Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice close! I can see hanging around the ATH close for a couple of days while people come to grips with how they're going to acquire all the shares they will need. After some time puzzling it out, they'll say WTF and just buy at the market price when they have to. So the front runners will gradually accumulate for the next couple of weeks and after (maybe?) the 14th it will get hairy. But what do I know?

Nice close! I can see hanging around the ATH close for a couple of days while people come to grips with how they're going to acquire all the shares they will need. After some time puzzling it out, they'll say WTF and just buy at the market price when they have to. So the front runners will gradually accumulate for the next couple of weeks and after (maybe?) the 14th it will get hairy. But what do I know?

What are the exact dates for the one tranche? Is it 14th - 18th (to be all set by the 21st)? I wasn't clear if there was a 3 day buying period, or 7, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Google Translate

The dispute between VW CEO Herbert Diess and works council chairman Bernd Osterloh has escalated and should be settled on Tuesday in the supervisory board.

Diess calls for an early extension of the contract as a vote of confidence in his line of restructuring. The extension should also regulate the balance of power in the group for the time being.

Business Insider learned from supervisory board circles that the VW boss will receive a rejection.

After hours, so OT....

if you're wondering who super powerful works council chairman Bernd Osterloh is....his 2IC at Porsche was an interesting guy too....2x European champion in Thai Boxing....

Diess needs to have Osterloh on his side to have a future at VW, that is for sure. There is no way the Family will go against Osterloh (since that would imply going against the workers and the union), Lower Saxony is run by the SPD political party (of which Osterloh is also a member).... I would say it's not looking good for Diess tonight.

What are the exact dates for the one tranche? Is it 14th - 18th (to be all set by the 21st)? I wasn't clear if there was a 3 day buying period, or 7, etc.

As has been said over and over and over: there is no single date range that it will be done. Each fund has their own rules for how/when/if they will buy. But most index funds are either +/-3 or +/-7 days. Benchmark funds are a whole different ball of yarn.

Actually I look at it the other way around. BUY! BUY! BUY!

Elon doesn't sleep on factory floors to help dig holes and set piers during the construction period. Elon sleeps on the factory floor when stuff like robot setup and checkout is going on. It makes we wonder what "Elon interesting" thing is being setup. The drive unit building looks ready. Maybe they are setting up lines?

Unfortunately, they don´t have the permit for that yet.
Google Translate

I know many people are yelling manipulation today, but Tesla was green in a sea of EV/new energy apocalypse today.

Nio -10%
Xpeng -11%
Fisker -8%
Li -3%
Hyliion -5%
Kandi -12%(hit by short sellers today with fraud allegations of inflating numbers to attract investors)

Stay at home stocks were not getting much love today either, however I think some new money is coming in vs sector swinging as the drops I saw today wasn't very aggressive unlike a few weeks prior. But sucks if you own any ZM today.

Last edited:

This seems to be a reoccurring theme from Elon every 6 months or so. When you are growing fast important to emphasize the small stuff so employees and do not become complacent.

Although I do believe the small stuff is important the game changers are the new 4680 batteries, FSD, body castings, and the scale of multiple factories. These will set Tesla apart in the EV race.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme from Elon every 6 months or so. When you are growing fast important to emphasize the small stuff so employees and do not become complacent.

Although I do believe the small stuff is important the game changers are the new 4680 batteries, FSD, body castings, and the scale of multiple factories. These will set Tesla apart in the EV race.
He's sandbagging the Q4 financials. Setting expectations low. Watch what happens.

Barron's - 45 minutes ago: Tesla Aside, It Was a Sell-on-the-News Day for Electric-Vehicle Stocks

Excerpt:

Tesla stock rose 3% to almost $585 a share on Tuesday. It didn't go up as much as some might have expected, but it performed far better than most other EV stocks.

