Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I look at the SP and think "oh, I wish it were higher" I have to mentally slap myself and point out that it's over 3k, which is triple my 2020 price target from back in January. Amazing.

It might change the total quantity of gold that exists, but it does change the supply of gold that is available on the market to be purchased.
After thinking more I've decide it's both. Benchmarked funds can decide how much to hold and that can change, tracking funds have to buy a certain amount and hold it (which only changes quarterly). So we have more buying demand and lower available supply.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, especially if you would have use for the $ if TSLA broke above $1,200 by J'22. My guess is you're hoping it doesn't so you don't leave $ on the table.

So you're thinking:

1. Pocket cash 12/18 by selling covered calls
2. If after SP500 inclusion there's a dip, buy calls to close the original sold ones at a lower $, keep the difference, maybe buy more shares
3. If there's not a dip, hope TSLA rises but doesn't hit $1,200 by J'22
4. If it does hit $1,200, take the money on assignment, don't regret what might have been (say TSLA at $1,500 J'22).

#4 is the real worry, but it's a first world worry.

#4 is a real problem but hey. That would be a ~60% upside from here :rolleyes:

I would not hold until Jan. Assuming there is going to be a big dip next year. If not, 60% gain guaranteed.

I’m thinking..... :confused:

Reactions: Yoona
Well that worked out rather nicely. I was outside stringing up fairy lights around the garden arch and came back inside to find it had executed. My lucky day!

upload_2020-12-10_17-7-23.png

The arch, the fairy lights, and the Tesla
(for anyone who was wondering)

I've just checked your profile page and you have 1143 'informative' post ratings. That qualifies you as "somewhat nerdy". It's a badge of honor!

I wouldn't read too much into that - I've got more than 8000 "informative" ratings and I'm just posting wise-crack most of the time...

Decided to put in an aggressive buy order for a few Dec 18 620 C in the mid 20’s, last night.

Didn’t look at my account until later this morning and they hit! And has doubled since. Only a few though.

Though I am a long HODL’er, who has not sold a single TSLA share thus far, its nice to see some green in recent purchases.

Last edited:
Are S&P funds allowed to loan shares to shorts? If so, doesn't that add some shares back into the float and reduce the impact of the demand from inclusion. Not a finance person, just a dumb engineer.

Shorting adds magical shares to the effective float. But they can get the shares from pretty much anybody who has them. More possible lenders just means that the interest rates shorts borrow at are lower.

Reactions: AZRI11 and FrankSG
Are S&P funds allowed to loan shares to shorts? If so, doesn't that add some shares back into the float and reduce the impact of the demand from inclusion. Not a finance person, just a dumb engineer.
Short % has steadily declined and it's safe to assume the trend will continue as TSLA becomes part of the index.

Just sold a cash covered put for Dec 24th $470 trike. Premium is $11 which seems decent. I think it's very unlikely that it doesn't expire worthless, or at least very much in the money. Would have been better to sell at open but I was occupied. (lame day job) Might be a good way to leverage cash that you have sitting around not being used.

At 70, retired, and no kids, Roadster can't get here fast enough. Wife won't like it though; She thinks the S is too fast. Might have to just live with the tri-motor Cybertruck that really can't get here fast enough.

Can't take it with you; Most toys and all that... :)

OK, you get a pass then :D

As for "too fast", yes, same boat here. I'm banned from ludicrous launches from red lights as wifey almost passes out and gets most upset :( and that's just in my XP100DL, which isn't even that quick these days (by Tesla standards).

I had a SP90D one time as a loaner, that was already stupid-fast, felt like being punched on the nose when you nailed it... I have to admit that I'm more buying the R2 for how it looks than the performance, although I may be tempted to go to Nurburgring with it too.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, especially if you would have use for the $ if TSLA broke above $1,200 by J'22. My guess is you're hoping it doesn't so you don't leave $ on the table.

So you're thinking:

1. Pocket cash 12/18 by selling covered calls
2. If after SP500 inclusion there's a dip, buy calls to close the original sold ones at a lower $, keep the difference, maybe buy more shares
3. If there's not a dip, hope TSLA rises but doesn't hit $1,200 by J'22
4. If it does hit $1,200, take the money on assignment, don't regret what might have been (say TSLA at $1,500 J'22).

#4 is the real worry, but it's a first world worry.
#5 - TSLA rises over $1000 in early or mid 2021 and @gabeincal has no shares available to sell to take profits if he is still expecting a dip.

I'm not criticizing his strategy, just pointing out another possibility. I personally would not sell covered calls against my entire portfolio.

That's what I'm planning to do here shortly- double synergy as I'm specifically planning to do it with a chunk of shares that are still in short-term gains territory until July/August timeframe anyway, probably sell 1k strikes.
Are you waiting for RSI to get above 85 and IV above 110? I'm looking for these conditions next week.

My wife couldn’t care less about money or stocks. But it turns out she likes DCA.

Our toaster is a 2-slice and we wanted to warm up 2 full bagels sliced for breakfast. I wanted to warm mine first so she gets the warmer one but she said let’s do half of yours and half of mine. Then later, we do the rest. Genius :D

You can afford a 4 slice toaster. Unless tou purposefully didn't tell your wife how much tsla you have. Honestly little life improvement like that should be looked into.

Take Theragun example please. If I was still a fiscally responsible person who budget my spending, I'd never spend money on such an expensive toy. But turns out, it is now slowly healing my old sports injuries when all the chiropractors, therapist and registered massage therapist couldn't do a thing.

#5 - TSLA rises over $1000 in early or mid 2021 and @gabeincal has no shares available to sell to take profits if he is still expecting a dip.

I'm not criticizing his strategy, just pointing out another possibility. I personally would not sell covered calls against my entire portfolio.

After the inclusion the IV should go down and on the IV alone he should be able to close the trades early and make some money IMO.