Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with 3 guys I run with who told me to cash out on my Tesla investment because all the Chinese competitors are allegedly going to overtake Tesla according to them. One of them just bought 2 Kona EVs, one for himself and one for his wife. He said « Who would want to pay $15,000 more just for the Tesla name? ». He said that every competitor is going to have a cheaper version of an equivalent EV just like Huawei to iPhone. Then I pointed the $1499 iPhone in his hand and told him to watch battery day to understand. Then the 3 talked about buying these cheap stocks that could double if they managed to get that contract, how they regret selling shopify at $300 when he bought at $150. That same guy recommending me to sell TSLA. I guess some people never learn from their mistakes, ever.

Nobody knows the future and they could be right at one point or the other. They were certainly almost right last year.

And some of them will probably be right, cause there will probably be a #2 ev maker. But none can surpass the ride the initial investors of tesla experienced.

I know. It's extremely frustrating. I've been driving a Model S for over 7 years now (2013, 2018 cars) and I'm appalled at the amount of friends I've lost because of Tesla. It is a topic that cannot be discussed with them. I would say that the chief reason for their hate of Elon, and the whole idea of Tesla, can be chalked up to a corrupt and captured media. Sadly, they have achieved, significantly, their purposeful distortion of truth. As to lost friends, there is a line from the last paragraph of "Walden Pond" that I find comfort in: "Only that day dawns to which we are awake".

Can't upvote this enough. My vlose friends stuck around. But some acquaintances had to be ejected.. . I was probably a bit too passionate in the beginning.

COVID2 really opened my eyes on how brainwashed the majority is.

I used to question myself on trends I saw. Thinking "If I can see this, there must be many others that can as well".

But turns out, that even after 10 years since I spotted it, I am still with the minority.

Since the interesting discussion up-thread between @MC3OZ and @jbcarioca following on from Elon’s comment that Tesla will definitely enter the Indian market next year, I have been reconsidering some of Elon’s other recent remarks:

First, about the Shanghai- and Berlin-designed vehicles “for the global market”, and

Secondly, his ready refusal of Sandy Munro’s request for help with a three-wheeled vehicle, and his confirmation (“Exactly”) of Karen’s elaboration that although a three-wheeler may be safe in the correct configuration, three-wheelers aren’t regulated by the same safety standards.

Third, the “Vehicle Integration” part of the battery day presentation where Elon spruiked the unheard-of stiffness of the structural battery and the associated uptick in safety.

Putting these together such that 2+2=5, Tesla can make a subcompact car of unparalleled safety making it appropriate for all roads and markets of all stripes, especially when robotaxis remove the upfront cost of car use, meeting the strictest safety standards while fitting neatly into narrow lanes and parking spaces.

My personal guess is that Berlin will lead on the 2/Z and China will lead on the 1.

The 1 and the 2/Z, plus stationary storage will make a GF in India viable.

Remember that to do a serious market entry into India is going to involve a very quick build-out of a Supercharger network. If you have been to India in the last few years you will realise that is quite a challenge. If you know anything about the Indian electrical grid you will realise it is a complete nightmare. See need for stationary storage as an enabler in this, as well as of course for market entry into that sector.

I think Tesla will push for (and get) a relaxation of the rules so that they can have 100% ownership. After all the Chinese did it .........

Nothing is clean in India. Working through that issue is actually likely to be the biggest stumbling block.

regards, dspp/pb

Can't upvote this enough. My vlose friends stuck around. But some acquaintances had to be ejected.. . I was probably a bit too passionate in the beginning.

I used to question myself on trends I saw. Thinking "If I can see this, there must be many others that can as well".

But turns out, that even after 10 years since I spotted it, I am still with the minority.

I don’t speak about Tesla to anyone anymore unless someone asks me specifically about it.

now an interesting video and funny YouTuber I just found, anyone know stealth wealth investor
according to him, Wall Street is now watching tsla closely, for the first time.

Who is Sia?

Sia. And, I don’t get it.

5091C4E9-C886-46DC-9C49-F9FCBA717C3B.jpeg

Just spoke with 3 guys I run with who told me to cash out on my Tesla investment because all the Chinese competitors are allegedly going to overtake Tesla according to them. One of them just bought 2 Kona EVs, one for himself and one for his wife. He said « Who would want to pay $15,000 more just for the Tesla name? ». He said that every competitor is going to have a cheaper version of an equivalent EV just like Huawei to iPhone.
1. There's nothing that can't be made cheaper by making it a little worse.
2. When you purchase oats, you pay the market price--however, the oats are considerably cheaper after they've been through the horse.
3. I believe Apple still has 80% or 90% of the smartphone profits. The fact that others sell a larger quantity of cheaper cars shouldn't matter to the TSLA investor.

now an interesting video and funny YouTuber I just found, anyone know stealth wealth investor
according to him, Wall Street is now watching tsla closely, for the first time.

Yes, I agree that Wall Street has been watching Tesla closely for some time, especially over the last year or so the narrative around Tesla has changed a lot and that the analysts are getting better (or learning some from retail youtube analysts maybe?).

