Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fund manager loses job shorting Tesla. Hopefully this starts a trend. :)

Without a Clunie – the fund manager who shorted Tesla is shown the door - Master Investor

"Over the last three years it has been the worst performing of the 108 funds in the Targeted Absolute Return sector with a loss of 23.7%, which is well below its objective of generating positive absolute returns over a rolling three year period. Shorting Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) and Scottish Mortgage (LON:SMT), two of the year’s best performing stocks, didn’t exactly help, with assets under management shrinking from £1.2bn to £165m over the last 12 months. "

Attachments

• 7328E655-3D2B-4D84-98B2-DC77CCE49E9D.jpeg
    7328E655-3D2B-4D84-98B2-DC77CCE49E9D.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 74
Question for the short term option traders out there:

Is the market giving us one last opportunity to get in? Either the market thinks the S&P inclusion will be a nothing burger or it is completely underestimating the potential for a squeeze. I still believe the benchmark funds are waiting to see what happens to the stock price before they jump in. The index funds OTOH will need to hit that buy button and all indications are that will start soon as tomorrow.

If IV continues to drop today I might nibble a bit more than I already have, this is too much fun not to partake :). Not advice.

This chart is produced from actual data, given some assumptions.
Often I find your contributions valuable. However, carelessness with consequential words and neglect of justification for your opinions, coupled with a seeming casual approach to information usage detracts from the value. This post, for example, could be useful were it based on fact but we have no way to know. Please adopt some discipline because quite a few of su want to be able to rely on your work.Right now we cannot.

Other people have already commented on the `...given some assumptions...` part.
`actual data` is meaningless. Completely false charts are made of actual data. The word `data` does not necessarily imply truth.
When a large part of ones life has been derived from statistical analysis and information management ones learns to be very careful about rules of evidence. Failing to do so invariably ends out with fallacies displayed as fact. Current US politics is instructive in this regard. Forgive me for belaboring this point, but I do, like many of us, want to be able to rely on your work.
`data
Pronunciation /ˈdeɪtə/ See synonyms for data
Translate data into Spanish

[paste:font size="4"]NOUN

mass noun
  • 1Facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis.

‘there is very little data available’
    1. 1.1The quantities, characters, or symbols on which operations are performed by a computer, which may be stored and transmitted in the form of electrical signals and recorded on magnetic, optical, or mechanical recording media.

‘Argote gives the example of old recordings of film or data stored on magnetic tape.’
    2. 1.2Philosophy Things known or assumed as facts, making the basis of reasoning or calculation.

‘The roots of relativism lie not in empirical data but in certain epistemological and metaphysical preconceptions.’`
      from Lexico

Just a quick service announcement... after 2-3 years of teasing a store in Hungary, Tesla started hiring for their Budapest location. Finally, Hungarian Tesla owners won't need to drive (or get a trailer to get transported to) to Austria for service.

About the size of the market here:
  • Country of 10 million people
  • 3,5-ish million passenger cars in circulation
  • 11k EVs and 13k hybrids in the fleet
  • 150k-ish new car sales per year; majority is corporate fleets; BMW is around 900 cars per year for example
  • 2k BEV + 1k PHEV sold last year, but now there is a more generous government incentive
  • Tesla falls outside the threshold of the incentive (grant of 7k EUR for up to 31k retail price; grant of 1.4k EUR for 31k-42k retail price. Cheapest Model 3 is 52k EUR gross)

Last edited: