Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Business here in Germany is going really well, it seems.

2 weeks ago I ordered another M3 (and last week an MS Plaid). The order page said Feb2021 delivery. Yesterday I got a call that I could take delivery this year if I wish.

So my new M3 has a tentative delivery date of Dec. 24, which is remarkable because that evening is when the Germans celebrate Christmas - you know: presents, nice food, a Christmas tree etc.

So my Christmas present this year is from Tesla (and hopefully next year‘s Christmas as well.

Happy for you :)! However, why would an early delivery point to business going well?

Just had a sudden realization about robototaxis.

As someone who doesn't really need the extra income, and lives somewhere rural (not exactly an uber service in all these fields) I had always assumed that robotaxi would be useless for me, and people like me, who live in super-low density locations/.
But no.
EVERYONE in my village drives, as we have one bus per day (so yeah...there is ONE guy who uses it, he is the only one), and we all have cars. But actually, there are probably quite a few people using their car maybe once or twice a week maximum. Many are retired, and a lot of us get shopping delivered anyway. So unlike a city where our cars are 90% not being used, here its more like 99% unused...

If I could allow my robotaxi to be used only by a pre-selected list of people, I'd likely do it as a community service. Some old lady who lives a few doors from me and needs the car twice a week to pop to the nearby town to meet her friends... I'm fine with that. Why not?

Everyone focuses on the city-scenario where owning a car is inconvenient and robotaxi is the new uber. Thats true, but robotaxi could also be the new rural-car-club.
Ding ding ding!!! Absolutely a giving public mode of transportation doesn’t have to be profitable to be in service or useful. Already cities and townships have subsidized transportation for the elderly/ lower income/ health dependent individuals at a loss for the city. You are absolutely right as a community service it will be ultra popular rural or not.

VW CEO Diess talks openly about the challenges ahead for VW (and legacy auto industry).
He knows that VW needs to massively transform within the next 10 years, or they'll cease to exist. They try to catch up to Tesla by 2024.
How we transform Volkswagen

Or if you want to watch SMRs (Solving the money problem) take on it:

IMO VW has a chance to do ok in the next decade.
This is only true if Diess keeps his job, but that's not certain. There are many conflicting interests from powerful forces within VW.

At a price. True AI goes beyond cars, could include all transport, customer service interactions, physical work (farming, lawns, personal care). The Total Addressable Market is big (everything, almost?).

Not sure if you guys have had your car in for service recently (or ever) but mine is right now. I called the service center number and it recognized the number I called from and that my car was in service and it informed me of the status. Pretty slick, I was impressed. I remember reading that they developed their service center software in-house to cater to their unique needs but I cant find the article. Tesla really is like 15-20 startup companies combined into 1.

I'm sure you guys already know this but I haven't looked specifically at the 'competition', my son who cant drive yet is really interested in BEV's and we were looking for alternative to a Tesla just for comparison/research/stats (you know how you were when you were a kid and asked 100x questions about cars and had posters on your walls :D).
Other vehicle manufacturers really are 5-10 years behind Tesla and Tesla isn't even a car company. :p The more I see all the facets of Tesla (innovation, vision, production) the more money I put into my HODL account. ;)

‘Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche?’

Today's reminder that only Tesla takes the charging network seriously and none of the traditional automakers seem to get how important that is. Tesla has the most obvious and basic advantage imaginable over the others, the ability to drive the car further than a single full charge, and no one else cares.

Also The Guardian pretending Tesla didn't exist is funny, but they have been famously anti-Elon for many years now. I wonder if the people of the UK know how much their media is destructive to their nation's interests. Their media is worse than the American media IMO.

You mean where I included this caveat (see Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable)? "About the only effect I can see it might have is that if all stockholders have to engage in some moderate paperwork (by way of their brokers) then it could leave shorts in a tricky position. I have no idea what that might be. Worth considering, but probably meaningless."

From what happened I conclude that the paperwork ended up flushing out any naked shorts, thus eliminating some large unknown number of shares. But that remains a guess. Do you actually know anything about why TSLA went up so much after the split? I haven't heard anything explaining why the shares became more valuable. But I know that a split still changes nothing meaningful because it can't.

It was discussed at length why the SP was likely to rise and did so much, beyond the discussions of naked short sellers. You missed the human part of it; arguably the most important factor.

‘Why did it take nine hours to go 130 miles in our new electric Porsche?’

