Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you're asking in jest, but the relevant interval is sub minute. I don't think anyone can update you for it to be useful. If you really care about that number, it should be easy to subscribe either with your broker or directly on NASDAQ.
Do you know if Fidelity Active Trader pro or Thinkorswim platform allows these subscriptions? I paid the $15 to nasdaq, even downloaded Firefox with Flash on my Mac, but it keeps hanging up. I have heard it mention here that IBKR account allows the subscription - wondering if others do too.

+1 delivery complete in Az today. She's a real beauty!

Build quality excellent - no sign of EOY rush and arrived sooner than expected. Smooth, touchless process. Only a very minor nick on the door trim (~2 mm). Frunk panel actually fits better than on our Model 3 and drives more solid overall. No regrets - get 'em while you still can I say.

Everything here tells me they got this 500K in the bag as rumored.

View attachment 617788
We picked ours up last week, and I've been astounded at the build quality (VIN is 72xxx and it's a '21 with the Tesla USB stick for Sentry mode, double-pane glass, metal scroll wheels on the steering wheel, etc.)

I don't nit-pick but even my co-workers that do can't find a fault in the panels or any of 'usual' complaints. Delivery process could not have been smoother, even my dad was impressed...and that's high praise for the ol' fella.

Bought more on a dip last week because I think my co-workers will put in their Y orders after seeing ours. Bullish!

I'm confused by your post. It makes it sound as if it's necessary to liquidate the shares simply to move them to a new brokerage.

Exactly, why can’t you do an in-kind transfer and not incur any taxes? I am considering moving funds over to TD Ameritrade to have the flexibility of their LOC programs against shares without selling any.

I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the Model S/X upgrade is switching to the new aluminum body casting process from the Model Y. Elon mentioned that the S/X also use cast aluminum body parts, but they require heat treating while the Y doesnt because of a new alloy. The new castings could result in higher margins for the S&X.

A better surprise would be if they’re using 4680 structural packs, but I think we’re a year out from that.

At the very least we better be getting heat pump & octovalve.
Magic 8 Ball says "All of the above".

Reactions: hoang51
(Perhaps the right thread to continue on this topic. Taking the perspective of share of Tesla in TAM.)
I used to have the same view until I started seeing other EVs, particularly chinese EVs finding customers.
Lucid is perhaps the only player as of now who are good and efficiency, which influences the battery costs which influences the cost of the car. Sure scale is necessary, but going by where Nio and the likes I do see decent chance of someone like Lucid being able to get to scale. If Lucid can't make it, I wonder what does it take for any player besides Tesla and some of the very low budget cars in China, to make it.

My bad. I realized now that I didn't notice the context, "obsolete" (Lucid Air range, performance Vs Plaid)

44.3 M shares traded already today, with Buyer's successfully capping SP btwn $635-$640 for over 4 hrs. This has been a master class in extracting liquidity from the Market.

I have no doubt this deliberate 'rolling barrage' of slowly increasing SPs will succeed in extracting the required number of shares from current TSLA holders (and shortzes) by Dec 24.

And does this change your expectation on the peak SP either this week or the next?
IIRC, at some point after the inclusion announcement, you were seeing $800+ as very likely?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
And does this change your expectation on the peak SP either this week or the next?
IIRC, at some point after the inclusion announcement, you were seeing $800+ as very likely?

Model of Supply and Demand for TSLA shares:

S&P500.Supply-vs.Demand.at.75B.png

The point where the supply and deman curves intersect is the equilibrium SP, which in theory occurs after some hysteresis, but in practice equilibrium is never reached because of other events, ie:
  • Q4 P&D
  • FSD Beta
  • Model S refresh
  • Giga Shanghai Phase 3
This chart is produced from actual data, given some assumptions.

Last edited:

What's the reasoning for having the "Supply of Shares" line as is?

Looks like it predicts supply of -100M shares at a stock price of $550, and -240M at a stock price of $470.

It also looks like it predicts supply of +950M shares around a stock price of $1,150. I didn't know every current TSLA shareholder, including all of TMC, including myself, and including Elon were selling by then o_O

Last edited:

My bad, looks like I mistook you with one of the members expecting a squeeze, similar rise (~80%) as in July and August.
Do you mind sharing a bit more on how you arrive at this data?
Also, I thought index funds need 130M shares.
I am not sure if I am understanding the graph properly. Is it saying $671 is equilibrium price point?

Reactions: UncaNed
My bad, looks like I mistook you with one of the members expecting a squeeze, similar rise (~80%) as in July and August.
Do you mind sharing a bit more on how you arrive at this data?
Also, I thought index funds need 130M shares.
I am not sure if I am understanding the graph properly. Is it saying $671 is equilibrium price point?

Looks like @Artful Dodger is still of the opinion that, as the stock price fluctuates, indexers have to buy different numbers of shares. This has been discussed at length. Rob Maurer does the best job of showing why it's not true in his S&P videos, and why indexers will approximately own the same number of shares regardless of what the stock price does.

What's the reasoning for having the "Supply of Shares" line as is?

Looks like it predicts supply of -100M shares at a stock price of $550, and -240M at a stock price of $470 o_O
That's the change in supply of shares (which is what Index funds must make happen by Dec 24). Think of 'Supply' as the number of additional shares which become available, above or below the Dec 11 baseline w. equilibrium SP at $609.

Obviously, the entire inventory of shares is now over 955M, with about 20% of those locked up by insiders (mostly Elon).

The goal of the Index Funds over the next 12 trading sessions must be to raise the share price enough to make all the shares they need available for purchase.

I believe their secondary goal will be to control the daily climb to minimize wild swings in the SP.

Last edited:
That's the change in supply of shares (which is what Index funds must make happen by Dec 24). Think of 'Supply' as the number of additional shares which become available, above or below the Dec 11 baseline w. equilibrium SP at $609

But why is it the way it is? What's your reasoning for making it the way it is? (is it your graph?)

You can't just draw a line on a graph and say that's what the supply of available shares will be, without providing some explanation why you think so.

Looks like @Artful Dodger is still of the opinion that, as the stock price fluctuates, indexers have to buy different numbers of shares. This has been discussed at length. Rob Maurer does the best job of showing why it's not true in his S&P videos, and why indexers will approximately own the same number of shares regardless of what the stock price does.
Your position results in an untentable demand curve. Plot one out for yourself.

• Disagree
Reactions: lafrisbee
I was tracking the imbalance number today as it was getting published. It's updated every 5 seconds from 350 pm till close.

It started at 40k or so on the buy side and went up to 120k before settling at what @JBRR shows above just prior to close. Wanted to note that, as this snapshot doesn't tell the full story.

It felt like the buy imbalance was trying to pull the price up, and it reluctantly went up a bit. Pretty similar to how it did last Thursday or Friday as I was watching it.

For those of you who are on IBKR, you can just add the imbalance column to your view. Just need a nasdaq total view subscription which is $15 per month.
Thanks!
I was trying to find this feature in IBKR, to no avail.