Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if we were really seeing manipulation from Naked Short Selling, would this be happening in US accounts as well? I just read a half dozen pages in this thread, and ALL the complaints are from non-US broker accounts.

So, smells more like issues with handling foreign stocks than from brazen Naked Short Selling. But, heck, I know nothing.

View attachment 583221
Somebody took issue with LPL financial. That's in the US.

Several UK-based shareholders (including myself) have reported we can’t see the extra 4 shares for each one held pre-split in our accounts, and we’ve been informed we won’t receive these shares until later this week (my broker, specifically, mentioned Friday the 3rd as the earliest we’d be provided with these extra shares).
Which means that regardless of what the stock does these days, I can only buy more or sell a maximum of 20% of my actual TSLA holding at post-split share prices until Friday at the minimum, but possibly until next week. No way around it. And we’re supposed to be fine with that.
Surely they are paying you interest on those shares right? I'd be furious. Wouldn't it make sense to raise some heck with your oversight agency? That's either sketchy or incompetence.

Last edited:
The guy most likely have less than 100 pre split shares.

The purchase price was $61,990 and represented 9.4% of his TSLA. Based on yesterdays close that would be around 265 pre-split TSLA shares. Decent for a young youtuber but less than I'd have expected.

Now we just need Rob Maurer to buy a Tesla.

Here's something worrying .. I just called my UK broker to ask why my pre-split share count has not been updated, whereas the post-split share price has. I’ve just been told that they have chaos going on due to the number of frustrated APPL and TSLA clients not yet receiving the new allocations.

BUT .. I cannot sell anything I don’t yet have, even if the SP tanks .. possibly causing pent up sell action if many others are in the same boat and none of us can sell until further notice.

Which leaves me exposed to the will of the market, and unable to act.

The broker does not allow shorting, so I couldn’t even sell short what I ought to have been allocated.

I joked that maybe this farce has been caused by MM’s / manipulators selling naked shorts and being unable to produce the actual shares .. and he laughed saying ‘you maybe onto something, but I can’t possibly express a firm opinion’

Same here. Who is your broker? I rang mine, Equiniti and was told the new shares would appear either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I made exactly the same point to them that I am unable to trade. Their explanation was half-baked so I have raised an official complaint. This isnt the only problem Ive had recently with Equiniti. I am on the look out for a a new UK broker.

I’m astonished that RBC, our largest institution by a huge margin, had any kind of delays.

This is far more wide-spread than just RBC. There are literally 2 handfuls of brokerages that are having these 'problems'.

My take on the psychology that allowed their Management to dig themselves into this hole was, simply put, they've been telling themselves and each other that Tesla was headed to bankruptcy for so long that it became doctrine, dogma, and was thus not challenged. Like a TESLAQ echo-chamber, but with grey suits.

This granted Brokers the cognitive dissonance 'head-room' to commit multiple securities violations and what amounts to a racketeering operation (the naked shorting) without any remorse, confident that the patient was on the death bed anyway. They needed only to cut off the oxygen to hasten the inevitable...

Trouble is, the patient survived. And now, said patient has returned to chew bubble gum and kick ass.

Cheers!

Many people here have said they they themselves where unable to trade on their assets during this period.

I'll admit the conspiracy theory sounding stuff with naked shorting sounds questionable but it's also well beyond my understanding of how the markets work. And @Artful Dodger is a person on this forum I don't have confidence to place much doubt in.

Now there's some tautology for you!

Here is what I just InMailed Allen Root on LinkedIn:

"Subject: Curious: Why do you quote Gordon Johnson?

Hi Al,

Thanks for your extensive coverage of TSLA I always read your articles.

Just curious why you quoted Gordon's opinion today of the cap raise. Gordon's PT of $17.40 is an outlier being the lowest on the Street. He isn't representative of analyst coverage of the name.

When I posted this to Tesla Motors Club dot com's investors' roundtable, one of the forum members replied, "... anytime GJ speaks about $TSLA...$TSLA rockets". I replied in that case, we should all email asking you to write more stories quoting him! haha

Russ

PS. I'm an individual $TSLA investor since 2011 (average $30 cost basis). I can see Tesla's Fremont Factory below my master bedroom window in Fremont. Bought Model X P90D in 2016 and now have a Model 3."

I reached out to Andrew Ross Sorkin last year about one of his NYT articles on the illegal guns after my credit card number was somehow obtained and used to order guns online and stay at a hotel near Disneyland (FBI investigated this). Andrew wrote back.

I wrote something similar. But I also included Gordon’s tipranks link just to really “bring it home”. I asked why so many still continue to quote Gordon since he has such low performance.

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/gordon-johnson

Surely they are paying you interest on those shares right? I'd be furious. Wouldn't it make sense to raise some heck with your oversight agency? That's either sketchy or incompetence.

They sent all TSLA shareholders a message right after the split was announced that informed us of the delay, so I guess legally they’re covered (we always had the option to sell prior to the split). But they are getting some heat on Twitter, and they’re now posting a default reply:

Hi Username, following a stock split we have to wait for the new shares to be issued to us by CREST. For UK listed stocks this often happens the same day but for overseas, like Tesla Inc, it can take longer. We hope to have these by 3 September however we can't guarantee this.

This is what their Twitter feed looks like now, it’s kinda funny, they’re having the same issue with the AAPL split: Hargreaves Lansdown (@HLInvest) on Twitter

Quite a lot of Banks/Brookers in Europe mine in Germany is one of them, do show the correct after Split Stock price but remain the pre split amount of shares.

IOW, my deport is now about 80% down :eek: if I would believe what they display to me. Even worse there is no proper information but just that they can do it earliest Sept 2nd.

It's incredible and unprofessional and that from a large Bank like BNP Paribas I am otherwise actually quite happy with.

I just wrote a letter explaining my dissatisfaction with their service and communication.

They sent all TSLA shareholders a message right after the split was announced that informed us of the delay, so I guess legally they’re covered (we always had the option to sell prior to the split). But they are getting some heat on Twitter, and they’re now posting a default reply:

Hi Username, following a stock split we have to wait for the new shares to be issued to us by CREST. For UK listed stocks this often happens the same day but for overseas, like Tesla Inc, it can take longer. We hope to have these by 3 September however we can't guarantee this.

This is what their Twitter feed looks like now, it’s kinda funny, they’re having the same issue with the AAPL split: Hargreaves Lansdown (@HLInvest) on Twitter
I'd be asking them if they sent the shares via air or a cargo ship. This crap is all digital. Ridiculous.