Ten other sector stocks dropped an average of 10%. Those include NIO (NIO), XPeng (XPEV), Li Auto (LI), Workhorse (WKHS), Fisker (FSR), Lordstown Motors (RIDE), QuantumScape (QS), Hyliion (HYLN). Small-capitalization EV stocks including Arcimoto (FUV), Electrameccanica Vehicles (SOLO) and Kandi Technologies (KND) fell as well.

Barron's - 45 minutes ago: Tesla Aside, It Was a Sell-on-the-News Day for Electric-Vehicle Stocks

Excerpt:

Tesla stock rose 3% to almost $585 a share on Tuesday. It didn't go up as much as some might have expected, but it performed far better than most other EV stocks.

Ten other sector stocks dropped an average of 10%. Those include NIO (NIO), XPeng (XPEV), Li Auto (LI), Workhorse (WKHS), Fisker (FSR), Lordstown Motors (RIDE), QuantumScape (QS), Hyliion (HYLN). Small-capitalization EV stocks including Arcimoto (FUV), Electrameccanica Vehicles (SOLO) and Kandi Technologies (KND) fell as well.
The best thing about this article is that it doesn't list Nikola as one of the EV companies. I hope it stays that way (they're down 14,89 % today :D;))

I was 90%+ sure TSLA was going to go up after the S&P announcement so I bought short-term calls. I’m not going to rehash all the arguments here written by others that led to this - we all know them. The point of me posting my trades is to give a strategy on how to take advantage using options at a time like that when the movement of the stock was a very high chance in one direction. I wouldn’t risk a significant % of my portfolio (majority TSLA shares plus some LEAPS) on that bet though, but I wanted to show how a smallish % of one’s investment (willing to lose) can become something significant if done properly and with conviction. That was my 40x in January. 40 x 1% of a portfolio is a lot (later diluted since the rest of the portfolio went up as well of course).

I don’t think TSLA is dropping back to pre-S&P levels after the buying is done. I agree there will be a new higher level. I do think the SP will overshoot its ultimate new level as it usually does (go look at previous very large increases over weeks - always followed by a drop back of some amount).

The point of buying puts (and maybe sell some way OTM calls when IV is crazy high) is to take some of the profit from the calls I will make if the SP keeps going up, and try to squeeze a little more from the anticipated downward correction. The profit I will use (again I will only use some) will be “house money” at that point so I am willing to lose it. I estimate a 70-80% chance of some sort of significant drop IF the SP has gone to a very high level (over 750-850). The higher it goes, the higher my conviction that there will be a drop and thus the higher the profits I will get by playing both directions if I am right. I oils never expect to time the movements perfectly but I don’t have to in order to do well.

So in the interest of sharing, where do you see as a good point to sell those short-term calls? I initially thought Dec 18th, since that's when all the trading/frenzy will be concentrated on (due to options expiration), but then I've had a change of heart.

I think SP will peak the week of Dec 21st, possibly as late as Dec 23rd. By that point, the only activity left would be the laggard funds trying to avoid the massive trading of Dec 18th. But at that point, there also won't be (m)any sellers left, leaving the laggard funds to raise the buy offers until a long is willing to give up their position. That's countered by the presence of shorts thinking that it's a good time to start shorting again.

I wonder if GF Shanghai feels left out.

MW-HX883_musk_d_20200107091139_ZG.jpg

I doubt it.

Their one goal: “ To inform the public about automated vehicles and their potential so everyone can fully participate in shaping the future of transportation.”
What I hear “ To inform consumers about automated vehicles and their disruptive potential so everyone can clamor for the status quo.”
And “ Our members believe that we can only achieve the potential benefits of driverless technology if the public and policymakers know the honest facts.” means they are a policy lobby group even though they claim to be only educational since only PAVE knows which facts are honest.
The Public will get into AV’s when that is what stops at the curb when they hail a ride. Did The Public have a say in the flat screen TV before that was the only practical choice? The CD? The smart phone?