Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super-manipulation today, crazy! Still ~2.5% up, but feels hollow after yesterday's dumb drop.

But all this on bugger-all volume, buyers didn't turn up yet and noones selling either, just the Hedgies and day-traders...

Gonna laugh my ass-off if a whale turns-up later in the week and bangs this baby above $650 for Friday close.

upload_2020-12-1_21-44-49.png

How about this one: https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1275052286943866880

Mr. Zipper's other Slate posts are all about having people leave cars, so he has an ax to grind with anything that shifts the public preference in the other direction.

That's a good sign, my wifes Twitter account is not on the TSLAQ block list! ;)

Personally, I think his field is urban transportation and his vision is not big on cars. That's a personal preference and it leaves him ignorant of Tesla and biased against all cars. I don't think he is intentionally spreading untrue information though.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Google Translate

The dispute between VW CEO Herbert Diess and works council chairman Bernd Osterloh has escalated and should be settled on Tuesday in the supervisory board.

Diess calls for an early extension of the contract as a vote of confidence in his line of restructuring. The extension should also regulate the balance of power in the group for the time being.

Business Insider learned from supervisory board circles that the VW boss will receive a rejection.

Google Translate

The dispute between VW CEO Herbert Diess and works council chairman Bernd Osterloh has escalated and should be settled on Tuesday in the supervisory board.

Diess calls for an early extension of the contract as a vote of confidence in his line of restructuring. The extension should also regulate the balance of power in the group for the time being.

Business Insider learned from supervisory board circles that the VW boss will receive a rejection.

There was no settlement after 3 hours discussion. They try to solve this in next weeks meeting.

Google Translate

Google Translate

So if he's not extended, is he gonna bail? I'm not familiar with the matter, but this hasn't escalated to a vote of removing him?

Google Translate

I'd bet decent money that he has an offer letter signed "Elon Musk" on his desk already.

I think the difference between you and me is that I favor one side of the manipulations question and realize it is possible I may be wrong and that the answer is actually something quite different. Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but my impression is that you dismiss manipulations outright and always look for an alterative explanation. It'd do us good if you clarified your position. Thx.
My position is that while it is possible that manipulation happens sometimes, it is unlikely to happen regularly or recognizably because there are too many players in the market whose interests don't align. They are not friendly (actually, they're sharks, or maybe velociraptors) and would make far more money screwing each other than screwing retail investors. We have essentially no information at all on the short term "max pain" of individual players, so we have no way to know what they want. Aggregate knowledge tells us little or nothing.

If manipulation were recognizable, then predators would take advantage and nullify it, so it isn't. But the human brain is a pattern recognition machine, so even in the absence of patterns we imagine we see them. Ergo, all of TA. It's all garbage. You know this because it only works on the past, not the future (at least not at a rate greater than chance). And, amazingly (not), it turns out that when the stock price goes the way an individual likes then there's almost never a complaint of "manipulation", but when it doesn't....

All studies of the market have shown that short-term movements are unpredictable. When they are predictable, traders swoop in to take advantage and they become unpredictable again.

So, no, I don't believe there's much manipulation, I don't believe that it's always in one direction, and I don't believe that it's actionable even if present. And I believe that people who sagely explain why any stock did what it did that day (or any time in the past) are pretty much making it up. People who can successfully explain (read: predict) the future, on the other hand, are golden.

But, really, who cares what I think? I'm no expert. I can't predict the future and I can't explain the past, not with any consistency. I think the difference between us is that you think you can. You might want to test that belief, just in the interest of self-knowledge.

Last edited:
That's a good sign, my wifes Twitter account is not on the TSLAQ block list! ;)

Personally, I think his field is urban transportation and his vision is not big on cars. That's a personal preference and it leaves him ignorant of Tesla and biased against all cars. I don't think he is intentionally spreading untrue information though.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Mr. Zipper is most likely not _intentionally_ trying to harm Tesla, but he's supporting his opinion with questionable logic. When the real world data doesn't support his world-view, he shouldn't be resorting to using questionable data. That makes his actions worse than harmless and thus inexcusable.

This was odd. I don't see what benefit Tesla would have with such a hypothetical merger, perhaps other than people and factory space. And maybe removing a potential competitor from the scene.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk: If rival asked for a merger he'd 'have that conversation' — CNBC

"I think we're definitely not going to launch a hostile takeover," Musk told Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfner on Tuesday during a live event streamed to YouTube.

Döpfner pressed Musk if he's consider a friendly takeover. "If somebody said, 'hey, we think it would be a good idea to merge with Tesla,' we'd certainly have that conversation. But we don't want it to be a hostile takeover situation," Musk replied.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This was odd. I don't see what benefit Tesla would have with such a hypothetical merger, perhaps other than people and factory space. And maybe removing a potential competitor from the scene.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk: If rival asked for a merger he'd 'have that conversation' — CNBC

"I think we're definitely not going to launch a hostile takeover," Musk told Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfner on Tuesday during a live event streamed to YouTube.

Döpfner pressed Musk if he's consider a friendly takeover. "If somebody said, 'hey, we think it would be a good idea to merge with Tesla,' we'd certainly have that conversation. But we don't want it to be a hostile takeover situation," Musk replied.
Because if you have the conversation you can rationally discuss things. As in "We'd love to do anything that furthers the mission. How would a merger do that?" With luck it leads to a discussion of what other actions your rival might take that would further the mission. And furthering the mission is what it's all about.

Elon just said he was sleeping at the Berlin factory tonight....wow ramp problems already!
SELL SELL!
Actually I look at it the other way around. BUY! BUY! BUY!

Elon doesn't sleep on factory floors to help dig holes and set piers during the construction period. Elon sleeps on the factory floor when stuff like robot setup and checkout is going on. It makes we wonder what "Elon interesting" thing is being setup. The drive unit building looks ready. Maybe they are setting up lines?