Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3 spotted at the factory
121118805_4004870406195997_8502765672595081717_o.jpg

121246103_4004870466195991_4926976441398310905_o.jpg

How many 10 square miles with road will be needed to bd durveyed in the world?
Can slmrone do a quick estimate? ;-)?

yes - the less dense the area the less sense it makes. However lets remember how google maintains google maps street view: They brute force it with cars driving every street in the world it offers it in, and use people with 360 camera backpacks for locations without road access. they wouldn't think twice about having people monitoring roads full time in every large city.

Just an FYI. Wall of text = unreadable. I wanted to read it, but didn't.
Yeah, it blew up. Sorry. Here's the cliff notes version (feel free to skip again if still too long! ) :
  • Tesla insurance may be a big deal
  • Examples of other efforts that became big deals
    • Tesla service in the future
    • Tesla Energy
    • FSD
Initially it was a hedge because Insurance could be a single point of failure for FSD. Now Tesla is in more control of their own destiny, they can ensure fair rates for their customers and they have the fleet size and data collection beyond the insurance companies dreams and just might revolutionize/disrupt that industry too!

Tesla fully expects FSD to be much much safer than human drivers. Would the conventional insurance companies recognize that and pass that along to the customers? Tesla insurance can ensure that this happens.

Lastly, ask yourself this: The 3-6 months after Covid hit, how much less did you drive? Do you think the ~15% credit your insurance gave you (or whatever they gave you) was commensurate with the reduction of the liability and payouts that they experienced? Hmmm

Last edited:

Very good read indeed. One thing that surprised me is that they got a 0-60mph of 4.1s and also said that was vs. 4.0s for the I-PACE. They didn't mention the Model Y being acceleration boosted and that I-PACE time seems surprisingly fast as well. I drive the I-PACE alongside my Model 3 LR AWD (no acceleration boost) and the Model 3 is a bit quicker.

Last edited:
A little perspective on Elon's missed FSD timelines. Funny read.

upload_2020-10-9_9-58-53.png

Thread: https://twitter.com/TashaARK/status/1314262376015855616

Nissan, 2013: "There is big news in the world of motoring right now, because Nissan has upped the stakes and gotten serious about autonomous cars. In fact, Nissan Japan is promising a “commercially-viable” self-driving vehicle system by no later than 2020 (that is less than a decade away!). To add to this big news, Nissan also stated that not one, but seven of its 2020 models should have this technology available to them.

Ongoing Autonomous Vehicle Technological Research

Nissan has already been working on autonomous drive technology with a number of top research and educational institutions around the world for some time now. This includes cooperating with prestigious engineering research faculties at MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Oxford, the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Virginia Tech, and of course nearly every major university in Japan.

At the announcement of Nissan’s self drive timelines, the company CEO Carlos Ghosn had this to say:

“In 2007 I pledged that – by 2010 – Nissan would mass market a zero-emission vehicle, today, the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling electric vehicle in history. Now I am committing to be ready to introduce a new groundbreaking technology, Autonomous Drive, by 2020, and we are on track to realize it.”

A Leader in The Field of Current Driver Assistance Technology

For the best part of the last decade, Nissan have been one of the leaders in the field of driver assistance technology. These systems can already keep hapless drivers in their lanes and ensure that they maintain a safe following distance. They have also helped speed up the development of Nissan’s autonomous driving technology and the plans for autonomous drive by 2020 are a logical extension of Nissan’s technological advances that are occuring right now as you read this article

This entry was posted on 26 September 2013 under Nissan News"

Last edited:
Yeah, I just try to look at it from a casual consumer's view. We here are interested in what's going on underneath things and so a refresh to us might not seem like much at all to a casual consumer. So thus, I cringe when Fred puts a headline like that on an article because it then creates expectations of something more.

I try to keep my point of view from someone that isn't well informed on how Tesla operates or updates it's vehicles..........usually because I get asked constantly about refreshes from friends/family when it comes to Tesla :)

I agree. But looking things from Nordic point of view, the heat pump is a big thing. Reviews put a lot of weight for driving in winter conditions. And lack of heat pump has been a major disadvantage of Model 3.