Today's reminder that only Tesla takes the charging network seriously and none of the traditional automakers seem to get how important that is. Tesla has the most obvious and basic advantage imaginable over the others, the ability to drive the car further than a single full charge, and no one else cares.

Alternate Universe:

Early 1900's OEM's: "Gas stations? We don't need those, people will figure it out. Not our problem."
Early 1900's GasTesla: "Uh, we're going build gas stations for our cars so they can go places."

Anyone familiar with Ben Felix? Thought his latest video on technological revolutions and investing was pretty relevant to Tesla and the EV market. Anyone smarter than me want to make some sense of it in relation to expectations for TSLA?

I know everyone here is pretty bullish with TSLA but I like to look at alternative view points to make sure I am still making the right decision to stay invested in TSLA. One could easily make the argument that this explains the rise in a stock like Nikola.

Business here in Germany is going really well, it seems.

2 weeks ago I ordered another M3 (and last week an MS Plaid). The order page said Feb2021 delivery. Yesterday I got a call that I could take delivery this year if I wish.

So my new M3 has a tentative delivery date of Dec. 24, which is remarkable because that evening is when the Germans celebrate Christmas - you know: presents, nice food, a Christmas tree etc.

So my Christmas present this year is from Tesla (and hopefully next year‘s Christmas as well.
Congrats! I got my Model 3 on Christmas Eve in 2017. Still wonderful. Got my new Model S the next week on New Year's Eve. I'm hoping that this year's Christmas present will be V11 firmware with the new full self driving beta included.

Anyone else wondering how short and longer term demand will hold up with just two very similar models responsible for all growth?

For Europe I first thought that everything was sold out this quarter as they moved delivery in the design center to February. Now it seems that the inventory list has been flooded with all types of configurations in transit. In addition I have received a few emails advertising this suggesting that they are trying to push sales. Still a month left in the quarter so I guess they could sell out.

By next year they will likely produce twice the number of cars still with mostly 3/Y. If they keep the prices at these levels with no discounts and only minor changes for the 2022 model I wonder if they will be able to sell 400,000 cars. Cybertruck to the rescue I guess?
So your saying there is a demand problem?

Some cat on this site would be interested in that.

It was discussed at length why the SP was likely to rise and did so much, beyond the discussions of naked short sellers. You missed the human part of it; arguably the most important factor.
I didn't miss the human part. I explicitly discounted it. That's pretty easy to do on the basis of the many examples of splits that caused nothing whatsoever to happen. It's a mistake to confuse discussions with any actual contribution to knowledge. Most discussions here contribute nothing. I offer as an example the current discussion of car seats for robotaxis.

So do you have any knowledge of why TSLA went up so much after the split was announced? I don't. Does it explain why it suddenly stopped going up as soon as the split happened?

Assuming legacy automakers either can’t ramp EV production by 2030, or if some of the legacy automakers no longer exist by that time then who will fill the EV production gap?

Perhaps some of the newcomers like Nio, Lucid, or Rivian. But why not Tesla?

Is the 20M production number target set in stone? I realize Tesla has an existing goal and strategy, but those can be adjusted as needed to address future opportunities and challenges.

Who better to ramp production beyond 20M than Tesla?

I mean- either you believe Elon or you don't.

He told us on BD the reason they're dumping all these resources into batteries and doing tons of stuff nobody else is doing is, they hope, if they perfectly execute everything on multiple fronts, to reach 20 million a year production on or before 2030.

That everyone else was so far behind, and so slow to do anything to ramp battery production, that this was the only path to scaling production with any speed at all.

Even then he said it'd require "consistently excellent execution" by Tesla to get to that 20 million goal on or before 2030. I expect they can certainly do that- but seems unlikely they'd somehow magically get WAY past that goal vastly sooner than even Elon says they can.

Doubtless if everyone else is still dragging along making crap they'll continue trying to ramp well beyond that in future years... but if you believe Elon they're going to have to have other car makers step up quite a lot for those imagining 50% EVs among new car sales in 10 years.

And mostly those guys besides not being ready on the car front, aren't remotely ready or even seriously working toward being ready, on the battery front.

Ford is still debating if having ANY battery production at all makes sense for them.

GM is working on ONE plant that in another year or two might produce 15-20% less cells than GF-Nevada will produce this year.

Toyota is hoping, in another 2 years, to open a plant to make batteries for hybrids- not even full EVs.

Hyundai is recently in "talks" about the idea of building A battery factory eventually...maybe...

VW, the guys who insist they are taking EVs VERY SERIOUSLY FOR REAL are building A battery plant in Germany... they expect it will open late 2023 to early 2024 with an initial production less than half what GF-N does in 2020, and they hope to expand that to about 2/3rds what GF-N did in 2020.

As I say this bumbling incompetence on the part of legacy is excellent for Tesla investors... but not so great for folks who keep thinking other companies are just gonna start churning out millions of EVs anytime soon.

That's funny. Because S&P snubbed Tesla by not including them when they were clearly eligible, then they realized they were in a pickle that was getting worse with each passing profitable quarter. Better late than never, but they basically proved they needed Tesla more than Tesla needed them. Elon has made it clear that he doesn't hold these types in very high regard.
Bizarre. You claim you have some knowledge of the motivations and feelings of the S&P 500 committee members? In truth you have no idea why they did what they did. You are just inventing stuff here to fit your narrative. You are also claiming to know how Elon feels, which is nonsense. All you know about is what he's said, not his motivations. And you provide no citation for what statement "made it clear that he doesn't hold these types in very high regard." I don't believe you. You provide no support for what you say and your track record is awful.

You are mistaking TSLA for Tesla.
No. I wrote exactly what I meant. Tesla in two cases and TSLA in one. Once again you are pretending to know what other people mean when you have no idea. Try responding to what people say rather than what you imagine they mean.

People said the S&P needed TSLA more than Tesla needed the S&P. One is a company, the other is the ticker symbol used to buy/sell company shares. While S&P 500 inclusion is creating increased demand for their shares following this announcement, no one on this forum said it wouldn't. But it only matters if you are planning to sell. By delaying inclusion, S&P has done a disservice to all the funds that track the S&P 500 Index who's index funds have missed out on the same gains the index missed out on by not including Tesla when they were clearly eligible. Meanwhile, Tesla (the company) continues to soldier on making the best EV's on the planet.
People here were hugely anticipatory of S&P inclusion throughout August and into early September, then they turned bitter when TSLA wasn't included in the index at that time, and (in general) ranted about how irrelevant the S&P 500 was becoming and how Tesla didn't need them. The rest of this has nothing to do with what I wrote and you responded to.

All of this simply demonstrates how people, including people here, aren't particularly rational or consistent. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:rolleyes:

Realist?

Tesla re-invent batteries for a reason.

The get CATL, Panasonic and LG Chem to join them and build batteries for Teslas need.

There wont be enough for anyone else by 2030..

There wont be enough raw materials.

watch batteryday, and listen to chartcast with Joe Lowry

Joe Lowry on Lithium Mining & Battery Day

New mines take time. Tesla is the only one doing anything to speed up this, and they buy all batteries the big 3 can produce and then some.

You cannot convince me so easily that other players will not get involved. Big players. Trillions of dollars roaming around the world looking to invest and they will not find themselves into the economy of the future?

I have heard the raw material argument used before. All it really means is that there has to be a market and profit.

Let’s mark this and revisit in a year.

BTW, I am betting on Tesla. Have been for years. I was optimistic.

Have we reached the top of this runup at 598 yesterday? I believe we have not, if you compare it to the other runups we had this year.

- All of those tops were a blow off top: 965 pre-split in January, 1796 pre-split in July, 498 post-split in August (if you count the 540 in premarket the next day). There was always a big rise on the day the blowoff top was reached. We have not seen that yet in the current runup.

- The previous run ups had a volume spike or at least a high volume on the day of the blow off top. Yesterday’s volume was much lower than the two days before (although the half day of trading after Thanksgiving was ofcourse a major cause).

- It does not yet feel like crazy exuberance, which we did see at the end of most of the other run ups. It still feels like controlled buying pressure, no panic buying.

All these things give me the feeling that this wasn’t the top.

No advice.

You are right that it does not feel like irrational exuberance. Everyone on non-tesla specific investing boards are calling this an 'obvious bubble', which actually gives me more confidence that the run-up may be much larger than people are expecting and that the possible dip post-Dec 21 won't be as big as people are expecting.
I would be more concerned if everyone on /r/investing and /r/stocks was saying TSLA is an obvious investment choice.

