Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally seen my dividend shares in UK account.

General thanks to this forum which is the only one I really read in TMC anymore. Despite so many Bulls it is actually the caution and counter-arguments herein that encouraged my fairly risk averse approach to HODLing.

Took me a while to buy shares even though my car is now 5 years old...had little spare cash last year but spent £6k on $230-$300 shares. When I sold property and had cash on hand in July I was already in massive profit, so I chucked another £19k into TSLA when I luckily timed the late July $1416 dip knowing the likely impact of any share drop would result in still being up.

I am currently £50k up on £25k investment and might chuck another £20k-£50k in this week, knowing even a big dip would not leave me worse off than I started last year and I do not plan to touch these shares for 5yrs, 10yrs or maybe longer. Due to the property sale I have plenty of cash doing nothing in the bank, but do not want to get greedy or burnt and this recycling of gains feels like a decent balance.

I doubt I will ever bother understanding leaps, calls, puts or swinging and I am not bothered about diversifying, because I know a lot about TSLA but not so much about the NIOs, Zooms and general tech start-ups that might be one-trick ponies vs the multi-sector disruptor that is Tesla.

Anyway, cheers and I will continue watching from the sidelines. Although if things get silly in next couple of years I might start dabbling more.

I know a lot of people speculating that if not tomorrow then Tuesday announcement due to markets closed on Monday. Anyone know if there is any precedent for the announcement at market close today so that the dust can settle with Friday trading?

Hey, I nabbed a golden $TSLA share - my life's work is complete, I can die content, I shall cherish it always, never selling this one!!

View attachment 583895
I can't be the only retard watching the price at 408, not buy and hope it goes above 421 so that I can put in a limit order for 420.69

Got a few to hold for the memories.
upload_2020-9-3_8-58-3.png

Finally my broker, Equiniti has added the shares. I complained to them and have received an apology. I also posted a poor review on Trustpilot. I have received another apology in reply to my review and they said they are going to contact me because they don't want to lose my business. Too late for that I'm afraid.

In the meantime I've opened an account with IG and just bought a few TSLA at $411 to try out the functionality. It feels like a big improvement.

(Not arguing or disagreeing, @agastya, just wondering)

Really? The person who bought their shares won't give them back. And the person who sold them the 'replacement' shares won't take theirs back. I mean, it's not like you can phone up these arms length parties and say "whoops". How could the broker ignore this? Compensate for any change in SP? Why would they?

Not sure if I follow your question - there arent two different entities in the equation.

Person A had 100 shares from 6/1.
A sells 50 shares on 9/1
A buys 50 shares on 9/1
The 50 piece sell will settle on 9/3.
Person A should always have the ability to tick off the 50 against (i) 50/100 from 6/1 or (ii) 50/50 from 9/1.

Of course all of this has to be in the same account, and the quantities have to match.

I know a lot of people speculating that if not tomorrow then Tuesday announcement due to markets closed on Monday. Anyone know if there is any precedent for the announcement at market close today so that the dust can settle with Friday trading?

September rebalancing has a 2-week lead-time, I see no reason why a public holiday would change that. You think the SPY guys give a single duck about EU trading on Monday?

Elon in a playful mood, I think the future is very bright!

View attachment 583904

Playful but frankly being a bit of a dick there. If this was me I would be super angry. OF COURSE there should be a confirmation to spend that sort of money. Tesla are potential pissing off a lot of people there for zero gain. He should have apologised, refunded the dude immediately and pledged to fix the app.

Great post Dave. I hope the mods are OK with me refreshing this for the morning crowd, especially the new TSLA investors. Investing in good companies is a long term game and you should be prepared to ride out the choppiness. People tend to easily forget that TSLA was range bound from 2014-2019.

---

Mod: no problem. In fact, this morning Dave's post was added to the Merit Thread. It is a good example of the solid and sober analysis which this board needs more of in this environment of uber-bullishness.

RSF
Well, I hope you added paragraph breaks. This "wall of text" stuff hurts the eyes.

I can't be the only retard watching the price at 408, not buy and hope it goes above 421 so that I can put in a limit order for 420.69

Got a few to hold for the memories.
View attachment 583898

Exactly what I did, waited until it went up to $422, then put in a limit.

I tried pre-market, but the stupid broker bought a share at $413, what a waste of money!!

Buy cheap and you buy twice, as they say.

Last edited: