Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be quite difficult for Tesla to monitor all users to verify that they aren't using FSD for commercial purposes, so I repeat my previous suggestion, a rental fee that is tied to the distance driven.
Well, anything on TN is a given and I don't know too many people that have a Semi as a daily driver. For the rest a simple check of mileage could be an indicator. Everyone that purchases it ahead of any change in policy will be grandfathered. But if they do move to two-tiered pricing they could put a right to cancel, limit mileage or add a surcharge for excessive use in a personal use agreement.

Reactions: Andy O
Some insightful perspective on this from someone every TSLA Long can appreciate:

Palihapitiya says election won't matter, stocks going higher next 4 years: 'You need to be long'

"Outspoken technology investor Chamath Palihapitiya said Wednesday that the Federal Reserve will have more influence over the markets in the next four years than whomever takes the White House in November.

“Irrespective of whether the Democrats or Republicans are in office, if you’re trying to generate returns you need to be long and you will probably get rewarded,” Social Capital Founder and Chief Executive Officer Chamath Palihapitiya said at the Delivering Alpha conference presented by CNBC and Institutional Investor.

“I think the markets are going higher,” Palihapitiya, an early Facebook executive, added. “I think the markets are going higher because I think the presidency and the impact of the presidency is being divorced from the economic future prosperity of America.”

While many investors are focusing on the outcome of the 2020 election between incumbent Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden. Wall Street generally sees President Trump as more pro-business; however, they don’t like his volatile relationship with China. Investors take issue with Biden’s plan to raise corporate taxes and tighten regulation.

Palihapitiya said either candidate will have a strong stock market.

“You have coupled monetary and fiscal policy, you have a Treasury and a Federal Reserve that are acting in lockstep and they are printing trillions of dollars and they will have more of an impact over what the next four years looks like,” the investor said. “You have rates at zero, you have absolutely no growth and so you are going to fuel asset price inflation.”

The Federal Reserve slashed interest rates to near zero in one of many efforts to shore up the economy that was reeling from the coronavirus shutdown. The central bank has also created programs to provide liquidity to needy companies.

“The Federal Reserve has explicitly told us that they’re not going to touch these rates until 2023 at the earliest and then even then they would rather let inflation run a little before they raise rates,” Palihapitiya said. “So what choice do we have, expect to find growth.”

“We have to go and find a way of pulling forward some growth and giving ordinary people access to good companies that grow fast,” added Palihapitiya.

The Social Capital CEO, who said he donated $1 million to the Democrats, said since the market’s future doesn’t hinge on the election, Americans will choose the more likable candidate.

“its a hot mess, and so they’re just going to vote for the person that they like,” said Palihapitiya"

p.s. - a sincere "Thank You!" to the TMC member who first shared the link to Episode #94 of The Knowledge Project with the Chamath Palihapitaya invterview. Absolutely riveting (as expected). Of particular interest to me was his discussion at 30:45 regarding the value of Observing the Present. Chamath makes a strong argument to which I have long fully agreed - that both sides of the aisle will follow a fairly similar path from a First Principles perspective. It is very much worth listening to again even if you have already heard it, as it is very relative to TSLA at this moment, so I will link it again.

As with his discussion in the CNBC interview linked at the beginning, this argument bodes very well for holding TSLA shares long. My next set of escalating GTC limit sells are set to trigger at $511, with plenty of shares still held in reserve for the very bright future many of us are expecting. Chamath is working hard to convince me to be even more patient with the current macroeconomic conditions than I have been, and to keep those TSLA shares under the mattress for another day.

My opinion - perhaps of little value and relevance, and thus 'not an advice'
The opinion of Chamath Palihapitiya on the heels of Q2 and Q3 TSLA earnings................Priceless

This has summarized my view point as well. Regardless of the winner of the election, at least TSLA, is on a trajectory that is clear, administration be damned.

Goodbuy people of this TMC.

My contribution was that I'm not in this investment field and so I got to provide unique perspectives, pulling from broad knowledge to help filter out nonsense, and share ideas and theories with you all - mostly to learn, spread the news, and have some fun. I came here to learn why the stock does what it does.

But the fun is gone now so I'm joining the ranks of Karen and Fact Checking it seems. I do not see myself at their level of knowledge or value to this forum (or planet), but I have similar feelings here I'm sure. Not that I don't sometimes get deep on this forum, but I the feeling of bullying and that affects my inner child. (My wife actually pointed that out - perceptive she is, my rock.) I'm in tears as I write this, but I think it's best.

It's been nice sharing with so many of you, but in reality this is a time sync, and so maybe we're all better for it and I get to quit wasting everyone's time. I do think the mods are trying harder now, and there is a lot of crap at all hours on this thread. I have considered that, but I also do think I've been targeted for deletion of anything OT. I can't write on eggshells, or told "Last warning" on my 420 post when it was my first actually, and on point. I'm getting this from 2 Moderators all within the past 2-3 weeks.

If anyone would like to follow up, ironically, my account name "SOULPEDL" is actually my product SoulPedal®, and it's for musicians (didn't see that coming huh?). Which puts this post way off topic, including my forum name that is breaking a rule from day one (swear I didn't know). I think it squeaked by bc it sound like alternative energy when in fact it's a wireless foot controller. But if we weren't a bunch of rulebreakers here, it wouldn't be Tesla now would it?

420.69 was the share price that I paid last week for 50 shares, and it was very close to the low. I do think there is a social phenomenon here with 420, and I shouldn't feel like I'm running around naked when I refer to this number in earnest. Further, I conspire that this was an agreed upon number by powerful organizations to fix a price. Maybe for S&P IDK, but kinda silly to make it a swear word here. Are we forgetting who's at the helm?

Take care everyone, I will be reading. Come check me out at NAMM (someday?) when you get a chance. Funding for this product was brought to you by TSLA which makes it twice as sweet. Dreams being made on this forum, everywhere. And whatever you see on my channel or website is a toy compared to the power and customization today - secret still. I'm really excited and think I should focus more on that and quit spending every hour watching the SP. Maybe a suggestion for others too.

Cheers!
[email protected]

Are the mods stone minded/decisive about this? Is there no way we could convince them otherwise?
Although I do agree about spending too much watching the TSLA ticker.

Enjoyed reading your posts

It’s been fairly obvious for a while: legacy automakers (a.k.a. the Traditionals) who have not, as of yet, made a clear and strong decision to transition their business to EVs — meaning, a significant increase in their R&D budgets and large investments towards battery manufacturing, along with Gen. 1 or 2 EVs already in production — have TWO choices:
1. Produce competitive EVs — hehe! No, that was a joke, it’s too late to start now!
2. Merge with others in a similar situation, hoping that by pooling human, engineering and financial resources they can come up with some semi-convincing products and somehow survive.
3. Die.

Watch it unfold! Popcorn is recommended, but beer works too.

This has summarized my view point as well. Regardless of the winner of the election, at least TSLA, is on a trajectory that is clear, administration be damned.

There is one potential outcome that I'm bearish on for its potential to stymie any economic recovery legislation - D pres/R senate. Wouldn't cause me to sell anything though.

Sold a weekly $380 put for some dinner money. Have a limit order in to buy more shares $410. Bought some more ARKK (kind of TSLA related).

I'm waiting to see what happens if we close below the 50MA today.

Reactions: phantasms
What is the 50MA for today?

$420, give or take a few cents.

I'm also waiting to see what happens with stimulus negotiations. There is a call scheduled between the WH/Pelosi at 11AM PST. Passage pre-election is pretty much a no-go it seems, but if the WH and the House can agree on something, the markets might rally for a little while.

I think this is fair game for this forum given its importance to the markets, but these types of posts have been nuked recently (even though it's really non-political in nature). If this post is also removed, I'll know not to bother sharing this information/speculation on here anymore.

There have been so many potentially catastrophic suspension failures here in the US (and elsewhere) that I posit that it is only a question of time before there's a major accident from an MS or MX suspension failure.
Sorry, I am not familiar with this issue. Can you please cite some sort of factual reference on this. Are Tesla's suspension failures unusual in some way? Do they have more of them than other manufacturers? Are the consequences more serious? Have there been recalls?

