Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it do that in response to a buy order (automatically pulling the correct amount on demand) or does it force you to prefund and risk being low or high and stranding funds?

If my broker did fractional shares that would make it a non issue. But asking me to deposit buffer amounts to cover price changes a market transaction is what I'd rather avoid.

I want my buy stock order to be as close to seamless as possible and I want my loose funds somewhere other than my brokers money market account.

Literally what I see is a request to "Deposit Funds". With an option to link to a checking or savings by way of ACH or wire transfer. But doing so strands funds on services that don't allow purchasing fractional shares. TD Ameritrade has matched the $0 transaction fee of Robinhood but not the fractional shares functionality. So my reaction is the stockbroker equivalent of Standards

Another broker account just added to my list.

I’m on a margin account - perhaps that’s why they’re lenient. You absolutely do not have to use margin and it doesn’t cost. But it does give you certain advantages such as not having to wait for trades to settle T+2 and perhaps this deposit trick also. I’m happy with eTrade, though their website hasn’t changed much since I opened my account in 2013! :eek:

Reactions: Nocturnal
Oh, I can easily beat you on that one.
Of course, today Fidelity is fully updating my account now to show me with paper losses of several fold my yearly income. On Monday, when I am certain my account was up with paper gains of >1M, it did not update the account. It only partially updated yesterday, so I still couldn't see any of the gains from Monday. And now, it happily shows me a giant red number with the paper losses. :oops:

D**m Fidelity, it is all their fault. Maybe I should move to a new broker...;)
Fidelity is garbage. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone and got nothing done...most of it on hold.
It takes 3 to 4 days for money to "settle" ...that is bank speak for let us play the float.

I tried to move my self directed brokerage link account to a IRA since I am no longer in my company's 401K plan.
That is not possible without a call to them. Then it takes 3 days for the funds to "settle"

These are ledger transactions...a bit in a database....not some fine chinao_O

If you found this, the big boys know about it. So, might expect two more days of SP suppression to 1) lower the starting point for the infinity squeeze, and 2) shake loose shares (increase float).

Same thing, I guess.
Yeah I’m thinking the rest of the week is going to be a down hill ride for a bit. Good to know what to expect, because even as a HODL investor, it can still be kind of nauseating.

Fidelity is garbage. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone and got nothing done...most of it on hold.
It takes 3 to 4 days for money to "settle" ...that is bank speak for let us play the float.

I tried to move my self directed brokerage link account to a IRA since I am no longer in my company's 401K plan.
That is not possible without a call to them. Then it takes 3 days for the funds to "settle"

These are ledger transactions...a bit in a database....not some fine chinao_O

Ooof. I have Fidelity. Which company do you like?

Thanks. Indeed, consideration of a Monday holiday in the US only, would seem to make an S&P announcement unlikely this Friday and more likely on Tuesday. Otherwise, Tesla trading on Monday in overseas exchanges could be chaotic.

As was the case today, we may still see after-hours traders on Thursday and Friday bidding Tesla up a bit until 5:15 pm EDT, then selling in disappointment over lack of an announcement.

Yeah I’m thinking the rest of the week is going to be a down hill ride for a bit. Good to know what to expect, because even as a HODL investor, it can still be kind of nauseating.

Actually could not be as bad as you're fearing. They triggered the uptick rule today so no shorting tomorrow(who am I kidding they'll naked short, but still) and then on Friday, some buying could come in as anticipation for Friday or Tuesday announcement builds.

I think your goal to get to a specific number of shares is counter-productive to beneficial investing behavior. The number of shares you might wish to own is irrelevant. Goals are over-rated, particularly when they attempt to quantify things that shouldn't be quantified. A general goal, such as becoming more patient with others, managing short-term risk more skillfully or learning to be a better cook) can be helpful. A goal that is just a number is counter-productive.
You might be right for you, but that doesn't mean you're right for other people. I find that my investing results are better when I have have specific short-term goals (like what you are deriding here) rather than vague goals (like maximize my money). And surely it's investing results that matter, right?

Wow, you are getting a lot of informative so people are seeing this but this is huge. Needs to be talked about.

Is there any other way to read this then that we will know the day after tomorrow after close (presumably at 5.15 eastern) if S&P will happen for the foreseeable future?

If Tesla is not included in the document sent tomorrow they won't be before 9/18 guaranteed and can anyone really argue that it'll be likely to happen for another quarter then?

EDIT: It's already Sept 3 here so I wrote tomorrow originally. Obviously mean Friday evening.
Since you're a day ahead of us can you let us know what happens on Friday so we can plan accordingly?

I don’t buy the Baillie Gifford line about their rule concerning a limit of what they can hold.

They will not have a limit against having money. So, they could have sold it more gently. plus, in a very short time there will be plenty of buyers interested in those chairs,
Unless the idea was to keep as many chairs as possible. Then dumping a bunch in one go helps to make the remaining Chairs less valuable, meeting the rule again.

Who said they dumped it in one go? All we know is they filed for a holding below 5% at the end of the quarter. They've been incredibly supportive of Tesla and Elon through all the ups-and-downs. Most likely they've been selling nice and slow on run-up days in order to maximise their returns.

What @Lycanthrope posted is correct, except for the 4.25% stake being as of the end of the quarter. The 13G Baillie filed yesterday reported a 4.25% stake in TSLA as of August 31st. This means that Baillie had already sold the ~4M (pre-split) shares before today, likely during the run-up to $1,800 before the ER, and then the run-up to $2,500 after the split announcement.

As Elon Musk said he was the first invested in and will be the last out.

However GM and Ford will be out soon.
The fact that Tesla sales are limited by production capacity in contrast of other car makers which sales are limited by demand on $44900 pick up trucks traditionally sold to the social class presently off work in a pandemic, the future is not bright for the legacy automakers.

Maybe Roy was right. Time to die.