Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no insurance for TSLA at 40. I'll likely just get out of everything due to excessive pain. On my way down 90% I passed several milestones where I had told myself I would get out, but I didn't because I was sure it was going up soon. I'll try to be smarter this time.
When investing TSLA, your exit rules should not be price points.

Rather, it should be likelihood of Tesla going belly up, measured by key events.

I don’t want to list my list of events but none of them happened on the way down, so instead of selling I have been buying. Same for 2019, and this month.

Not advice.

I appreciate your points, if not always your tone.
Yeah, sorry. I think living in Mordor is getting to me. Fires everywhere. Can't breathe the air. Thankfully, we haven't had to evacuate yet. I'm glad I have the option to hide in my Model S with the air conditioning and biohazard defense mode on. My daughter slept in it a couple of nights.

When investing TSLA, your exit rules should not be price points.

Rather, it should be likelihood of Tesla going belly up, measured by key events.

I don’t want to list my list of events but none of them happened on the way down, so instead of selling I have been buying. Same for 2019, and this month.

Not advice.
That sort of thing works if you have only a small portion of your net worth invested. If you are at 80-120% then you need to consider other things first. Different approaches for different levels of risk.

A million mile battery is such a gimmick. Million miles of BS.
Does it go 100 miles x 10,000 cycles? It is a MILLION MILES!
The huge bump will be 1000 miles per charge (which in real driving is around 800). And 1000 charges gives you...a MIIIIILLLLIIIOOONNNN miles. You can go "all day," or for a month before needing to charge, with the same amount of miles.
Yes "million miles" for robotaxis. But not as big a deal as you think. It is still more important to improve the miles between charges. Charging takes a robotaxi off the streets. Yes charging schedule can be figured out, but it is still much much more important than a million mile battery.
Pick one:|
A battery that can go a 1,000,000 miles but has to be charged every 300(250 really) miles.
A battery that can go 500,000 miles but can go 600 (500 really) miles per charge.

Advantages with the 500,000 mile battery.
Edit: 500,000 miles is about 15 years of driving for me...You still want that car? like they haven't made enough HARDWARE advancements that the vehicle is a dead car rolling.
Range anxiety isn't a weekly issue
Road trips become "charge at the hotel" all the time.

BUT dramatic decreases in charging times will probably be the direction that can be exploited. If you think about it though not having to charge as often holds the greatest improvement in the EV experience.

EDIT: 500,000 miles is about 15 years of driving for me. In 15 years any BEV will be a dead car rolling because Hardware improvements will make the car extremely "undesirable." 15 yr old BEV's will be jalopies.
The most telling words in what you wrote are "for me". No matter how you cut it, a million-mile battery is a technological advance that others have to try to match.

Yeah, sorry. I think living in Mordor is getting to me. Fires everywhere. Can't breathe the air. Thankfully, we haven't had to evacuate yet. I'm glad I have the option to hide in my Model S with the air conditioning and biohazard defense mode on. My daughter slept in it a couple of nights.
Seriously considering buying one for that reason. Just tried to do a test drive but they are shutting down because of air quality. Also wondering if "biohazard defense mode" should just be considered a standard safety feature on every car (Tesla or not) from now on. I think you could argue that it's more important than airbags, especially for first responders that are actually working on/near the fires. I bet it's a big selling point in China and other places with bad air quality.

Reactions: JustMe
Seriously considering buying one for that reason. Just tried to do a test drive but they are shutting down because of air quality. Also wondering if "biohazard defense mode" should just be considered a standard safety feature on every car (Tesla or not) from now on. I think you could argue that it's more important than airbags, especially for first responders that are actually working on/near the fires. I bet it's a big selling point in China and other places with bad air quality.

It really works, and makes me think about how visionary a thinker Elon is to not just have thought of this in the context of global warming & increased pollution levels - but to actually have put it into production; years ago.

When I first heard about it - I didn't think it would be of much use. Particularly living in Western Canada where ( historically at least ) where we are so fortunate to have such great air quality; the vast majority of the time. It's also easy to forget how important it is. Side note to self: time for some gratitude.