Consumer Reports is slowly coming out from under a rock.

Pay Less for Vehicle Maintenance With an EV

"CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles"

I am amused by the word research in the headline, like it's equivalent to Niels Bohr's research into the structure of atoms or Alexander Flemming's research into penicillin. Anyway, inspired by the "CR research" I did some "research" of my own and discovered the following:

My Mercedes annual service was regularly over £600, My Nissan Leaf was £159 and my Model 3 is £nothing. It looks like CR could be onto something here

"CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles"

I am amused by the word research in the headline, like it's equivalent to Niels Bohr's research into the structure of atoms or Alexander Flemming's research into penicillin. Anyway, inspired by the "CR research" I did some "research" of my own and discovered the following:

My Mercedes annual service was regularly over £600, My Nissan Leaf was £159 and my Model 3 is £nothing. It looks like CR could be onto something here

Believe it or not, although I've been invested since 2012, I still don't yet own a Tesla! I invested more in the stock and bought a cheap MG EV instead! I'm held to ransom for annual servicing in order to keep the warranty of course... This drives me mad, the first service involves literally nothing apart from looking at a diagnostic for 3 minutes and walking around the car looking at it, then there's the hassle of taking it in and picking it up and I get to pay them £100 for this! It's also had to go in twice for software updates!!

As to the report, servicing cost aside, the fuelling costs away from the US in Europe/UK are an order of magnitude more expensive. On my low rate electricity night tariff I pay 10% of the previous ICE fuel costs per mile!

My servicing, fuel, and road fund license costs are £2750 ($3558) less per year than my last ICE! When I get a Tesla, that will drop even further!

These Dinosaurs don't know what's going to hit them, especially once the Y and lower cost model gets to Europe/UK...

Last edited:
From whole Mars blog on Twitter, looks like Fremont is ramping up. Could be increased production rates, but the new Model 3 production processes that could mean lower COGS, improved productivity and enough batteries to actually make more cars.
  • Locally sourced China batteries means 100% going to Fremont.
  • 5-10% capacity increase from Panasonic increases possible Fremont production by 10-15,000 3 and Y.
  • Model Y assembly processes reduce final assembly steps increasing line capacity.
  • Paint? Has new paint line been deployed?

Believe it or not, although I've been invested since 2012, I still don't yet own a Tesla! I invested more in the stock and bought a cheap MG EV instead! I'm held to ransom for annual servicing in order to keep the warranty of course... This drives me mad, the first service involves literally nothing apart from looking at a diagnostic for 3 minutes and walking around the car looking at it, then there's the hassle of taking it in and picking it up and I get to pay them £100 for this! It's also had to go in twice for software updates!!

As to the report, servicing cost aside, the fuelling costs away from the US in Europe/UK are an order of magnitude more expensive. On my low rate electricity night tariff I pay 10% of the previous ICE fuel costs per mile!

My servicing, fuel, and road fund license costs are £2750 ($3558) less per year than my last ICE! When I get a Tesla, that will drop even further!

These Dinosaurs don't know what's going to hit them, especially once the Y and lower cost model gets to Europe/UK...

Nothing personal, but if everyone waited to buy a Tesla because they were too busy hoarding TSLA shares and counting their gains and calculating that the Model S they bought in 2015 really cost them a million dollars... well, there would be no Tesla.

You state that you have returns In the ballpark of~ 10,000 % (Estimating 20 to 2000. Obviously could be off by a few 1000 percentage points either way ;)) in TSLA and yet you you still do not own a Tesla. You own an BEV, so you get a thumbs up for me, but what are you waiting for if what you really want is a Tesla?

On the claims side there is a need to assess the claim, but if the car is taken to a trusted body-shop, a quote for repair, backed by photos and perhaps video can be submitted to a central assessment office. I think they would build small teams of on the ground assessors, but more for cases than seem "non-standard".

I just heard the words AI in my head when reading that phrase.

Photos + parsed video / telemetry into the trained AI system ....processing.... claim approved (or declined :oops:)! :D:D

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