Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4) Your 50X EBIT calculation relies on an EBIT that is not 2020 and not 2021. When will Berlin produce 750K vehicles in a year? When will Austin produce 1 million in a year? I agree that building these factories is great and necessary for Tesla to be on its 50% CAGR path, but if you're going to compare an EBIT multiple for other companies, you need to use the same year. You're not saying AAPL today is 32x 2023's EBIT.

Wasn't your main argument that Wall St. is short sighted? And that therefore it could dip, because it'll take the company's fundamentals more than Wall. St.'s short sighted 1-2 year investment horizon to catch up to the current SP of $2,000?

I'm pointing out that you don't have to look that far into the future (just a few years beyond these factories) to come up with a far higher price target than today's stock price. I think a 50x EBIT valuation is still more than fair for TSLA at that point in time considering it'll still have a lot of growth potential ahead of it, so I can use that 50x EBIT multiple to make up a "post-Shanghai/Berlin/Austin" price target for TSLA. Analysts usually discount these future valuations to some extent, which I did not do, but even after discounting that $4,600 to today, you should still end up with a price target well north of $2,000, even if you only look 3-4 years into the future.

5) You're right that FSD will open up a whole new tier for Tesla. But the regulatory approval you agree is needed is years out - more time than Tesla actually making it all work. I believe Elon when he says Tesla will get there, and I like what I've seen so far, but I also believe that FSD will happen in Elon years, as he himself has previously acknowledged on past promises achieved, just not on schedule.

I disagree with this very strongly. Tesla is gathering data at lightning pace:
  • For the sake of this example, assume Tesla creates safer than a human FSD in late 2022.
  • Tesla should have ~4M Hardware 2+ vehicles on the road at this point in time.
  • Let's say 25% of them have the FSD package, so 1M.
  • Let's say the average vehicles travels ~10k miles per year, so these vehicles will travel 10B miles total each year collectively, still under supervision.
After 1 year, Tesla now has 10B miles it can take to regulators. Provided this data confirms that Tesla's self-driving vehicles are indeed safer than a human by a significant margin, 10B miles will go a very long way towards convincing regulators. That should be in the ballpark of what will undeniably prove that Tesla's FSD system saves lives, and why wouldn't regulators approve something that saves lives?

This is imo Tesla's biggest advantage in the race towards a safer than a human, regulatory approved FSD system. It is the only company that has the ability to collect enough data to prove to regulators that their system saves lives.

6) I'm on-board with S&P 500 being a near-term stock price catalyst. Although this is such a widely held view that I have to believe that a not insignificant part of TSLA's rise is due to front-running that inclusion. So much so that I'm starting to wonder if there won't be lots of willing sellers who bought in simply to sell to the Index funds that need to wait and then need to buy quickly. But, that's a separate discussion.

I don't think so, but time will tell.

7) "comparing AMZN in 2000 and TSLA in 2020 is completely pointless, and TSLA's all time high still being around $2,000 in 10 years is so incredibly unlikely imo that I am betting against that happening with my entire net worth by being long TSLA."

It's not pointless. Like I said, history may not repeat, but it does rhyme. I'm not saying TSLA's ATH will be around $2K in 10 years. First, I expect TSLA to continue making new highs until S&P 500 inclusion is complete, and that could easily be $3,000. That said, I'm not expecting much from battery day, but that's dependent on whether Elon treats Battery Day as a technology demonstration (like he did Autonomy Day), or as a technology-drives-future-business demonstration, which is what the analysts are looking for.

Whatever the trigger, whether a macro-event or an execution blip (and TSLA has seen both so far, but before this kind of huge late 20th century Amazon-like run-up), it's possible that Mr. Market will do its normal panic thing and take profits, with stop-loss orders (which we've read that some people here have) triggering and domino-ing, and so TSLA's price could crash. And, like Amazon, Tesla the business would still continue to execute well overall, with the stock price needing something like FSD approval or Tesla Energy growth to be the equivalent of Amazon's AWS, which was needed for the company to re-take it's ATH out - and even that took more years.

And I freely admit it may not happen. I've expressed this as a concern since the beginning, not a certainty.

That so many people have reacted so strongly makes me feel like I've hit a hidden nerve that some may not want to admit. And remember that I'm not only an original Roadster owner, I've been HODLing TSLA longer continuously than most people here: since mid 2011. So, I'm not one to freak out and sell it all on a whim, and I've survived Rawlinson leaving and Model S battery impact fires and Model X delays and Model 3 delays and funding secured and 2019Q1 delivery drop-off and executive departures and everything else.

Agree with you on Battery Day.

