSRP associated with the same car in other states or otherwise attempt to circumvent the statutory
language.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Talking with friends and family about TSLA has been a master class in market psychology:
  • If TSLA was doing well I often got a "the money to be made in TSLA has already been made" excuse. They'd point to my own experience (Roadster more than paid for by TSLA, etc.) as "proof" the boat had left the dock.
  • If TSLA was not doing well I often got a "Tesla is far too risky a company" excuse. They'd point to whatever FUD was being promulgated in the media that week.

That might be a master class in 'I should disown my family and get new friends'. Maybe my family and friends thought the same but were too afraid to say anything to my face. *shrug*

Last edited:
Can you please get clarification? I just talked a friend into ordering a white M3P with the rebate. If it gets denied, he's going to be quite unhappy with me.

https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

upload_2020-8-17_17-49-9.png

Looks they will. This site was only recently launched with additional details.

Now the question is does FSD count as add-on like floor-mats?

I'm feeling a little light headed and my nose is starting to bleed. Is that normal?
It'll pass. I just bought TSLA 8 months ago. I used to feel quite nauseous when it went up, especially that first rocket ride to around $980 from in the $700's.
Today's a mild day. At least you can hang your hat on something causing it to rise this time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tslynk67
ok, I think "sacrifice" works.
Friday I sold 4% of my share at $1650 , tried to time the market and buy back some time later.
See what happens today.
So next time if you feel the SP is too high, try it.
This is what happened to me usually...
I bought some Tesla share, thought it won't be my core share and I would sell it once I earn some money. The SP went down or flat, for a couple months, and then went above bought price. Then I would thought: "Let it become long term so that less % tax".

But not this time when I bought these 4% shares at 1450 before 7/13.
Man, I thought that was god move, it went to $1794, then $16xx, and then $1369. That's why I couldn't hold anymore and sold at $1650.

This is the coolest feature of Excel and it's super easy. Just type the ticker symbol in a cell and change the data type to "stocks". It might even do it for you. Then it displays the stock price updated in near real-time. You can then use the charting functions to create customized charts that update in near real-time.
Is there a way to put the ticker in an apple or windows taskbar?

Has anyone else played golf at the lowest golf course in the world? (Possibly even the universe?)
4739815e7ffafc61ce905f2f352a391e.jpg
Not a golf player, but I did stay at a Death Valley hotel some years ago. In two cars, a family group was making a tour of scenery, and not wanting to miss the fabulous sunset at Painted Rock or whatever it's called, we got caught out in the sudden darkness and lost our way to the hotel. I drove the lead car, and knew it had to be quite close -- but was it to the left or to the right at the T junction? Stopped by the road side to confer with the others. Opened car door -- and STEPPED RIGHT INTO THE ONE, SINGULAR WATER PUDDLE IN THE ENTIRE f'n DESERT! !11 ! :mad:

Now you all know why I never play golf. There are water traps all over them courts. :eek:

(On the flip side, we went from a heavy snowfall in the early morning to scorching heat around lunch time, and I stood in a spot where (had I had eyes on both sides of my head) I could see -- at the same time -- the highest spot in the state AND the lowest spot on Earth. So there's that.)

PS The hotel must have been very nice, 110 or so years earlier. Plumbing was showing its age.

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal and CarlS
Everytime they say "diversification," I hear "diworsification." A Peter Lynch term.

To be fair to them, it's drilled into their heads in school and at their companies. The idea is that spreading your money across all investments is a safe way to grow them because as a whole the country's/world's economies are growing. That's why Warren Buffett says most people should just buy the S&P 500 and sit tight. But, that means you're always buying stuff that will go down.

What I don't like about it is that when you find those companies that will continue to experience rapid growth, you need to jump on them. Wasting an Amazon or Tesla at 3% of your portfolio is criminal.

But, what's really bad about this is that people who want to be risk adverse are actually taking on more risk than they have tolerance for. Like buying stock in the one company that's been in the S&P since 1896 - GE. Or someone I chatted with whose Mom is living off of dividends from oil & gas stocks. Now the dividends are reduced or gone and the stock prices are down a lot, so moving into other investments is difficult.

There are some fund managers that break this diversity mold. Renaissance Technologies & ARK Invest are two that come to mind (both have lots of TSLA right now).

The best argument against the need for portfolio diversification is to only pick winners.

They keep having to pay more for the shares, but unlike the VW situation, plenty of shares exist to buy

While saying "plenty of (TSLA) shares exist to buy" is technically true, it's necessary to realize that it takes more than for the shares to exist to be able to buy them. You also need a willing seller. For all practical purposes, shares owned by someone who is not willing to sell at current prices don't even exist at all from a buyers perspective until the price rises to the point that holder is willing to part with them. And one has to imagine, there are a certain number of shares locked away in various retirement, college education funds, etc. that are not available for sale, even if the price went to $3000.

But I don't want to get in a lengthy debate with you again about such absolute truths, just wanted to point out the fallacy implied.

While saying "plenty of (TSLA) shares exist to buy" is technically true, it's necessary to realize that it takes more than for the shares to exist to be able to buy them. You also need a willing seller. For all practical purposes, shares owned by someone who is not willing to sell at current prices don't even exist at all from a buyers perspective until the price rises to the point that holder is willing to part with them. And one has to imagine, there are a certain number of shares locked away in various retirement, college education funds, etc. that are not available for sale, even if the price went to $3000.

But I don't want to get in a lengthy debate with you again about such absolute truths, just wanted to point out the fallacy implied.

The fallacy seems to be your idea there's so many personally forever-held shares that it'd come remotely close to affecting shorts ability to cover.

Which is, of course, absolute nonsense.

One need just look at the short % and the # of shares that trade on a daily basis so see the fallacy of your suggested concerns.

So I agree there's really nothing to "debate" :)

I think 007 is fairly alone in expecting anything like the 5xSP in 2 days VW situation. He actually kinda got run out of this thread because he was a bit to bullish at times, and to bearish at other times, and too rude all the time.

The rest of us is fine with lets say a 50% SP squeeze over the next month driven by stock split, S&P inclusion, battery day and a few days after that delivery numbers for Q3 which will be a shock to most.

Absolutely, yeah... I actually quite like the timing of BD only about a week before the Q3 delivery numbers, should keep the "sell on the news" dip for BD at least somewhat in check...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I can crush that sob story.

I posted about this in this thread a while ago but here it is again: I was worried about the pandemic so I took profits and sold my entire TSLA holdings at ~$750, thinking I'd get back in at the dip. I got back in later, when it was obvious what an idiot I was, but I've lost out on ~$2.8M.

Remember how much $750/share seemed? Almost inconceivable. Unless you were following the story closely enough that you understood battery electric cars and energy storage will soon be bigger than most people understand. This is just the market catching up with that thinking.