Personally, it's Apple I question the value of. Phone hardware is becoming commodity (how many pixels do you need in your image. Really.) And they don't get "it's the information, stupid" as well as Google. I know the vast majority will disagree with me on this (yeah, about $2T disagree!) Not an Apple hater. I just don't think they have done paradigm shift design in years. My $0.02 worth.

Apple doesn't need to do a paradigm shift. They need to hold back improvements to create buying cycles every year.

Our household changes 4 iPhones every year with the Apple upgrade program. They also get us on watches, apps, iCloud subscriptions, iPads.

5G cycle though is substantial enough to have a strong runway through 2021.

Will return less than TSLA but AAPL is the highest yielding "bond" ever.

... or MAGNET :p
  • MSFT
  • APPL
  • GOOGL
  • NFLX
  • ETSY
  • TSLA
Cheers!

I prefer S&P T499

Tesla and 499 top performing friends. ;)

I thought AMZN, AAPL and TSLA were different. So far they still are. If one day they show signs of complacency I hope I see it soon enough to sell. I really don't think any of them will have that happen anytime soon. From my view I think they'll survive the eventual absence of Bezos and Musk, just as Jobs demise led to greater successes.

Steve Jobs was a dynamic leader who built an amazing company. He has only been gone 9 years so it's too soon to say with any certainty that handing the torch to Tim Cook has led to greater successes. Steve Jobs once said, "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower". I believe it's possible to coast for 9 years on the coat tails of an innovative leader like Jobs. Look at your other tales of corporate demise. How long did it take for those companies to fail after their innovation left them? A lot longer than 9 years!

Last edited:
I mean- either you believe Elon or you don't.

He told us on BD the reason they're dumping all these resources into batteries and doing tons of stuff nobody else is doing is, they hope, if they perfectly execute everything on multiple fronts, to reach 20 million a year production on or before 2030.

That everyone else was so far behind, and so slow to do anything to ramp battery production, that this was the only path to scaling production with any speed at all.

Even then he said it'd require "consistently excellent execution" by Tesla to get to that 20 million goal on or before 2030. I expect they can certainly do that- but seems unlikely they'd somehow magically get WAY past that goal vastly sooner than even Elon says they can.

Doubtless if everyone else is still dragging along making crap they'll continue trying to ramp well beyond that in future years... but if you believe Elon they're going to have to have other car makers step up quite a lot for those imagining 50% EVs among new car sales in 10 years.

And mostly those guys besides not being ready on the car front, aren't remotely ready or even seriously working toward being ready, on the battery front.

Ford is still debating if having ANY battery production at all makes sense for them.

GM is working on ONE plant that in another year or two might produce 15-20% less cells than GF-Nevada will produce this year.

Toyota is hoping, in another 2 years, to open a plant to make batteries for hybrids- not even full EVs.

Hyundai is recently in "talks" about the idea of building A battery factory eventually...maybe...

VW, the guys who insist they are taking EVs VERY SERIOUSLY FOR REAL are building A battery plant in Germany... they expect it will open late 2023 to early 2024 with an initial production less than half what GF-N does in 2020, and they hope to expand that to about 2/3rds what GF-N did in 2020.

As I say this bumbling incompetence on the part of legacy is excellent for Tesla investors... but not so great for folks who keep thinking other companies are just gonna start churning out millions of EVs anytime soon.

I agree with most of your post, but I also think that Tesla can scale beyond 20M. Manufacturing, battery, and tech innovation will continue to allow for lower costs and faster ramp-ups in new factories all over the world. I think Elon is careful not to be overly aggressive with long-term goals, but I also know he can adapt to new opportunities and has the ability to execute when others say it’s not possible.

All of this simply demonstrates how people, including people here, aren't particularly rational or consistent. Not that there's anything wrong with that.:rolleyes:

I would suggest you believe I'm being inconsistent because you didn't bother to actually understand what I said. It might be necessary to leave personal biases behind and read it again.

Tesla had settled down to a nice solid $408/share before S&P announced they had decided to include them. By my reckoning it would be above that right now with no announcement. Tesla doesn't need their share price to be higher than that to succeed brilliantly. Anyone who doesn't understand that is confusing the performance of the share price with performance of the underlying company.

It's obviously true that the S&P 500 needed Tesla more than Tesla needed the S&P 500. It boggles my mind why you take issue with something so self-evident.