Agree with you that if there's a serious drop, it'll be aggressive, but imo much more so due to delta hedging than due to a handful of stop losses.

Disagree with you on Tesla's fundamentals and valuation.

I also think we have different views of TSLA's stock price over the coming years. Obviously it's not going to 10x every 12 months. And I plan to severely deleverage soon and convert options to common stock, because I don't think the risk reward is there, and too much near term price appreciation is baked into options prices. However, I'd be surprised if it's under $2,000 12 and 24 months from now, and I believe it'll for the most part continue to slowly appreciate in value after it settles down a bit post S&P inclusion. I just don't know whether it will settle at $2,xxx, $3,xxx, or maybe even $4,xxx albeit quite unlikely.

Did some more fieldwork today. Below are flyovers of 47700 Kato, South Fremont Factory and North Fremont Factory (Gigacast). Seems that they're still installing the Gigacast machine. What a beast.....

View attachment 581155

Thanks for the fly over. After seeing the building in more detail the modifications look to be more dramatic than I thought on the initial video - the whole building looks like it is Swiss cheesed with conduits. This really does look like an experimental production line where they are cobbling together v0.9 rather than the organised construction seen at Gigas Shanghai and Berlin. I'm quite impressed with just how much they have to do in a month to be ready for battery day.
upload_2020-8-27_7-58-7.png

upload_2020-8-27_8-3-11.png

The third floor doesn't really give anything away
upload_2020-8-27_8-0-46.png

Impressive flying. This is a beautiful shot of the casting machine.

It seems the report of production start was false. This does not look like a machine that is in use.
upload_2020-8-27_8-14-6.png

upload_2020-8-27_8-18-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-27_8-13-15.png
    upload_2020-8-27_8-13-15.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • upload_2020-8-27_8-13-30.png
    upload_2020-8-27_8-13-30.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • upload_2020-8-27_8-17-30.png
    upload_2020-8-27_8-17-30.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Perhaps the FSD rewrite is at a phase where they require more data? That would be great news IMHO. If so, we'll see more evidence in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 581207
Yeah I’ve suspected this. It seems that my internet slows anytime after driving, last I checked the car took significant portion of bandwidth. I don’t know router set up well though

url

• Let's say 25% of them have the FSD package, so 1M.
  • Let's say the average vehicles travels ~10k miles per year, so these vehicles will travel 10B miles total each year collectively, still under supervision.

Why does it have to have the FSD package? Every car still has all the required HW to "work for the fleet" and gather data. Having FSD or not should not matter for this purpose. (Thinking "shadow mode").

A harbinger of things to come for Tesla?
Salesforce’s nearly 30% stock rally this week is a possible ‘nightmare’ scenario for the Dow committee

Of course, the S&P is market-cap weighted, not stock price weighted. But still, with Tesla's market cap appreciation so far this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the S&P committee is having some heated discussions right now.

Serves them right for being so insular and stuck in their ways. Anyone with two brain-cells to rub together could see this coming end of last year, the SPY Committee could have easily made an exception for $TSLA and brought it into the index beginning of the year.

Anyway, who says they will actually bring us in? Maybe they create a new rule specifically to omit Tesla.

Who needs the S&P500 anyway, come to think of it??

Definitely something to brag about on the trading part. Not a decamillionaire yet? Sounds like you cannot possibly be far off.

Unfortunately, my trading account only had $3500 in it as of this time last year... But OK, it's going in the right direction.

Some of you may remember when I vowed to make the mythical $1000 trade turn into $1m, well I lost the direct opportunity as the calls I bought last year for $1000 I stupidly sold for a measly 125x return, and if I had held they are currently worth $1.5m

However, with much blood, sweat, tears, stress, and heart palpitations, I'm edging closer to that $1m, basically starting from that one trade.

Perhaps the FSD rewrite is at a phase where they require more data? That would be great news IMHO. If so, we'll see more evidence in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 581207
I think require is the wrong word, I think can handle is more accurate. Elon said 3 orders of magnitude more efficient labelling. So in theory 3 orders of more data can be labelled and uploaded.

The month is coming to an end and my 20GB of cellular data for the month is not used up yet, maybe I will leave my phone in my car for the night so Tesla can get some of that data I think they have filled up my SSD with, been driving >2000km in August and not connected to wifi once... Tesla needs to get Starlink to their superchargers!

I don't think that situation is analogous to TSLA. I suspect AMZN crashed in 2000 not because the market realized its longterm potential was years away, but because the market feared Amazon would go bankrupt like many other dot-coms.