I find Stealth Wealth Investor's Youtube channel quite useful, and I try to keep up with it. He tends to be a bit basic but I think he generally has relevant and true things to say. And he is also funny, like his "Tesla Bull" persona. :)

Reactions: saniflash
So what of the car sensors monitoring your health?
I've posted before how the vehicle will eventually be a "nurse" of sorts, especially when it becomes FSD. Here is an undesirable scenario that will happen soon enough...
Grandpa will get in the car to come for Thanksgiving Dinner. With FSD it is not a big deal, even if Grandpa is 80 yrs old and lives 2 hours away. Two hours gives him time for a nap.
His car pulls in your driveway. The extended family goes out to greet him, and he doesn't get out of the car....ut oh? Grandpa died. Happy Thanksgiving.
So no. Right away some degree of health monitoring will be a valuable feature. The vehicle can monitor your health status, and alert the nearest Emergency Room while rerouting the vehicle to the ambulance entrance.
Not allowing a car to "see" you will severely limit the functionality of the device.
Hey! I’m 80 and just finished a 1500 mile trip followed by a 1100 mile trip. Not all of us are half dead.

You might want to consider that hanging out with stupid people isn't good for you.

All old friends I have been running marathons and training for Ironman triathlons for more than 10 years...
One lawyer
One neurosurgeon
One orthopedic surgeon that went into the Olympics in cycling

They might be stupid in investing but I have friends with specific intelligence in many fields. These guys seems to have excellent specific intelligence in their field but limited comprehension on new disruptive technologies and companies. So I do not take any financial advice tips from these guys, don’t worry ;)

All old friends I have been running marathons and training for Ironman triathlons for more than 10 years...
One lawyer
One neurosurgeon
One orthopedic surgeon that went into the Olympics in cycling

They might be stupid in investing but I have friends with specific intelligence in many fields. These guys seems to have excellent specific intelligence in their field but limited comprehension on new disruptive technologies and companies. So I do not take any financial advice tips from these guys, don’t worry ;)

I’m always amazed at the lack of financial literacy, and closed mindedness to new technology and innovation, amongst people who are extremely deep in their respective fields.

Just last week, in speaking with a Partner of 30 years of a Big Four firm, who is on the verge of retiring, he was explaining how incredibly anxious he is about retirement and has no idea how he’ll cope financially. Now that’s someone in a financial industry role.

I can only imagine it gets increasingly worse in other fields such as engineering, medicine, and others.

You keep doing you @OrthoSurg !

Top Gear on UK's BBC 1 tonight (primetime). This is a very large channel with a large audience. I was only half watching while doing something else. Others might remember better or add more. Company / motorway cruisers / rep-mobiles. May not sell as many as smaller cars but often do lots of miles.

Idea was to spend 24 hours in company cars - Model 3, BMW M330E (maybe) and some kind of Volvo.

My observations (as far as I can remember):-

1. BMW .19 seconds faster round track but with a MUCH better driver
  2. Volvo much slower
  3. Tesla fastest from bottom to top of a multi-storey car park (I think 60 vs 70 seconds). BMW second with MUCH better driver.
  4. The Tesla was so planted and under control compared to the others.
  5. Included obligatory 25 minute vs 2 minute fill-up nonsense.
  6. Did include caraoke while waiting.
  7. Filmed before covid - so large group enjoying caraoke
  8. Not a fan of presenters

Blessedly, I have very few friends. Lots of progeny, but at a distance.

Last edited:
So what of the car sensors monitoring your health?
I've posted before how the vehicle will eventually be a "nurse" of sorts, especially when it becomes FSD. Here is an undesirable scenario that will happen soon enough...
Grandpa will get in the car to come for Thanksgiving Dinner. With FSD it is not a big deal, even if Grandpa is 80 yrs old and lives 2 hours away. Two hours gives him time for a nap.
His car pulls in your driveway. The extended family goes out to greet him, and he doesn't get out of the car....ut oh? Grandpa died. Happy Thanksgiving.
So no. Right away some degree of health monitoring will be a valuable feature. The vehicle can monitor your health status, and alert the nearest Emergency Room while rerouting the vehicle to the ambulance entrance.
Not allowing a car to "see" you will severely limit the functionality of the device.
This grandpa is 80 and - thank the stars - doesn't (yet) need FSD to get to the grandkids' home

I’m always amazed at the lack of financial literacy, and closed mindedness to new technology and innovation, amongst people who are extremely deep in their respective fields.

Just last week, in speaking with a Partner of 30 years of a Big Four firm, who is on the verge of retiring, he was explaining how incredibly anxious he is about retirement and has no idea how he’ll cope financially. Now that’s someone in a financial industry role.

I can only imagine it gets increasingly worse in other fields such as engineering, medicine, and others.

You keep doing you @OrthoSurg !

And the neurosurgeon was deeply arguing against my long and hold arguments saying that it is not how big money is made in stock market. That it is by daytrading buying low and selling high daily to make 1-2% with each trade.

He is excellent at doing a scoliosis surgery in less than 2 hours but don’t understand at all the buy and hold philosophy.

There might be a subcategory of excellent day traders but for us common mortals not living on Wallstreet, buy and hold of an excellent company after due diligence seems like the best way of long term growth.