Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$20 drop in premarket exactly when you posted this. Is this really seen as a negative by the market or just another fud attempt?
Who knows what is going on pre market but raising capital is exactly what Tesla should do with current valuation. Especially if the valuation can't be sustainable due to the theory flying around here of a naked short squeeze.

There is no set price for the shares. They are just authorized to print $5b worth of shares and sell them on the open market whenever they want
Oh, so this is different from when they did it at around $700 awhile back? Cause they did announce a price then and everyone could try to get in.

Edit: Just saw that they are to be sold "at-the-market"

To me no fixed price almost guarantees there's a S&P inclusion anyday now.

Last edited:
It would make sense that this is set up for TSLA to allow index funds in at a fixed price instead of just blowing the SP up. It will blow up anyway, but I guess shows good will to meet them part of the way?

Eh, what the hell do I know? I think Zoom is a bubble, but obviously I do not know much at all. Zoom should float 10B raise at a 300B market. It would gain another 200% overnight.

Imagine if SpaceX had been public the past year? What would have been going on with that ticker now?

From my TD feed: Shares of Tesla Inc. (TSLA) took a hit in premarket trading, but were still up 1.9%, after the electric vehicle maker disclosed a deal to sell up to $5 billion worth of its stock in an "at-the-market" offering program. Just before the offering was disclosed (Tesla's stock keeps rising, after soaring 74% in August for biggest monthly gain in 7 years), the stock was up as much as 7.9%. At Monday's closing price of $498.32, the program could represent up to 10 million shares, or about 1.1% of the shares outstanding. The "equity distribution agreement" was made with a host of Wall Street firms as sales agents, including Goldman Sachs, BofA Securities, Barclays, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank Securities, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, SG Americas, Wells Fargo and BNP Paribas. The sales agents will receive a commission of up to 0.5% of the proceeds. The stock has rocketed nearly fivefold (up 495.6%) year to date through Monday, while the S&P 500 has gained 8.3%.

From my TD feed: Shares of Tesla Inc. (TSLA) took a hit in premarket trading, but were still up 1.9%, after the electric vehicle maker disclosed a deal to sell up to $5 billion worth of its stock in an "at-the-market" offering program. Just before the offering was disclosed (Tesla's stock keeps rising, after soaring 74% in August for biggest monthly gain in 7 years), the stock was up as much as 7.9%. At Monday's closing price of $498.32, the program could represent up to 10 million shares, or about 1.1% of the shares outstanding. The "equity distribution agreement" was made with a host of Wall Street firms as sales agents, including Goldman Sachs, BofA Securities, Barclays, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank Securities, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, SG Americas, Wells Fargo and BNP Paribas. The sales agents will receive a commission of up to 0.5% of the proceeds. The stock has rocketed nearly fivefold (up 495.6%) year to date through Monday, while the S&P 500 has gained 8.3%.
Better raise price targets analyst so you can your boss can make a bigger commission.

Can someone please help me understand and find the hole in my logic on short-selling (not naked short-selling).

Before the split:
(A) buys 1 share in the market. Lends it to (B). (B) sells the share to (C) for cash (and hopes to re-buy later at a lower price).
(A) has 1 "synthetic" share; (C) has a real share.

After the split
(C) gets 4 additional shares.
(A) still has only 1 "synthetic" share but wants 4 more "synthetic" shares
(B) "makes profit" - yay - the one share owed is only 20% of the value - however, (B) also owes 4 more shares to (A) - to honour the split - so sadly "no profit". Normally that's not a big deal: shares are only 20% and you can buy the in the open market, right? - i.e. this is in theory a "neutral" situation. Unless you can't buy shares in the open market because all of a sudden there are so many shorted shares and the float is too little.

What we have right now might exactly NOT be naked short-selling but large scale short-selling and the effects of a significant reduction in float: the synthetic shares did not multiply, and of course people expect a settlement in shares not in USD. So if there are no naked shorts, this creates massive "ownership pressure" of shares which might contribute to the "buying pressure" we see right now.

Thoughts?

(A) still has only 1 "synthetic" share but wants 4 more "synthetic" shares

A is booked 4 extra shares as well (doesnt matter if bought on margin or not)
the loan to B is also increased to 5, as B i snow short 5

Reactions: SebastianR
A shower thought. A what-if.

If Tesla anounces their 1,60934 million km battery (in addition to their 1,60934 million km drivetrain), what if they would also warrant their vehicles for this amount of km or say, ten years. Together with a guaranteed buyback price above any current ICE vehicle (say degressive -15% per year and/or 25k km, so about 50% for 5 years and 125k km ) for use in their robotaxi fleet. This would make buying anything other than a Tesla financially insane for anyone who can count two and two together.

This is just a thought. Not even a back of the napkin math. So bear with me.

1) announce stock split
2) induce a naked short squeeze
3) announce a capital raise the day after
4) make your current shareholders Teslionaires in the process

Attachments

• E0E7696D-3FEC-4938-BBB5-720891980E6E.jpeg
    E0E7696D-3FEC-4938-BBB5-720891980E6E.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 87