Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the most likely scenario is they stick with inclusion within their original guidance. But what is your rational that Christmas is some kind of wall? Personally, I think their desire for consistency with their original guidance would be the primary guiding force, not some arbitrary Christmas wall. The desire to remain consistent with their original guidance is why I think this is only slim possibility (even if worth considering before placing leveraged bets on narrow timeframes).

I'm catching up - sorry if done to death/sorted/illuminated..

I agree that it's a slim possibility that would annoy me in the short term, but it might backfire if Tesla marketcap grows after Q4, Berlin, Texas, China Model Y, even Starship/Starlink good news.

The risk isn't with HODL but with options/bets. It'll sort itself out over time as Tesla executes. Those that thrive on volatility will no doubt have a lot to work on in the next few weeks whatever happens. Good luck to all Tesla investors/supporters.

I'll describe the simple strategy and ignore your "give me" sarcasm:
Step 1: Buy your first shares in this strategy and hold until the shares double in price. Now sell 50% of those shares. The remaining shares are now all zero bases as you have pulled your basis out and bought something that has real use to improve your life. Rinse-Repeat if you want.
Step 2 begin to trade half of those remaining shares on the buy low sell high moves. The timing is not important because with zero commission you could be trading several times a day as the market swings in small increments several times a day. Just follow the timing for the day and be sure your trades execute with market delays that won't make those trades at a loss due to short cycle timing. At best I average two moves a day when working a stock. The big boys can do this several times a minute.

This works really well in a flat market with small swings. It is boring to claim you made a hundred $ in a day on a stock but when you do this eventually every day it adds up, you'll have enough to be long on a hundred shares where you can sell weekly covered calls and collect more cash to buy more shares.
So now you combine the strategies to build share count even faster. But always maintain a long position in 50% of your shares if the company is growing. If that ever changes, then sell out the long position as well.

This isn't my strategy it is described by Jim Cramer and several others who have been at this successfully longer than me. But it worked for me as all my stocks have been at zero basis now for 3 years. I've been at this for 13 years since retiring from my business in TV advertising.

I've been learning from this thread about LEAPS for those long held positions. I need to do some what-if games to see if the risk / reward is worth it. At any rate, I would only do them on 50% of my long blocks of shares. I see they are safer with the SPY because of diversity as opposed to a single company. So many stock Bulls never look at the what-if it goes bad. I examine both and why. What if Musk should leave Tesla? And his replacement is like Steve Balmer at Microsoft, there are many examples like this. But LEAPS in the SPY would be balanced with diversity- No?
I find this point interesting:
"So many stock Bulls never look at the what-if"...

Some of us hamstring ourselves into inaction by fixating on all the negative what-if's; the devil is in having to apply our own weighted values to each what-if through the lens of our own prejudices and experiences with calculated risks - and therein be the dragons.

But what I find fascinating is that those of us with uninvested cash just sitting there don't realistically weigh the 100% certainty that it's rate of return is always about zero.

Speaking as a former penny-chaser in front of the bulldozer (a great learning experience, however!), if I was @TravelFree, I'd buy a nice jan 2023, $900 strike LEAP and see what happens; it will likely change your perspective and my personal bullish leaning is that it's hard to go very wrong with a LEAP.

I find this point interesting:
"So many stock Bulls never look at the what-if"...

Some of us hamstring ourselves into inaction by fixating on all the negative what-if's; the devil is in having to apply our own weighted values to each what-if through the lens of our own prejudices and experiences with calculated risks - and therein be the dragons.

But what I find fascinating is that those of us with uninvested cash just sitting there don't realistically weigh the 100% certainty that it's rate of return is always about zero.

Speaking as a former penny-chaser in front of the bulldozer (a great learning experience, however!), if I was @TravelFree, I'd buy a nice jan 2023, $900 strike LEAP and see what happens; it will likely change your perspective and my personal bullish leaning is that it's hard to go very wrong with a LEAP.

Are you selling those LEAPs? ;) /s

Reactions: UncaNed
Regarding the fears of a Tesla that sinks after inclusion hurting the S&P500. TSLA will only be 1-1.5% of the index as of now. If it were added today and went to zero, that's a 1% drop. A bad day but hardly catastrophic.
Are you selling those LEAPs? ;) /s
I will in 2 weeks when the SP hits 1k. ;)

66355013-0FAE-4930-A6FE-61386E6F1BA6.png

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1330982572038500355?s=21

Not the first time and not the last time this will be used :D

Long and Strong.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: CarlS and Paul_SF