Careful! What happens with NKLA, NIO and the others looks to me like an EV bubble. The horrific idea that a rebadged and spun off GM electric division could raise billions of USD in no time, the fact that we all see these reverse merger/IPOs is very concerning to be quite frank.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think TSLA is a bubble and I think that many people still underestimate Tesla the company. But we are clearly in EV-bubble territory. Will I sell because of that? Of course not. Who knows how long/high this thing flies. But the EV sector deserves a correction / some realism. I mean if any guy with a twitter account can raise billions of USD based on an ever changing story about fuel cells and trucks - we are in crazy times.

The way I look at it is, that Mr. Market has clearly decided that EVs are the future (great!), doesn't really know where to put the money since all the legacy car makers are failing (problem...) and starts to fund fairy dust and unicorns now...(very bad idea!). And worst for Mr. Market is, that Tesla doesn't (currently) raise capital...

So if Tesla can keep the pace of growth it will absolutely dominate going forward and at the same time a lot of soldiers of fortune will lose money in other misguided EV ventures...

url

Why does it have to have the FSD package? Every car still has all the required HW to "work for the fleet" and gather data. Having FSD or not should not matter for this purpose. (Thinking "shadow mode").

We're talking about data used to convince regulators here, not to train the network. You're right that vehicles without the FSD package can gather data to train the network, but they won't be able to drive themselves and help prove to regulators that Tesla's FSD system, once completed, is safer than a human.

Someone on reddit claims battery day picture is about tabless
The Battery Day teaser is not silicon nanowires. It is a zoomed in view of the conductive elements in the tabless electrode patent. : teslamotors
Significantly reduced interal resistance because there are more pathways for the electrons to flow. This will lead to:
-Faster charging. Like 5x-20x faster! Holy *sugar*!
-Faster discharging. More horsepower out of smaller batteries!
-Less heat generated. Less cooling requirements!
The decreased resistance will also allow for much larger cells. This means much fewer cells. This will result in:
-Decreased cost to manufacture and assemble packs!
-Higher pack density!
-Simpler pack with faster assembly with fewer parts and fewer chances for defects.
The increased contact between the cap and current collector will also greatly increase the cooling capabilities.

With Elon saying it is not Amperius it is likely not silicon nanowires. So maybe Tabless it is?

Old video:

Would be good for Roadster, Plaid, Megacharger etc... The acceleration and charging speeds blows Elon’s mind. Maybe the reason why Supercharger v3 rollout is so slow, they are waiting for v4?
Twitter
upload_2020-8-27_10-17-46.png

• 600k Fremont (Includes S&X)
  • 500k Shanghai (Conservative. Can likely do more than 500k)
  • 750k Berlin (Could very well have higher than 750k eventual output)
  • 1M Austin (Likely a very conservative output number long term)
Edit: to be clear, these are what FrankSG is predicting as ultimate production capacity, not next years production.

My take on production next year is this:

Bear case (no increase in production)
  • 200k Shanghai
Assuming 570k production this year, this is a growth rate of 40%, about the historical average

Edit: most people seem to be predicting between 800k and 900k production next year

Base case
This assumes that production starts ~10 months after construction start, and that production ramp up is similar to MIC model 3.
  • 400k Shanghai (250k Model 3, 150k Model Y)
  • 150k Berlin (Model Y)
  • 100k Austin (Model Y)
Assuming 570k production this year, this is a growth rate of 120%

Bull case
Aggressive ramp up in all locations enabled by simpler production (e.g. casting) of Model 3/Y and model S/X refresh
  • 700k Fremont (Includes S&X) - further efficiencies due to simpler production process, plaid a success
  • 500k Shanghai (250k Model 3, 250k Model Y) - still ramping up to 750k per year total production
  • 250k Berlin (Model Y)
  • 250k Austin (200k Model Y, 50k Cybertruck )
Assuming 570k production this year, this is a growth rate of 200%

Hyper-Bull case
Aggressive ramp up in all locations enabled by simpler production (e.g. casting) of Model 3/Y and model S/X refresh
  • 750k Fremont (Includes S&X) - further efficiencies due to simpler production process, plaid a success (second shift)
  • 550k Shanghai (300k Model 3, 250k Model Y) - still ramping up to 750k per year total production
  • 350k Berlin (Model 3/Y) - phase 2 start soon for second production area (tree clearance September)
  • 400k Austin (280k Model Y, 100k Cybertruck, 20k semi ) - multiple production areas built over the next 10 months
  • 50k GF6 (ground breaking this year)
  • 50k GF7 (ground breaking this year)
Assuming 570k production this year, this is a growth rate of 277%

Edit: my prediction for next year is the base case, although I see considerable up-side. The hyper-bull case would probably need a major capital raise and perfect execution, so very unlikely.

Last edited: