Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a great conservative, fiscally responsible moral high ground it would be for Tesla to refuse subsidies and lobby for discontinuing fossil fuel subsidies instead to stifle the naysayers saying Tesla exists because of subsidies and credits! Wouldn't this make just about everyone happy politically except some ICE manufacturers who seem destined to fail anyway?
Let’s actually increase EV subsidy to be equivalent to oil and gas and then reduce them together. Couple ten billion a year ?

What a great conservative, fiscally responsible moral high ground it would be for Tesla to refuse subsidies and lobby for discontinuing fossil fuel subsidies instead to stifle the naysayers saying Tesla exists because of subsidies and credits! Wouldn't this make just about everyone happy politically except some ICE manufacturers who seem destined to fail anyway?
Tesla lobbying for an end of fossil fuel subsidies would be like talking into a vacuum: No one would hear them. Mostly a waste of time.

It would also not make everybody happy. That's a total pipedream. The mission isn't about making everyone happy, it's about accelerating the world's transition to renewable energy.

IMO, Tesla should forget trying to achieve the highest point on a theoretical moral ground and keep their eye on the ball. I'm not saying the end justifies any means, but it's more important than the means. If subsidies are again offered, use them as a weapon to advance the cause.

Tesla lobbying for an end of fossil fuel subsidies would be like talking into a vacuum: No one would hear them. Mostly a waste of time.

It would also not make everybody happy. That's a total pipedream. The mission isn't about making everyone happy, it's about accelerating the world's transition to renewable energy.

IMO, Tesla should forget trying to achieve the highest point on a theoretical moral ground and keep their eye on the ball. I'm not saying the end justifies any means, but it's more important than the means. If subsidies are again offered, use them as a weapon to advance the cause.

This is getting dangerously close to on topic - but for one thing Tesla did not receive EV purchase subsidies- the buyers received a federal tax credit. Moreover, Elon Musk has repeatedly called for an end to subsidies and for imposing a carbon tax.

Folks, cleanse your mind of politics for 12 minutes and watch Elon’s talk on climate change. Carbon tax is discussed half way through. Makes sense to me.

Tesla doesn't need to refuse subsidies in order to lobby for discontinuation of fossil fuel subsidies in good conscience. Subsidizing the transition to sustainable energy is logical. Subsidizing something that comes at great cost to all is illogical.

Despite probably not having the senate, Tesla will still gain a more positive environment under a potential Biden Presidency:

- A Biden administration will control an EPA that supports states clean air standards for vehicles (unlike the current administration that is fighting States in court)
- America will likely rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement
- Their still exists the chance that a republican senate supports an EV credit extension, not for teslas sake - but due to the fact GM also doesn't have access either, and at some point even Ford will run out and it will only be foreign manufactures selling EVs that have access to it and no US politician will want that. Worth noting Texas Senators now have a reason to support EV tax credits for Tesla due to the new Austin factory Jobs.
- Biden has a green jobs agenda, and commands the vast resources of the federal government to make the environment better through regulations & executive orders for green tech companies like Tesla, despite not having control of senate. For example I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of mandate that new federal vehicle fleets must increasingly be EVs.

Despite probably not having the senate, Tesla will still gain a more positive environment under a potential Biden Presidency:

- A Biden administration will control an EPA that supports states clean air standards for vehicles (unlike the current administration that is fighting States in court)
- America will likely rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement
- Their still exists the chance that a republican senate supports an EV credit extension, not for teslas sake - but due to the fact GM also doesn't have access either, and at some point even Ford will run out and it will only be foreign manufactures selling EVs that have access to it and no US politician will want that. Worth noting Texas Senators now have a reason to support EV tax credits for Tesla due to the new Austin factory Jobs.
- Biden has a green jobs agenda, and commands the vast resources of the federal government to make the environment better through regulations & executive orders for green tech companies like Tesla, despite not having control of senate. For example I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of mandate that new federal vehicle fleets must increasingly be EVs.

The drop in green tech stocks due to a biden lead seems to be counter intuitive. It smells of manipulation. Will be a buyer.

In general, I am switching into growth buy mode. Clean energy and tech and letting go of cash generation and also funneling all cash generated in that direction. This will probably be the macro environment going forward if it is a Biden win.

Morning folks!

So, rinse-repeat of yesterday? $345 was the sticky number in pre-market and the day high, until manips started to have their wicked way with the stock...

In other news: NV and AV should call for Biden today, putting him over the line. PA and GA I expect also to swing to Biden, making it a very clear victory. NC looks like Trump might hold on.

Hopefully we get enough of these resolved today to get a winner (pending desperate, unconstitutional litigation).

upload_2020-11-5_8-54-2.png

In other news, Belgium (world record holder of confirmed covid case incidence) seems to have reached its current covid peak, with cases and hospitalizations going slightly down. It still remains to be seen whether we will have enough ICU beds, as these numbers lag by 2 weeks.
The relevance for TSLA is that probably no stronger lockdown measures will be needed, and that the port of Zeebrugge should remain operational for the ro-ro ships that bring the Model 3’s to Europe.

In other news, Belgium (world record holder of confirmed covid case incidence) seems to have reached its current covid peak, with cases and hospitalizations going slightly down. It still remains to be seen whether we will have enough ICU beds, as these numbers lag by 2 weeks.
The relevance for TSLA is that probably no stronger lockdown measures will be needed, and that the port of Zeebrugge should remain operational for the ro-ro ships that bring the Model 3’s to Europe.

Indeed, the drop-off in new cases in recent days has been dramatic, long before any soft-lockdown will have influenced, as this started essentially beginning of this week. However, it would correlate with the start of the school break, which started Friday 24th October and has subsequently been extended a further week, this fits nicely with the typical 2-week incubation period for C19.

Incidentally, the second-wave of C19 also fits with the restart of the school-year and specifically the return to in-situ teaching in the schools.

upload_2020-11-5_9-12-6.png

The drop in green tech stocks due to a biden lead seems to be counter intuitive. It smells of manipulation. Will be a buyer.

In general, I am switching into growth buy mode. Clean energy and tech and letting go of cash generation and also funneling all cash generated in that direction. This will probably be the macro environment going forward if it is a Biden win.

Clearly you're not concerned about further 'rona lockdowns resulting in some instability and possible buying opportunities during the winter. Why? Looks to me as far as events that can push stocks in one direction or another, we got all the positive outcomes just now, and the kinda stocks you're talking about have already jumped pretty far. I'm not trying to question your action, just want to understand. I'm mostly all in anyway but whatever dry powder I have, I'm planning to only use it if there's a 'rona related buying opportunity.

Reactions: kbM3

I really strongly hope Tesla does not invest any (more?) time and resources into lobbying. Lobbyists are the bane of the global political system and should be banned!

Case in point: the fact that FSD in Europe is hobbled compared to the US is all about legacy ICE lobbying the EU since they cannot compete.

I really strongly hope Tesla does not invest any (more?) time and resources into lobbying. Lobbyists are the bane of the global political system and should be banned!

Case in point: the fact that FSD in Europe is hobbled compared to the US is all about legacy ICE lobbying the EU since they cannot compete.

Wouldn't it make sense to invest more time and money in lobbying (instead of less), now that the lobby by EU competitors against autonomous driving has proven effective?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the likelihood of such a move being interpreted as "Tesla already got their money. Now they want to deny it to their competition." is extremely high. The FUD will never end.

Dan