Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I met with 3 people (2 are my friends). Sadly, only one of them had the time to drive my MY. 15 minutes into, all 3 of them were disappointed by their current cars and started to think about how to get rid of them and get a 3 or a Y All their cars are fancy, newish, and of course ICE (BMW X3, BMW 4 GT, Lexus RX). Did my best salesman pitch but Teslas sell themselves - we just need to let the ignorants try them! :D

PS: Smart Summon is getting decent...
Thank for you converting people with the Tesla effect.
When I read posts like yours, I know there is still a PR department at Tesla working in the streets to get our SP higher ;)

gem in the comments:
“Go ahead; invest 100k$ in a Tesla and find out how that works out.

No wonder Toyota is going to concentrate on hybrids.

Posted by: ToppaTom | 25 September 2012 at 11:36 PM

It would have worked out nicely, me thinks.

Thing about these type of arguments is that these commentators get to have their endorphin rush as well as the feeling of glee while all that you get are negative feelings.

Decades later when it's your turn to reverse the situation, these ppl are nowhere to be found.

The lesson I learnt is to not engage nor get into an argument like that anymore.

gem in the comments:
“Go ahead; invest 100k$ in a Tesla and find out how that works out.

No wonder Toyota is going to concentrate on hybrids.

Posted by: ToppaTom | 25 September 2012 at 11:36 PM

It would have worked out nicely, me thinks.
Hindsight is 20/20 but wouldn't $100,000 in Tesla at IPO be over $10 million now?

Damn, it's too bad I didn't really find out about Tesla until 2017 or so.

As someone who works in this field of 3D Art in videogames......this is incredibly unnecessary. Also, since they're using a generic engine/rendering system that is built for a variety of games, the engine has a lot of overhead when it comes to minimum system requirements/specs

Another gamdev here. I second this analysis. The ONLY reason to use something like unreal is to support games to be played in the car. Thats cool but...niche. ( i have a model S and am a gamedev but tbh the games are kind apointless unless you routiney leave bored kids in your car alone.

What REALLY matters about in-care screen GUI stuff is design & reliability. The tesla UI design is brilliant, but flaky and bug-ridden as hell. Maybe this is my 2015 model S MCU1... but it seems pretty poorly coded by the way it (barely) responds. This is not the fault of whoever provides the graphics driver, graphics hardware or the rendering API, its the fault of the people actually writing the infotainment UI.

Believe me, you can code crash-prone bug-ridden rubbish in any engine, Unity, Unreal or homebrew.

As someone who works in this field of 3D Art in videogames......this is incredibly unnecessary. Also, since they're using a generic engine/rendering system that is built for a variety of games, the engine has a lot of overhead when it comes to minimum system requirements/specs

Me too ..

Maybe GM management can also be hoodwinked into licensing the full Maya 3D suite x 100 seats .. as it will speed up the development of flat bitmap icons for the GM GUI !

Thank you, yes, I feel like you had the most posts about naked short selling during this period. Sooo informative and eye-opening, probably the single most important topic I have learned regarding investing.

And it's not just investing--the way the Financial Industry manipulates the mainstream media influences everybody's perception of reality. Sad to say, but reality for most people is the news. That's all we've got.

It's sad to think of all the (potentially great) companies that have been prematurely put to death by shortsighted greed.

You do realize UE4 runs on millions of mobile devices, right?

Yup and I know exactly what compromises developers have to do to run unreal based games on mobile devices, and there are still minimum requirements. Doesn't change what I'm saying though......there's built in overhead to run unreal engine....even with their built in device/platform settings.

For a car that obviously will never have built in game support, it's a ridiculous overhead and a waste of additional cost.

Big auto in 2020: "scaling back production and partnering so we can eliminate product lines since we aren't selling much"

Tesla: "were buying more machines to make more stuff to sell"

Big box from vigel headed for freemont just photographed going south on 280 from SF
IMG-20201011-WA0002.jpg

"Impact of Counterfeit Shares on Stock Price"

View attachment 597424

Securities hocus pocus allows MMs and hedgies to create millions of counterfeit shares. All is explained in the "Citizens for Securities Reform" White Paper Counterfeiting Stock 2.0

Also available as a 45 page PDF with Appendices.

Best TSLA-related read of 2020 (even though it was written years ago). Explains much (if not all).

Lodger #NakedShortSelling
Yes, agree. Mandatory reading for anyone who consumes any kind of news, IMHO.

Last edited:
Yup and I know exactly what compromises developers have to do to run unreal based games on mobile devices, and there are still minimum requirements. Doesn't change what I'm saying though......there's built in overhead to run unreal engine....even with their built in device/platform settings.

For a car that obviously will never have built in game support, it's a ridiculous overhead and a waste of additional cost.
We'll find out more on Oct 20th according to the article. I find this to be marketing hype and while I appreciate Fortnite and Epic and Unreal, implementation in a car, with a brand new platform with companies that don't have a vested interest in making a great in-car experience will most likely end in an overly complex slow UI. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it will be innovative.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM Using Epic Games' Unreal Engine For Hummer EV's Infotainment Graphics

Look forward to seeing what they come up with and how they execute. They are clearly following Tesla’s lead in at least recognizing the need for quality infotainment / cockpit activities / tech.