My experience with Tesla is that they take action before anything is mandated by government safety people if there's even a whiff of danger. Yours seems to be the opposite.

Some insightful perspective on this from someone every TSLA Long can appreciate:

Palihapitiya says election won't matter, stocks going higher next 4 years: 'You need to be long'

"Outspoken technology investor Chamath Palihapitiya said Wednesday that the Federal Reserve will have more influence over the markets in the next four years than whomever takes the White House in November.

“Irrespective of whether the Democrats or Republicans are in office, if you’re trying to generate returns you need to be long and you will probably get rewarded,” Social Capital Founder and Chief Executive Officer Chamath Palihapitiya said at the Delivering Alpha conference presented by CNBC and Institutional Investor.

“I think the markets are going higher,” Palihapitiya, an early Facebook executive, added. “I think the markets are going higher because I think the presidency and the impact of the presidency is being divorced from the economic future prosperity of America.”

While many investors are focusing on the outcome of the 2020 election between incumbent Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden. Wall Street generally sees President Trump as more pro-business; however, they don’t like his volatile relationship with China. Investors take issue with Biden’s plan to raise corporate taxes and tighten regulation.

Palihapitiya said either candidate will have a strong stock market.

“You have coupled monetary and fiscal policy, you have a Treasury and a Federal Reserve that are acting in lockstep and they are printing trillions of dollars and they will have more of an impact over what the next four years looks like,” the investor said. “You have rates at zero, you have absolutely no growth and so you are going to fuel asset price inflation.”

The Federal Reserve slashed interest rates to near zero in one of many efforts to shore up the economy that was reeling from the coronavirus shutdown. The central bank has also created programs to provide liquidity to needy companies.

“The Federal Reserve has explicitly told us that they’re not going to touch these rates until 2023 at the earliest and then even then they would rather let inflation run a little before they raise rates,” Palihapitiya said. “So what choice do we have, expect to find growth.”

“We have to go and find a way of pulling forward some growth and giving ordinary people access to good companies that grow fast,” added Palihapitiya.

The Social Capital CEO, who said he donated $1 million to the Democrats, said since the market’s future doesn’t hinge on the election, Americans will choose the more likable candidate.

“its a hot mess, and so they’re just going to vote for the person that they like,” said Palihapitiya"

p.s. - a sincere "Thank You!" to the TMC member who first shared the link to Episode #94 of The Knowledge Project with the Chamath Palihapitaya invterview. Absolutely riveting (as expected). Of particular interest to me was his discussion at 30:45 regarding the value of Observing the Present. Chamath makes a strong argument to which I have long fully agreed - that both sides of the aisle will follow a fairly similar path from a First Principles perspective. It is very much worth listening to again even if you have already heard it, as it is very relative to TSLA at this moment, so I will link it again.

As with his discussion in the CNBC interview linked at the beginning, this argument bodes very well for holding TSLA shares long. My next set of escalating GTC limit sells are set to trigger at $511, with plenty of shares still held in reserve for the very bright future many of us are expecting. Chamath is working hard to convince me to be even more patient with the current macroeconomic conditions than I have been, and to keep those TSLA shares under the mattress for another day.

My opinion - perhaps of little value and relevance, and thus 'not an advice'
The opinion of Chamath Palihapitiya on the heels of Q2 and Q3 TSLA earnings................Priceless
"Man With 20 SPAC IPO's Upbeat On Markets!"

$420, give or take a few cents.

I'm also waiting to see what happens with stimulus negotiations. There is a call scheduled between the WH/Pelosi at 11AM PST. Passage pre-election is pretty much a no-go it seems, but if the WH and the House can agree on something, the markets might rally for a little while.

I think this is fair game for this forum given its importance to the markets, but these types of posts have been nuked recently (even though it's really non-political in nature). If this post is also removed, I'll know not to bother sharing this information/speculation on here anymore.
Mitch McConnell doesn't want a huge relief package and a vote on what Mnuchin and Pelosi agree upon won't even happen in the Senate if it's after Nov 3.

