Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the USA is still very cheque-oriented. I heard many people still send a monthly mortgage cheque (is that true?). Last time I used a cheque, I had to dig out the chequebook from storage and manually cross out the 19 with 20 to get the right century. This was to pay a solicitor. They had no idea how to accept an electronic payment. Same solicitor, a few years later could accept electronic payments.
I don't know about the average person, but I believe most people with access to the Internet pays electronically. The property tax cheque is about the only cheque I write because there's no way to pay electronically without incurring a massive convenience fee. Last year I wrote maybe three or four cheques.

I've been reading this thread since before and after I invested. Some questions about terminology;

What is BB?
What is AH (besides the World of Warcraft Auction House, lol).
What are MMs? Not M&Ms. Got familiar with those around age 3.

Thanks in advance!
Bollinger Bands
After Hours
Market Makers

enough for Google

I know a lot of people on this forum pushed back when the idea of Tesla selling batteries or powertrain to other manufacturers was mentioned, but (just thinking out loud here) I think a deal of some sort with VW would:
a) REALLY legitimatize the fact that Tesla does have superior tech, a nice moat, no matter what GJ says, and
b) give analysts another ongoing revenue stream to add to their calculations, which they could use to justify their higher SP predictions, so we may hear a little less of that "but, the fundamentals don't justify the SP".
I'm not saying that I'm all for a deal with VW, just trying to think of an upside. ;)

VW has struggled with the software, to solve this they would need to buy all the electrical/electronics hardware from Tesla or it suppliers. At that point you have a Tesla with a VW body. Not sure this is the position VW wants to put itself. Basically building the equivalent of windows PC. All the value would be captured by Tesla.

Just batteries and powertrain might be more feasible, but I don't think this is where VW is struggling and you don't really solve the software challenge. Also, VW has agreements with Ford and some others to share the MEB hardware so this would likely mean they abandon this which would be a PR disaster.

I am sure they are discussing options. Just not sure how they could get to win-win. They have clearly become friendly and respect each other. It could just be general advise. I am sure they both can learn from each other.

It must be @AlMc (with a lowercase "L" in the middle).

Well, I know almost nothing about the company or technology (yet) so for me it's a highly speculative investment (especially considering it had just jumped 60% on the announcement). But I figured JB wouldn't waste his time on the board of a company that was likely to go nowhere, VW and Bill Gates are involved and that the next few days would bring more interest and I could research it in the interim.

It just "smelled" good.

Plus, I'm for anything that could help accelerate the transition to sustainable energy!

Yes AlMc. as in AlanMc.......Glad that a couple people grabbed some KCAC....not sure how it will do so as always..I 'aim small, miss small'...in investing in companies like this...

Papa fox is theorizing that the massive sell off in Tesla in pre market could have a role to play for the whole market tumbling. Hmmm interesting

This. If S&P index funds have to include Tesla, first they have to find cash to buy Tesla stock and that comes by dropping all their holdings by ~ 1% which would look like a massive selling due to it coming from large funds. A lot of things are going towards right direction in US from an economy point of view, why would the stock market have a massive sell off? Excessive greed, combined with index sell off caused the massive drop in S&P and Nasdaq on Thursday IMHO

VW has struggled with the software, to solve this they would need to buy all the electrical/electronics hardware from Tesla or it suppliers. At that point you have a Tesla with a VW body. Not sure this is the position VW wants to put itself. Basically building the equivalent of windows PC. All the value would be captured by Tesla.

Just batteries and powertrain might be more feasible, but I don't think this is where VW is struggling and you don't really solve the software challenge. Also, VW has agreements with Ford and some others to share the MEB hardware so this would likely mean they abandon this which would be a PR disaster.

I am sure they are discussing options. Just not sure how they could get to win-win. They have clearly become friendly and respect each other. It could just be general advise. I am sure they both can learn from each other.

Not - they were negotiating Diess's Tesla package upon joining the better team.

Offer special discount prices to police Tesla cars at super chargers. Build more super chargers especially in higher crime areas.

Tesla cruisers will charge at these areas. Increase Tesla drivers safety and rest of area.

Win win win and more win for everybody.
While totally OT. I think your idea is brilliant and will likely result in some action by Tesla, such as giving FREE electricity to cop cars that use the Super chargers in high crime areas. A quadruple win. Good for the area, Good for the Police budget, good for Tesla PR, and my personal favorite, good for the people that use the chargers.
I could even see Tesla having all their Superchargers be LEO-friendly, with those in high crime areas being completely free.

OK I done did it.
DEAFDD65-BD8E-4952-A0BD-949318DE6556.png