Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to sincerely believe that Elon has asked the SpaceX launch of Starship SN8 not to commence until after the close of market today. I don't think he would want Mike Burry, Jim Chanos, David Einhorn, Gordy Johnson, Dana Hull, Linette Lopez, or even Mark Speigel to miss out on watching todays trading action simply because they tuned in to the Starship Launch and missed TSLA closing at ATH's even after raising another $5 Billion with additional shares. Its great to see Elon looking out for those having a tough time in 2020.

Here's my problem with the "wouldn't mind losing some shares" line of thinking. I think I am willing to part with shares for $1000 this month. I don't expect the stock to stay at those heights for long. So I picture it squeezing over $1000 on or about the 18th and then falling back to $700 or a similar lower range the following week.

But what if the price shoots up like that and the option isn't exercised? I would want to sell a block of 100 shares then, while the price is temporarily still that high. But then what if it IS exercised just after I sell my 100? I don't want to lose 200 shares at that price! I have a higher target for the next block! Or what if there is a "slow and steady" rise to $1000 and it doesn't look like a squeeze after all, and I decide to hang on instead of selling in anticipation of a drop?

Bottom line I feel like the "I'm willing to part with shares at that price" doesn't play that well with selling calls to make the transaction if there's the chance it will take a short-term squeeze to get there. I don't think the $770 premium for a Dec-24-$1000 call is worth all that juggling on a $100K transaction.

It would be easier if I was willing to part with shares at $700 -- but I'm not. :)
To be clear, with these trades (which is a small % of my TSLA holdings) I am betting that TSLA will be less than $1000 (or $900) at the close on 12/31. I am confident in that bet. I do not want to lose any shares, but if I lose that bet I will let those options be exercised. I feel like I am selling lottery tickets, and right now people are willing to pay a lot more than they should for them.

I have other long calls that I will sell if the price shoots up before then. I also have Dec 31 $700 calls that I could let exercise so I don't lose any shares.

(This is in a Roth IRA so there are no tax considerations).

At first I thought it was an opt out for that line of GM, but if that's all they sell, then I'm starting to catch on. So ~17% of Cadi dealerships are retiring from new car sales? They must see the writing on the wall to give up the brand completely AND likely think the cadi looks like a grill on wheels and has no chance of selling, at least in some neighborhoods.

So... when Grandpa goes to upgrade his cadi and the place is closed, what will he buy instead? A Hummer?

Watching on CNBC the CEO of BLINK ticker blnk stock up 1411% this year. Here is a company that is making charging stations with HUGE losses and very little income, under a million a quarter. The Walmart near me has has six charging stations from Electrify America and I have almost never seen anybody charging there. I charge at home with my Tesla because it's cheaper. I only use charging stations when I travel. Other than charging at a hotel on the road I don't think I will ever have a use for anything but Tesla superchargers. Unless of course it was cheaper and convenient. Last I checked it would cost me $400 to buy an adaptor so I could charge at my favorite Walmart.

Elon just confirmed, point blank, that he moved to Texas personally.

was this the link for that? (/s)

upload_2020-12-8_11-41-14.png

My wife bought a Toyota Camry not too long ago. (I begged her to get a Tesla, but she's not comfortable with the electric thing yet. I've tried divorcing her for these reasons but it's harder than it sounds. Anyway, I digress)...

She wanted to sell some of our TSLA to buy the car. Turns out Toyota had 0% financing so we obviously didn't do that. TSLA was around $260 at that time. Had we done that, the car would have cost us almost a quarter million dollars. That's an expensive Camry.

Edit: At least it was a hybrid with "low speed EV mode". (BTW, it's in EV mode for about 5 seconds before the engine kicks in. Yuck.)

Is it one of those self-chargers? Will save you a fortune... /s