I suggest giving up on COVID relief as a short-term booster for TSLA.

My contribution was that I'm not in this investment field and so I got to provide unique perspectives, pulling from broad knowledge to help filter out nonsense, and share ideas and theories with you all - mostly to learn, spread the news, and have some fun. I came here to learn why the stock does what it does.

But the fun is gone now so I'm joining the ranks of Karen and Fact Checking it seems. I do not see myself at their level of knowledge or value to this forum (or planet), but I have similar feelings here I'm sure. Not that I don't sometimes get deep on this forum, but I the feeling of bullying and that affects my inner child. (My wife actually pointed that out - perceptive she is, my rock.) I'm in tears as I write this, but I think it's best.

It's been nice sharing with so many of you, but in reality this is a time sync, and so maybe we're all better for it and I get to quit wasting everyone's time. I do think the mods are trying harder now, and there is a lot of crap at all hours on this thread. I have considered that, but I also do think I've been targeted for deletion of anything OT. I can't write on eggshells, or told "Last warning" on my 420 post when it was my first actually, and on point. I'm getting this from 2 Moderators all within the past 2-3 weeks.

If anyone would like to follow up, ironically, my account name "SOULPEDL" is actually my product SoulPedal®, and it's for musicians (didn't see that coming huh?). Which puts this post way off topic, including my forum name that is breaking a rule from day one (swear I didn't know). I think it squeaked by bc it sound like alternative energy when in fact it's a wireless foot controller. But if we weren't a bunch of rulebreakers here, it wouldn't be Tesla now would it?

420.69 was the share price that I paid last week for 50 shares, and it was very close to the low. I do think there is a social phenomenon here with 420, and I shouldn't feel like I'm running around naked when I refer to this number in earnest. Further, I conspire that this was an agreed upon number by powerful organizations to fix a price. Maybe for S&P IDK, but kinda silly to make it a swear word here. Are we forgetting who's at the helm?

Take care everyone, I will be reading. Come check me out at NAMM (someday?) when you get a chance. Funding for this product was brought to you by TSLA which makes it twice as sweet. Dreams being made on this forum, everywhere. And whatever you see on my channel or website is a toy compared to the power and customization today - secret still. I'm really excited and think I should focus more on that and quit spending every hour watching the SP. Maybe a suggestion for others too.

Cheers!
[email protected]

Sorry to hear all that, John. TBH I thought we'd mostly become self-moderating over the last months, but maybe it's no longer the case.

Good luck with the pedal, neat idea!

Most of all, take care of yourself and loved ones. Cheers, Dave

Cheers!
[email protected]
Please keep posting when you have time. When I’m speed scrolling through, trying to catch up when I’m way behind, I always stop to read what you have to say. I know it’s disheartening to get posts deleted. I wish the mods could figure out how not to alienate highly valued members.

I've made the rare change of actually reaching out to friends/family that I know and suggest to them that if they were still interested in buying Tesla stock, now is the time to do it. I usually always refrain from doing that because I inherently feel some guilt for a stock's performance if I were to suggest it to a friend/family.....even if I make them very aware of the downside risks and the timeline they should need to hold the stock for. It creates anxiety for myself. And Tesla is volatile and I try to recognize that because experienced or hardened investors can handle the Tesla rollercoaster.....everyday investors not necessarily.

I know the entire market is taking a dump today and fully understand the reasons why.......but man this valuation for Tesla is absurdly cheap when you factor in the earnings + the potential.

Q3 earnings are deceptively great......and the fact that so many seem to not understand why is like having a golden ticket. When Elon's pay package drops off and the combination of higher FSD revenue recognition and higher FSD take rate, earnings are going to explode higher. Tesla's P/E is going to go from expensive to cheap in the matter of a quarter or 2...but most likely a quarter.

And the fact that Tesla is pushing out FSD beta build updates in days instead of weeks makes me a lot more bullish that the rate of improvement is going to surprise.

Taken all together, I would feel worse not talking friends and family and having them miss out on a impending big rally vs talking to them and Tesla temporarily going down and feeling guilty.