Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5pTl74.gif

Sold my QS yesterday and bought more TSLA

QS is interesting because of JB's involvement and potential upside if they pull it off, OTOH if they were that spectacular, Tesla would have bought them a long time ago. Maybe Tesla did try to buy them but were rebuffed, I don't know, but the fact that Tesla didn't acquire them gives me pause.

Last edited:
People going into NIO, XPEV and all the other Chinese EVs, because they missed out on Tesla. Those stocks are filled with people who have no conviction in the companies they invested in and will dump at the first sign of trouble.
Long-term, any EV company not named Tesla will be bankrupt or an extremely niche player. FSD will shrink car sales dramatically, so total addressable market for these companies is very small.

I still just don’t understand the “day trader” mindset. To me, it’s like those on the highway who weave in and out of lanes trying to get to their destination 4 minutes faster than the person who just stays in their lane, moving with the flow of traffic, patiently waiting through traffic jams/road blocks/detours. I understand if someone needs the money, but why invest in the market if you aren’t willing to hold long term? I’m always so baffled with the “get rich quick” and the “gambling” mentality
I invested in TSLA because I truly loved the company, products, and mission. Whether the SP rises or falls everyday, is not really my ultimate concern because I know in the end, we will get to our destination.

I still just don’t understand the “day trader” mindset. To me, it’s like those on the highway who weave in and out of lanes trying to get to their destination 4 minutes faster than the person who just stays in their lane, moving with the flow of traffic, patiently waiting through traffic jams/road blocks/detours. I understand if someone needs the money, but why invest in the market if you aren’t willing to hold long term? I’m always so baffled with the “get rich quick” and the “gambling” mentality
I invested in TSLA because I truly loved the company, products, and mission. Whether the SP rises or falls everyday, is not really my ultimate concern because I know in the end, we will get to our destination.
The mindset is easy to understand. Look at today's chart... sell at open, buy back the same shares/calls at 10:30... Bam! You just made a bunch of money.

Edit: It works much better in a tax-free account like a Roth IRA.

Edit 2: I try to do this with a small percentage of my holdings.

I am 95% a buy and hold investor, but 5% of me enjoys the fun of the gamble so I trade a bit for fun. You say "why invest in the market if you aren't willing to hold long term?" That seems like a strange question. The reason is to make money same as you, just in a different way. I'm of the belief that in general buy and hold is a better strategy overall, and certainly is less stressful, but there are plenty of day traders out there making a living. You sound very dismissive of traders in your post, but different people in this world enjoy different things, and that's ok.

Day traders don't operate with a "get rich quick" mindset. Quite the opposite. Day trading is exhausting, very labor-intensive, methodical and repetitive. Rinse and repeat every single day.

It isn't about instant gratification.

Back to that topic, I'm sure the Board or whatever VW has as the equivalent can find "cause" to fire him. Non-competes for employees are often disputable, but for C-level execs, there is usually so much money attached via strings that the C-levels don't bother to try for a job "in the same or a related field" until they are legally in the clear.

German law might be different, but I've had to fire more than one C-level exec and, sadly, went down that rabbit hole with US law.

IIRC in Germany it's only enforceable at all if they provide at least 50% of his total compensation during the non-compete period- which sounds kinda expensive to be worth having him sit around at home but VW pisses away $ all the time so maybe.....AFAIK the max period is 24 months.

Ed Niedermeyer and acolytes tweeting out this article today.

The Biden Administration Needs to Do Something About Tesla

A few points.

First, @Navin ’s post from earlier today has been added to the “Of Merit” thread, in order that all may easily access it - for me, I am going to call it Required Reading for all. Irrespective of what I wrote in 2014 (see my latest “Wayback Machine” post: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable), I think no one should mistake me for a conspiracist. Institutional Investor is, however, the longstanding single most influential trade journal - and it speaks volumes that I can say that despite the near career-ending hatchet job it did on my father so long ago. ==>Read the article!<===

Second, although I had written it in jesting fashion, the logic of my derisive post regarding criticism of those who excoriate “Autopilot” stands: neither NHTSA nor Niedermeyer nor any court in Germany retains any standing when they can denounce that term without simultaneously calling for universal elimination of the word “automobile”.

1. Day traders don't just day trade 1 stock. Theoretically, if you're really good at it, you can find winners everyday. TSLA has down days.
2. Trading is not a get-rich-quick scheme. I'm not a trader but I know plenty of good traders. They all have a system that they rigorously follow. Whether or not that brings result, it's more akin to playing chess than gambling.
3. Also theoretically, you can make a lot more money than investing, yes even in TSLA, if you're really good at it, but only if you're in the top 1% or something like that. Think of sport. You can't really make any money unless you're in the top echelon but that doesn't prevent anybody from playing. Unlike sport though, anyone can partake in trading at any age and with any physical condition and any amount of money. Needless to say, people usually don't last long. Bull market does make it easier to stay in the game; you just make much less if you're not good.
The mindset is also very different. We're investing in TSLA because we believe in the company's execution for the next decade and in fairness. We also believe that the world economy will go on. But, what if we don't believe in any of these things? What if we only believe in ourselves and rather go home with cash than trust someone else with it everyday?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: capster
Day traders don't operate with a "get rich quick" mindset. Quite the opposite. Day trading is exhausting, very labor-intensive, methodical and repetitive. Rinse and repeat every single day.

It isn't about instant gratification.

Have a few friends that do this. Can confirm, chasing that fraction of a percent daily return is quite the grind. Not to mention you generally have to be willing to look past the company you are trading and simply focus on the returns.

I don’t day-trade nor wish to, but this comes off as particularly judgmental. Usually that signals a lack of understanding.

If the SP does what I expect, I'm going make a killing on the way up and down. I have a boatload of calls already that are way up and I will hold them until near Dec. 18/21. Then when the top seems near, I will buy a boatload of shoter-term puts with some of the profits from my calls. (no I would not be a bear as my core shares/LEAPS I am not touching and they will massively dwarf any puts I buy). This could end up being a 10-30 bagger both up and down!
Will your short term puts be way OTM?

Kelly Evans: We're all buying Tesla at the highs

Another cog in the FUD machine. Complaining about “insane” valuation and being forced to buy TSLA due to inclusion. Suggests new ETF based on S&P 500 sans TSLA.

Anyway, not “all” of us are buying at the highs because some of us bought and held a while ago. Tired of paid “journalism” and FUD laced sour grapes excuses for missing the Tesla train.