“The use of Unreal Engine in the GMC Hummer EV will provide richer graphics than ever before, celebrating the vehicle and its customers,” said Scott Martin, Creative Director of User Interface Design at GM. “We’re ecstatic to use Unreal Engine in our cockpit and look forward to sharing more details upon the vehicle’s reveal on October 20th.”

Wow, again, they "innovate" where they shouldn't and they will make another sub-par EV car.

GM to unveil Hummer all electric truck Oct 20th. This is in hope to compete withe the Cybertruck.
Hummer Electric Pickup - 2022 GMC Hummer SUV Specs, News, Photos

Summary based on the article, and collective specs spread around previously:
- 1000 HP, 0-60 around 3 sec
- 200 kWh battery, around 400 miles range
- Up to 3 motors
- Removable roof top. Can be removed by one person
- Has "Crab Mode", to allow to move diagonally
- Adjustable air suspension
- It will have the SUV version
- Production: Fall 2021
- Also, Benzinga mentions will open for pre-order Oct 20 as well.
I fully expect MSM to report it’s starting at $60k and have these “amazing” specs, but forgot to mention these spec are only available on the $150k “launch edition”.

Long thread from Karen to rebut the claims that Elon did not found Tesla.

https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1315375076460691456?s=21

and a response from Musk himself
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1315390031851257856?s=21

Sorry, disagree. And it really means very little in the grand scheme of things. But LITERAL definition, Elon did not found Tesla. But just like 'paper rockets' and the like, Tesla was NOTHING without Elon. It takes very little effort to make a corp. And Eberheart would not have turned Tesla into anything without Elon. It would have been just another failed start up with a good idea.

I am not sure why this is a badge of honor to so many people. It is unimportant. But jeez, Even Karen's own thread disproves the idea that Elon founded Tesla. Clearly the name and paperwork were filed before he was on the scene. That is what that word means. ELON MADE TESLA. But he did not found it.

Mod: We're not starting this argument again. Both sides have been presented, @KarenRei's twitter thread was worth reading, but no more discussion will be tolerated here. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Making public progress. In the last week I've had two friends talk to me about TSLA purchases:

a. Business owner, BMW driver, Trump supporter.
b. Retired social worker, confirmed Prius driver, Biden supporter.

Both had to tell me how comfortable they were with long term Tesla prospects...
I have had discussions with people who are Trump supporters as well. They have gone from 'hell no' to actually discussing the merits of technology, and very detailed specifics. For example, one truck driving friend would very much consider the Cybertruck now. He is worried about real world range and does not like the fact that the Cybertruck may be hard to side load, but LOVES the power outlets and closing cover.

I have had discussions with people who are Trump supporters as well. They have gone from 'hell no' to actually discussing the merits of technology, and very detailed specifics. For example, one truck driving friend would very much consider the Cybertruck now. He is worried about real world range and does not like the fact that the Cybertruck may be hard to side load, but LOVES the power outlets and closing cover.

Cybertruck is going to be the "it" car of the 2020s.

People who drive them, especially modded ones are going to have to answer Ferrari levels of questions every time they go out.

69304_01_here-best-mods-attachments-tesla-cybertruck.jpg

Its combination of durability, speed, and off-road ability will make it a grail car for many.

It will be all the excess of huge crawlers without worrying about putting Bangladeshi villages underwater from glacial melt.... the auto equivalent of having your cake and eating it too.

Aug 12, 2020:

People here STILL do not understand what Tesla achieved with its $5B Cap raise on Sep 01-04, 2020.

Naked Short Sellers (mostly TSLA Market Makers and counterfeiting Brokers) were FORCED to purchase about 11.0M shares (equivalent to 2.2M pre-split) in order to maintain their client positions.

Note that there were many, MANY, individual reports here on TMC where customers of various Broker's DID NOT received their dividend shares in a timely matter as required by the SEC. That should have been done by Mon, Aug 31, 2020 but instead customers got weak excuses and thinly veiled lies as to where their shares where (no, they weren't stuck in the mail).

It was not until Tesla released $5B in new shares that the share dividend squeeze started to abate (no, it wasn't the S&P nonsence). We'll likely know by the time Tesla releases the Q-10 for 2020Q3 (~Oct 28?) how many shares were issued from Tue-Fri, Sep 01-04 for the Cap raise. My prediction is (and was, per my Aug 12 comment above) that Tesla issued 2.2M shares at an ASP of $454 per share.

BONUS: $5B is likely the amount Tesla needs to complete the buildout of Gigafactory Texas, which was their only capital project which was not already fully funded (Giga Shanghai is non-recourse local debt from Chinese banks, and Giga Berlin is funded by €2B FCA Carbon credits).

The shorts and other cheaters didn't just hand over $5B to Tesla; they bought Tesla a MONEY PRINTING MACHINE the size of Texas. :D

Cheers!

I see this post of yours garnered one disagree (captkerosene) and sadly I have to agree with him.

The money printing machine in Texas, funded by short-sellers, is not the size of Texas - it's only 2100 acres. Of course that leaves plenty of room to add to it when necessary but I doubt it will ever be the size of Texas. :(

/s