If you want to know how well it works and you are located anywhere the smoke zones- no better time than now - to go sit in an S/X with Bioweapon / HEPA, and you will feel better. Doing this / breathing in clean air is likely even more beneficial to those who are older, or overweight / obese - especially during a pandemic.

This option alone is worth a solid chunk of the price if the car.

I have also often wondered why Tesla, or even Tesla fan sites / You tubers haven't publicized this more.

Last edited:

Always good to have reasons to buy a new Tesla, but there are cheaper approaches:
Atem Car Air Purifier | IQAir

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 10.48.09 AM.png

It really works, and makes me think about how visionary a thinker Elon is to not just have thought of this in the context of global warming & increased pollution levels - but to actually have put it into production; years ago.

When I first heard about it - I didn't think it would be of much use. Particularly living in Western Canada where ( historically at least ) where we are so fortunate to have such great air quality; the vast majority of the time. It's also easy to forget how important it is. Side note to self: time for some gratitude.

If you want to know how well it works and you are located anywhere there- no better time than now - to go sit in an S/X with Bioweapon / HEPA, and that option alone is worth a solid chunk of the price if the car.

I have also often wondered why Tesla, or even Tesla fan sites / You tubers haven't publicized this more.
Yeah it's funny, I usually take clean air for granted too, but it's just such a basic necessity when you think about it (or don't have it):( Would love to see Tesla do for air filtration what they have done for batteries, i.e. make it so cheap and superior that it basically forces all car makers to do it.

Statements like these are the exact reason it's taking so long for EVs to gain significant market share. The goal wasn't to be fair to manufacturers or to help manufacturers make money, the goal was to create an industry of EV manufacturing.
That was the stated goal. It's obvious the real goal was to help out Detroit and the legacy car industry and also secure their revolving door position, rather than some upstart that would soon go out of business, but didn't.

Reactions: Nate the Great
As per usual, I have zero ideas or thoughts on the SP movement in the coming days. If you put a gun to my head and tell me to guess, I will tell you to bite me.

Stubborn cat - how hard can it be? We know by next Friday the share price will have done one of the following:

-moved lower,
-stayed about the same,
or moved significantly higher.

What's the matter? You don't have a three sided coin? ;)

Statements like these are the exact reason it's taking so long for EVs to gain significant market share. The goal wasn't to be fair to manufacturers or to help manufacturers make money, the goal was to create an industry of EV manufacturing.

Who cares about being fair to Ford or GM, or anyone else when they have chosen not to design and build EVs for the last 10 or 12 years since the tax credit was started. Heck, Ford even took a $5.9 billion loan firm the US government to develop high fuel mileage vehicles. They chose to develop ICE cars instead, which the have since stopped making. Why should Tesla and people living in America suffer for their horrible decision?

It should have been real simple - x number of dollars to be given our in tax credits - and when it was exhausted, it was over, regardless of who sold the most cars, and who made their bets on ICE cars.
Your naivete is funny.

Politicians care and they are the ones who create tax policy. Sometime in the future, we can hope public sentiment towards EVs becomes strong enough to shift attitudes in D.C.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
...almost nobody buys $100,000+ luxury cars planning to keep driving that same car for 30 years.

Or even 10 typically.

So that's adding basically $0.00 value to most S/X buyers, other than better resale- but since they're usually lazy and just trade it it, not even that much there either.

Another member already mentioned how the 1,000,000 mile battery benefits Tesla when they deliver the cars as leases. What hasn't been mentioned is that this same monetary benefit is available to all purchasers of cars with 1,000,000 mile batteries regardless of how long they plan to own the car. Specifically, they retain more resale value. Significantly more.

I'm not sure why you are focusing only on cars costing $100,000 plus when Tesla has already reduced the cost of both Models S and X to under $80,000 and will continue to reduce the cost as the cost to produce them continues to decline. That said, the people who are buying Tesla's for over $100,000 did not get to that point in life without being aware of how to figure out true ownership costs and the 1M mile battery will reduce the cost of ownership significantly regardless of whether you are the new car buyer or pick one up used for a bit less.