Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNBS just had the NYU professor Aswath Damodaran bashing the value of Tesla. Does anybody know why he if considered the "dean of valuation"? Has anybody made money from his predictions? Does anybody have any source showing his track record? My limited skill of Google has found nothing that show his value except that he is highly respected and talks a good game. Why this respect? From writing a few finance books?

All these talking heads and analysts who consider only current status and numbers to 'determine' valuation are completely missing the point of companies like Tesla. They can't get their heads around how truly disruptive some companies are and how quickly they are going to dominate huge opportunities. It's not unlike all the know-it-alls who slammed Amazon's valuation as just an online bookseller, or Apple as just a hardware seller. Too short sighted to see what the world is going to look like in 5-10 years time, when Tesla is dominating the auto industry, is the leader in batteries and sustainable energy, beating the insurance industry to a pulp, is printing money with robotaxi service.

Fine with me. It's only a matter of time before the general public understands. And that is more time for us to continue to add to our holdings.

751A9BE3-30F6-4C58-BA99-D4186C256BF5.jpeg

CNBS just had the NYU professor Aswath Damodaran bashing the value of Tesla. Does anybody know why he if considered the "dean of valuation"? Has anybody made money from his predictions? Does anybody have any source showing his track record? My limited skill of Google has found nothing that show his value except that he is highly respected and talks a good game. Why this respect? From writing a few finance books?

He’s a “respected” academic professor. The guy has been undervaluing TSLA since 2013. I remember he caused a couple dips in share price when he released his numbers back in the early days. And he was long for a brief period. I think largely irrelevant to TSLA share price these days.

Today's reminder that you should never trust the Vampire Squid. The Dark Lord Goldmanort didn't switch to Buy rating after a decade of saying Sell for no reason. He is trying to get something, it might be as trivial as another share offering or it might be something more malicious. As always with The Bank Which Must Not Be Named, we won't know until after it's far too late to do anything about it. So remain vigilant.

I'm calling it, Tesla is moving into renewable food sources now. Rat burgers courtesy of Demolition man.

Probably just a random tweet, but you never know with that guy. Maybe he had a marathon of bad sci-fi movies, Prometheus and Demolition Man. Or he liked the autonomous EVs in the movie and believes this is akin to Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and giving it to humans.
Gustavo is great at finding a negative...

LFP is happy to be charged to 100%, so for normal daily use the winter, just charge to a higher SOC.

All battery types lose some range in winter, and winter road trips are not common.

EDIT: This is prismatic LFP, so probably not ideal thermal management, but CATL has a lot experience with these batteries. Maybe this battery type ideally needs a heat pump, we don't know how the complaining customers used the cars, but cabin heating was probably extensively used. It isn't hard to find a few unhappy customers, and Gustavo excels in that area. 4680 LFP should have better thermal management.
Inside EVs is a click bait site in my book by this point.

Last edited:
Matt Smith projects FSD revenues per quarter for 2021. They are quite explosive without robotaxis.

IMO, he's worth following on Twitter. https://twitter.com/MatchasmMatt
Anyone who doubts the value of FSD without Robotaxi should take a look at this video.

Might not agree 100% with all of his numbers but even if you don't it's obvious how valuable FSD will be.

Very soon.

He’s a “respected” academic professor. The guy has been undervaluing TSLA since 2013. I remember he caused a couple dips in share price when he released his numbers back in the early days. And he was long for a brief period. I think largely irrelevant to TSLA share price these days.

He also said the following:
"I think very early in the pandemic, Zoom and Peloton to me became the symbols of lazy investing — lazy investing in the sense of, ‘Hey, I want to take advantage of the pandemic. Let me pick the companies that I think will benefit,’” Damodaran, known as the “dean of valuation” for his company analyses, said on “Fast Money.”

Umm...maybe some investors saw the light and figured that there would be demand for those products? He just sounds a little salty he missed out just like he did on $TSLA :rolleyes: